Well that sucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

1stHEMI

Reaction score
A couple of months ago, my battery died. I took it to a local shop, they told me my charging system is fine, and that they couldn't detect a draw. I bought an Odyssey battery, and it seemed fine, but I noticed yesterday it was a little labored starting. Then today... dead. WTF? I bought this damn truck to have something reliable, and it's been the least reliable of all my vehicles - and I have one that's over 50 years old! I have done zero to the electrical, added nothing other than a couple of LED bulbs, and now this. Six warranty issues since I bought it in 2017.

I keep getting letters from attorneys regarding electrical problems with these RAMS claiming they can file a lemon lawsuit against RAM. Might have to take them up on it. This crap is getting old.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If there were problems with the electrical systems on these trucks you would read about it on the forum like the Hemi Tick and exhaust bolt problem.
Modern vehicles are hard on batteries, if your truck sits around a lot and/or rarely is driven longer than a half hour continuously, the battery just isn't charged enough. Consider using a maintenance charger.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The OEM battery sucks IMO, if the battery is the only issue, think you are doing pretty well my friend.

Really surprised you are getting letters from attorneys for what I am guessing is a class action lawsuit? Would you mind sharing it here? I have never seen such a thing.

After swapping out my OEM battery to an AGM aftermarket battery my truck has been fine. And I am in Arizona, the heat here is known to murder batteries, I also have a monster of a sound system in my truck.

Would like to help you with any issue you are having with your truck. This one is just not a common issue we see here too often.

Last edited:

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
I've had more than my share of mopars over the years and the one consistent thing, drive them, drive them every day, drive them hard. If they sit, something goes wrong.

My truck sits at the airport sometimes 3 to 4 weeks. Every time I do this, I have some issue or problem that needs to be addressed, not something big, just something irritating. The battery, a tire pressure sensor, my phone will not connect, etc.

Drive it every day, very reliable no issues or worries. Almost like payback for being neglected. That's why my truck is named Shelia.....

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A couple of months ago, my battery died. I took it to a local shop, they told me my charging system is fine, and that they couldn't detect a draw. I bought an Odyssey battery, and it seemed fine, but I noticed yesterday it was a little labored starting. Then today... dead. WTF? I bought this damn truck to have something reliable, and it's been the least reliable of all my vehicles - and I have one that's over 50 years old! I have done zero to the electrical, added nothing other than a couple of LED bulbs, and now this. Six warranty issues since I bought it in 2017.

I keep getting letters from attorneys regarding electrical problems with these RAMS claiming they can file a lemon lawsuit against RAM. Might have to take them up on it. This crap is getting old.
Check starter

GRKN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
...your battery died twice and your complaining its the most unreliable vehicle you've ever had? I wish I could have vehicles that unreliable lol

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've had more than my share of mopars over the years and the one consistent thing, drive them, drive them every day, drive them hard. If they sit, something goes wrong.

My truck sits at the airport sometimes 3 to 4 weeks. Every time I do this, I have some issue or problem that needs to be addressed, not something big, just something irritating. The battery, a tire pressure sensor, my phone will not connect, etc.

Drive it every day, very reliable no issues or worries. Almost like payback for being neglected. That's why my truck is named Shelia.....
Glad she's not named Karen ;)

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The OEM battery sucks IMO, if the battery is the only issue, think you are doing pretty well my friend.

Really surprised you are getting letters from attorneys for what I am guessing is a class action lawsuit? Would you mind sharing it here? I have never seen such a thing.

After swapping out my OEM battery to an AGM aftermarket battery my truck has been fine. And I am in Arizona, the heat here is known to murder batteries, I also have a monster of a sound system in my truck.

Would like to help you with any issue you are having with your truck. This one is just not a common issue we see here too often.
Agreed!
I very recently put in a new H8 AGM battery in my 19' and she is much happier now.
I also concur that these trucks need to be driven.... regularly.
Just like the old lady; if you don't take her out, and get her fluids working too, she doesn't take kindly to it!!

OP
OP

1stHEMI

Reaction score
...your battery died twice and your complaining its the most unreliable vehicle you've ever had? I wish I could have vehicles that unreliable lol
No, this will be at the dealer 7 times for warranty repairs since I bought it brand new in 2017, that's why it's the most unreliable vehicle I've ever had.

Last edited:
OP
OP

1stHEMI

Reaction score
A 6 year old truck with possible charging issues ?

Better read up on California's Lemon Law, i think that ship has sailed
The attorneys are contacting owners because they've been successful at this. I've had it in for warranty repairs six times, and they weren't all for "charging issues".

OP
OP

1stHEMI

Reaction score

I replaced the original battery, that lasted 5 years, I just installed an Odyssey battery a couple months ago, and this one is failing. I'll find the letter I have, apparently they've had cases with electrical problems (I've had four already, this makes five)

Wmjohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
My 2016 has 110k on it. Never a charging issue.

HM_SanDiego

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Hydro/Laser Blue CC Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just replaced my oem battery in my 2018 - almost 6 years of service, which i thought was better than average for duration. What i found most interesting was the almost instant deadness…..Went to start it for a second trip of the day, after having driven it daily for a week, and it almost didn’t start, so off to the store I went.

**I had No electrical issues before or after replacing the oem battery - what issues did you experience?

I used to be a fan of the Odyssey batteries, especially in off-road use, BUT, sometime in the early to mid 2000’s their production moved to Mexico, and since then, their batteries have simply sucked in my opinion, to put it nicely.

Since then, when I need any automotive battery, I shop for the least expensive AGM version i can find - despite the manufacturer or brand name……most warranties are about the same, and I generally get 4-5 years out of a battery - I have concluded that anything beyond 4 years of service for an auto battery is extra time. I know some out there will swear by battery X, Y, or Z, and sTate that they get 10-15 years service, so I am not trying to start down that rabbit hole, just conveying my experience.

Good luck in getting rid of your “gremlins” - I will say, 6-7 warranty visits in 6+ years doesn’t seem ridiculous or concerning, to me.

Gary Hill22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L diesel
Other than the time I left a 12v cooler plugged in for several days, I have never had a battery issue, and it sits 2 months while I'm on vacation.

Attachments

• 0304190756a.jpg
    0304190756a.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 6

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
the Honda will kill a battery if it its for a couple weeks, never had that happen with the 2014 Ram , still factory battery in it, but one of these days?
I get email scams all the time, but not from lawyers as we don't have one under every rock in Canada.

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it was your dealer who couldn't find any electrical draw I would suggest you take it to a shop that specializes in automotive wiring ... A friend of mine had a similar problem and I suggested he take his vehicle to a local shop we have and they found the problem ... Had something to do with a headlight drawing power ... Just a suggestion ...

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

That could be true for a lot of vehicles nowadays. The more electrical features, the more potential for issues. If my daughter's Veloster sit for three weeks, the battery is dead.

By the way, the service manual states that vehicles out-of-service for more than 21 days, should be put into the storage mode (ie: disconnect the battery).

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 87183 miles.

Last edited:

Hound Dog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 and 2015
Engine
I have a 2017 with 33k on it with the OEM battery, no issues at all and it sits in the garage a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.