Well that’s disappointing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I will be buying another new pickup sometime after January 2023, it may be as late as January 2024, depends if & when my current one begins costing me money

I will likely get another Eco-diesel
It will be my last Factory Order

After that, i will be going with a Modern Frame & a 1956 Chevy 1/2 Ton Body

mb33458

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 etorque
No Hurricane in 2023 Rams.

The entire eTorque system is 100 lbs, not much of a difference in total weight of the truck.

You seem to be conflating stop/start and eTorque when talking about when it 'does not engage'. Stop/start may or may not occur due to various conditions, but eTorque is more than how Ram restarts the motor. It also assists the gas motor when accelerating below a certain RPM and during shifts. It gets that energy from the battery, of course, but the battery gets some recharing every time you slow down. It recaptures the energy in the form of electricity during decelerating/braking. that would normally be wasted as heat. Recaptured electricity is "free" in that the gas motor did not have to contribute work to create it and is how that extra weight saves fuel beyond just start/stop.

If the cost and complexity is worth it or not is a seperate question and likely varies from owner to owner. It's not something I'm really that interested in, though.
Great assessment, also remember the etorque system has no alternator. The lack of an alternator is where a small savings in hp is realized. I have a V6 etorque and I am happy with my 19.5 mpg average, whether towing hauling or just driving. It works for me, as others have said it might not work for you. I live in S. FLA if it's really hot I keep the AC at max (like I did today) or I just shut the Etorgue off (stop start). Otherwise (most of the time) I just drive my truck and dont worry about anything.

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Wow, now it's all adding-up....I actually picked up a '22 about 6 months ago and had a hard time finding a non-etorque version, especially coupled with the inventory shortages. I did find one, but that is concerning moving forward.
Yes, it's one small step in the indoctrination of EV's for ALL. No choices, you do what everyone else does and like it...because WE say you should.

coobie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 big horn
Engine
5.7 hemi
Great assessment, also remember the etorque system has no alternator. The lack of an alternator is where a small savings in hp is realized. I have a V6 etorque and I am happy with my 19.5 mpg average, whether towing hauling or just driving. It works for me, as others have said it might not work for you. I live in S. FLA if it's really hot I keep the AC at max (like I did today) or I just shut the Etorgue off (stop start). Otherwise (most of the time) I just drive my truck and dont worry about anything.
++1 I purchased my 2022 Ram 1500 with 5.7 hemi etorque back in July like it so far. 17.8 average city/highway around 21-22 highway driving 60 mph.If your doing 70 plus MPH mileage drops like a rock.Radio gets a little goofy sometimes HATE the Dial shifter..

Attachments

• tempImageVzGcNp.png
    tempImageVzGcNp.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
I am going to the dealer Tuesday to see if I can order a 2022 / 2023 classic with the regular hemi. We shall see!

bborzell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque
14,000 miles on my ‘22 Laramie 5.7 with eTorque. 2/3 of miles are towing our camper.

Mileage is acceptable, additional 130 lbs. of torque is great for towing. No complaints here. But, then again, I actually own one.

trevorp12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 etorque
I have been curious how the E-Torque could save fuel

It does not engage if the HVAC System is in use.
It does not engage if the Alternator is working, like if you are running over head lights.
There may be other times that it will not engage

Now there are the basics:
a non e-torgue Hemi does not have the WEIGHT of that huge battery, nor does it have that heavy unit sitting inside of the engine compartment

How does EXTRA Weight save fuel ?

I think that a lot of people will be looking at the new Hurricane Engine

[ There is a possibility that the E-Torque will only be on the Ram 5th Generation.

If that is the case, Stellantis will have another reason to keep the 4th Generation Rams, without E-Torque ]

( I would never have bought the 5th Gen anyway )

Therre is no alternator on etorques, it is the etorque. It provides low end torque off line or at low driving speeds like 5 mph. In the hemi it's 130 ft lbs so it's a decent little bit.
I'm a new etorque owner(brand new, has 800 miles), and although I wasn't a fan, it's pretty shocking how smooth the technology is when it is engaged. That alone makes me more confident in how long it will last. When start stop is engaged, you can't even tell the engine turns back on.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Therre is no alternator on etorques, it is the etorque. It provides low end torque off line or at low driving speeds like 5 mph. In the hemi it's 130 ft lbs so it's a decent little bit.
I'm a new etorque owner(brand new, has 800 miles), and although I wasn't a fan, it's pretty shocking how smooth the technology is when it is engaged. That alone makes me more confident in how long it will last. When start stop is engaged, you can't even tell the engine turns back on.
Not with a six cylinder,but I imagine with a hemi and some headers it could be nerve wracking to deal with.

Bj0480

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't want to speak for them, but many people are of the opinion that the etorque system adds complexity that could and probably will have issues down the road. Just more things to break after the warranty expires, which means they'd be paying to repair a system they don't want. Especially if the type of driving you do doesn't include a lot of city type driving. For me, etorque didn't save me any fuel because I don't really have any long stop lights or stop signs on my daily commute. The etorque system gives your vehicle stop/start, which is really the only part of it that can save fuel. But again, only if you regularly sit at a stop for any length of time. I had etorque on my last truck, and I bought a device to turn stop/start off until I wanted to turn it back on.
I have the stop/start function on my 2020 ram. It is not an e-tourqe engine. I was under the impression the e-torqe engine just added upfront torqe

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
I have eTorque on my 1500 and love it. Smooths out shifts, lets the engine rest at long stoplights. Gives low end torque. Burns less of that expensive stuff I put in the tank. Nothing wrong with it at all.

P.S. get your dealer to set you up with an order. They can still get the non-eTorque if that's your fancy.

Manorth24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2019 Hemi with e-torque (~14K miles). I get randomly get battery warnings when I start the truck. I‘ve been monitoring the battery voltage when this happens and every time I get one of these warnings, the charging system is not charging, I can watch the battery voltage dropping quickly as I drive. So far, every time this happens, the charging system kicks on after a minute or two. My guess is that the starter/generator is dying.

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
OK, that sucks to find out.
I WANT a new truck. I have my specification nailed down to exactly the truck that will be as nice as possible, while minimizing repair costs, and maximizing reliability.

Guess what? The E-Torque is NOT on that list.

I have been lurking here for a while, and reading all of your posts. And I have seen just how many of you have had trouble with the E-Torque system, and I'm less than impressed.

Perhaps I'll just pop now for a '22, and get the last true Hemi.

Tim

There are zero problems with eTorque, just opinions. And most are based on being afraid of change, not reality.

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
well, i will not be buying a 5th Gen Ram, with its extra 100 pounds of useless weight
That 100 lbs is minus what a traditional battery weighs and an alternator so its less than 100 lbs. Might only be 50 which is nothing. I dont see the big deal. Its similar to what a Prius does andother hybrids they have been around for years and work well. Only difference is a Prius doesnt have any fan belts since it is a true hybrid.

I havent noticed complaints on it but seems there have been according to some here. However, belonging to a Ram forum and 2 Challenger forums ive seen many complaints about water pumps going out and i havent had that on either of my vehicles and my Ram is a 2007 and has the original WP.

I guess it just looks like a big problem when those that have a problem post about it in forums and if there are 100 complaints it looks big but those that dont.....and there are thousands of them that dont, it really isnt a big problem.

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
I have a 2019 Hemi with e-torque (~14K miles). I get randomly get battery warnings when I start the truck. I‘ve been monitoring the battery voltage when this happens and every time I get one of these warnings, the charging system is not charging, I can watch the battery voltage dropping quickly as I drive. So far, every time this happens, the charging system kicks on after a minute or two. My guess is that the starter/generator is dying.

There are two batteries with the eTorque system. You are likely getting a warning on the regular under the hood battery, not the eTorque battery. Get the dealer to verify for you.

Manorth24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P.s. I do mostly city driving and I have switched the auto-start feature off for comparison and get 10% better milage when I use the auto-start.

PrimetimeRam2022

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
This is a stupid question sorry guys.
Stop/Start when the e-torque comes to a light or stop sign?
I have the 2022 e-torque ram and no Start/stop engine for me at a signal.
Is this a feature that you can turn on?
I might be confused.
Is this like the the VW cars & suvs?
Engine turns off when car comes to a stop at a signal then turns back on when you release the brake and press the gas.

njjeff201

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E Torque Hemi
My E Torque has worked since day one, not sure how much fuel it's saving but I;m getting over 19 with A/C on... the same as wife's Murano which is less weight & a six.

Manorth24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have changed the under hood battery with no improvement, I also replaced the current monitoring module (attached to the negative lug on the battery). It never seems like I have trouble starting the truck, When things are working well I see the battey voltage kick up to >14V right after starting, but when the battery light comes on this doesn’t happen.

Charvey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
I have 21 1500 Laramie 5.7 eTorque w/ 23k on it & had zero issues. I do push the button to stop the start /stop in heavy traffic especially on hot days but other than that I leave it alone & drive. I run about 50 mi a day to & from work getting 20ish mpg. When I take it on a 500 mi trip get 22 - 24 mpg but like someone said it drops quickly if you get over 70-75 mph. On flat interstate 70 mph though 22 mpg is easy. I'll keep it till have issues & trade it off on a diesel or hurricane (whenever those come in).

njjeff201

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E Torque Hemi
I have been curious how the E-Torque could save fuel

It does not engage if the HVAC System is in use.
It does not engage if the Alternator is working, like if you are running over head lights.
There may be other times that it will not engage

Now there are the basics:
a non e-torgue Hemi does not have the WEIGHT of that huge battery, nor does it have that heavy unit sitting inside of the engine compartment

How does EXTRA Weight save fuel ?

I think that a lot of people will be looking at the new Hurricane Engine

[ There is a possibility that the E-Torque will only be on the Ram 5th Generation.

If that is the case, Stellantis will have another reason to keep the 4th Generation Rams, without E-Torque ]

( I would never have bought the 5th Gen anyway )
My E Torque DOES function with A/C on. Doesn't work if fan alone is on.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963