Well that sucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
My 2018 just got its 3 pair. Anything over 2 years in Phoenix is borrowed time.

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just replaced my oem battery in my 2018 - almost 6 years of service, which i thought was better than average for duration. What i found most interesting was the almost instant deadness…..Went to start it for a second trip of the day, after having driven it daily for a week, and it almost didn’t start, so off to the store I went.

**I had No electrical issues before or after replacing the oem battery - what issues did you experience?

I used to be a fan of the Odyssey batteries, especially in off-road use, BUT, sometime in the early to mid 2000’s their production moved to Mexico, and since then, their batteries have simply sucked in my opinion, to put it nicely.

Since then, when I need any automotive battery, I shop for the least expensive AGM version i can find - despite the manufacturer or brand name……most warranties are about the same, and I generally get 4-5 years out of a battery - I have concluded that anything beyond 4 years of service for an auto battery is extra time. I know some out there will swear by battery X, Y, or Z, and sTate that they get 10-15 years service, so I am not trying to start down that rabbit hole, just conveying my experience.

Good luck in getting rid of your “gremlins” - I will say, 6-7 warranty visits in 6+ years doesn’t seem ridiculous or concerning, to me.
Optima moved to Mexico. Odyssey is still made in USA.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I used to be a fan of the Odyssey batteries, especially in off-road use, BUT, sometime in the early to mid 2000’s their production moved to Mexico, and since then, their batteries have simply sucked in my opinion, to put it nicely.
Your confusing Odyssey with Optima batteries. Optima was bought out by Johnson Controls

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Your confusing Odyssey with Optima batteries. Optima was bought out by Johnson Controls

Agree, but something changed with odyssey batteries. They are not what they used to be, and that includes their Marine batteries.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been very happy with my Walmart AGM, good warranty also.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
A couple of months ago, my battery died. I took it to a local shop, they told me my charging system is fine, and that they couldn't detect a draw. I bought an Odyssey battery, and it seemed fine, but I noticed yesterday it was a little labored starting. Then today... dead. WTF? I bought this damn truck to have something reliable, and it's been the least reliable of all my vehicles - and I have one that's over 50 years old! I have done zero to the electrical, added nothing other than a couple of LED bulbs, and now this. Six warranty issues since I bought it in 2017.

I keep getting letters from attorneys regarding electrical problems with these RAMS claiming they can file a lemon lawsuit against RAM. Might have to take them up on it. This crap is getting old.
We see that you have received some great advice from your fellow forum members! However, if these suggestions do not address your concern, our team would be happy to offer additional assistance throughout that process! We're available via private message.

Callie
Ram Cares

ISellRams22

TxnRamTrvlr
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No, this will be at the dealer 7 times for warranty repairs since I bought it brand new in 2017, that's why it's the most unreliable vehicle I've ever had.
Yet you just ignored the other 20 replies trying to be helpful and answered the one negative reply.

ISellRams22

TxnRamTrvlr
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Odyssey batteries are trash, spend an extra 80$ stop being cheap it’s a 50k truck, you’ll never look back…

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My OEM lasted 4 1/2, and now run an Duralast Platinum AGM. But all the posts about not being run a lot are also true. The electrical critters under the hood drain the system on the new trucks. Make sure when U put in battery, discharge memory on IBS, and also fully charge the battery, do not go by the old Auto store: Suh, the Battery on the shelf is fully charged. If gonna sit for a long period, putting a battery tender on the battery helps also, IMHO.

And yup, extreme heat/cold wear real bad on the battery for sure.

Lakeman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
A couple of months ago, my battery died. I took it to a local shop, they told me my charging system is fine, and that they couldn't detect a draw. I bought an Odyssey battery, and it seemed fine, but I noticed yesterday it was a little labored starting. Then today... dead. WTF? I bought this damn truck to have something reliable, and it's been the least reliable of all my vehicles - and I have one that's over 50 years old! I have done zero to the electrical, added nothing other than a couple of LED bulbs, and now this. Six warranty issues since I bought it in 2017.

I keep getting letters from attorneys regarding electrical problems with these RAMS claiming they can file a lemon lawsuit against RAM. Might have to take them up on it. This crap is getting old.
Do you have the air bag system on your truck? My son has a 2017 at one point he was having a similar issue. he would let the truck sit a couple days and the battery would be dead. After a couple trips to dealer he happend to hear the air bag pump running one night he was in the garage. the short of it is he had a leak and after letting it sit it would leak down enough to cause the pump to run which was running the battery down. After informing them of this they found the leak and fixed the problem under warrenty

OP
OP

1stHEMI

Reaction score
I put in an Interstate AGM and not a sucky Odyssey battery. No problem since.
LOL... "sucky"... Optima sucks, but I've had a lot of success with the Odyssey batteries. Why 'sucky'?
Incidentally, it appears that my issue actually is the battery, I have the cheapo replacement in the truck now, and this morning it's still at 12.4 volts, the Odyssey would have dropped to 10.8 by now.

OP
OP

1stHEMI

Reaction score
Odyssey batteries are trash, spend an extra 80$ stop being cheap it’s a 50k truck, you’ll never look back…
"stop being cheap"??? A little judgmental, are we? You know nothing about me and make that comment? Just a tad rude... it's a $325 battery, $200 more than the 'cheap' battery I bought as an interim replacement after the OE battery died.

OP
OP

1stHEMI

Reaction score
Yet you just ignored the other 20 replies trying to be helpful and answered the one negative reply.
WTF? I don't live on this forum and get to them when I can, so you decide to post a negative, non-helpful reply??? It turns out it WAS a bad battery, mr. Negative.

OP
OP

1stHEMI

Reaction score
Got up this morning to read the replies, a couple of personal attacks that were not the least bit helpful and uncalled for. To those who are trying to help I appreciate it; it's hard to keep up with all of them, but I try to read them all. Sometimes people *think* they have the solution but their suggestion is not relative to the problem I'm having, and was previously considered. People are getting mad their suggestion isn't the solution, and I can't even comprehend the anger.

Last year I posted about something happening with my door locks and people literally got mad at me and lashed out at me because they said it was my remote battery, and I told them the battery was fine. This is why I sometimes stay off of forums, some people get attitudes and it takes away from the camaraderie here.

Did your mothers ever teach you that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all? I don't need your garbage and personal attacks, keep your lousy attitudes to yourselves.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
WTF? I don't live on this forum and get to them when I can, so you decide to post a negative, non-helpful reply??? It turns out it WAS a bad battery, mr. Negative.

Got up this morning to read the replies, a couple of personal attacks that were not the least bit helpful and uncalled for. To those who are trying to help I appreciate it; it's hard to keep up with all of them, but I try to read them all. Sometimes people *think* they have the solution but their suggestion is not relative to the problem I'm having, and was previously considered. People are getting mad their suggestion isn't the solution, and I can't even comprehend the anger.

Last year I posted about something happening with my door locks and people literally got mad at me and lashed out at me because they said it was my remote battery, and I told them the battery was fine. This is why I sometimes stay off of forums, some people get attitudes and it takes away from the camaraderie here.

Did your mothers ever teach you that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all? I don't need your garbage and personal attacks, keep your lousy attitudes to yourselves.
I read through the replies and didn't see anyone taking swipes at you,most seemed to be trying to help you out.You might be a bit sensitive for the internet,as you seem to be reading way more into guys posts then they're actually saying

OP
OP

1stHEMI

Reaction score
I read through the replies and didn't see anyone taking swipes at you,most seemed to be trying to help you out.You might be a bit sensitive for the internet,as you seem to be reading way more into guys posts then they're actually saying
whatever, dude. I was told I was being cheap, I was told I ignored all the help and answered only the one negative response. You're right, it's all on me, I'm done have a good day.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
whatever, dude. I was told I was being cheap, I was told I ignored all the help and answered only the one negative response. You're right, it's all on me, I'm done have a good day.
If that's the way you feel,don't let the door hit you in the ass as you're leaving,lol. BTW i highly doubt we'll even know your gone,so your attitude is only hurting you. Even the 2 posts you're referring to,shouldn't be enough to get you as wound up as you seem to be,you gotta mellow out bro :waytogo: :Big Laugh:

Tominator223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Loose connections & bad grounds kill batteries fast. Lemon law. Ha. I had a hard time finding a lawyer for 2 different vehicles . Finally gave up because lawyers won’t take a lemon law case because there’s no $ in it. Unless you have a lawyer friend. Good luck with a lemon law case.

Status
Not open for further replies.