Western Pa. Power Wagons emissions test

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's funny in a way, the state was forced to do these tests or lose the federal road dollars. So the state said ok fine, we will do what you require and ONLY what you require to be able to receive these dollars - while impacting the least number of people that we have to.
As a result, the I/M test is scattered instead of uniform across the state. It was never about pollution.

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
Anyone in Allegheny county with a Power Wagon? I have a 2021 and apparently you have to have the emissions test done with a two step tailpipe inspection like they used to do in the 1800's!! Nobody in my area still has these machines and if they do they are broke and need obsolete parts. Long story short where is everyone getting their Power Wagons emissions tested in Allegheny county? Tha

Anyone in Allegheny county with a Power Wagon? I have a 2021 and apparently you have to have the emissions test done with a two step tailpipe inspection like they used to do in the 1800's!! Nobody in my area still has these machines and if they do they are broke and need obsolete parts. Long story short where is everyone getting their Power Wagons emissions tested in Allegheny county? Thanks!
Here is something to look into. In New York State when we registar a vehicle (used of course-as a dealer will tell Motor Vehicle what the max GVWR is) What we want for a GVWR. For instance my 2016 Ram, 5.7, A-6 (65RFE) has a payload of 1700 lbs. and a max GVRW of 6600Lbs ! That means the trucks weight is 4900 (6600-1700). The more we register for the more we pay annually for Insurance. Up here if the computer says there are no codes or malfunctions - our inspection machine get plugged into the diag.link- it can see 9just like any scanner codes and if the computer system says that all internal tests are in the "ready" state. They (NYS dumb-o-craps) that if the computer says it is OK then it passes its emissions. When I registered it I told them to make it 6000Lbs. I save on insurance. If I sold the truck the next person would automatically get that same number unless they (new owner) changes it. If DOT pulled me over and actually weighted the truck with what ever load I had in it and it was over the total of 6000 lbs. If it was bought new the dealer would have registered it for the full 6600! I would be issued a ticket, and have to unload somweight before I continued. Same with Class A's B's etc. However noone DOT inspects any no comerical vehicles up here ( not they couldn't they just don't). I just looked up "trailer tow and payload rateings for 2021 Ram 2500. Some have a GVRW of 9900lbs. some at 10000lbs. Which if in that truck past was "altered" you could fix that (?) At least in NY you could. Check to see what info your county accepts as valid info, for "real" GVWR

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
In California, you don't go to a Smog Test until year 6 or 7 on new vehicles

My Ram was first registered on January 16, 2016, i have not had to have a smog check yet

Federal Emissions Warranty:

The Ram truck Federal Emission Warranty covers emission-related parts for your Ram trucks. These warranties can differ between models. The 2021 Ram 1500 Classic has a Federal Emissions Warranty of 2 years/24,000 miles. This Ram’s parts are all also covered by the Basic Limited Warranty.
The 2021 Ram 2500 & 3500’s Federal Emissions Warranty includes a lifetime Noise Emission warranty and 5 years/50,000 miles for specified components such as fuel tank and lines, Exhaust Gas Recirculation system, intake manifold, and more.

Last edited:

Scott0700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I always did the same thing with my one tons. Had the dealer register them for 9,900 lbs. Saves on reg. Let’s you still travel legally on most weight restricted roads. Most DOT inspection stops are 10k and over. I bought them for towing capacity. Never had a lot of weight in the back of the truck.