Wet sanding and polish products

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good day,
Just looking for info on wet sanding and what type of polish/ compound to use to buff after? I have some paint scuffs and a few tree branch scrapes I want to get right. Pretty much the whole right side of my truck along the front fender and the passenger door needs some work. Any info would be greatly appreciated as to the steps and products used.they are not deep, just top marks that don’t seem to come out with any small scrapes/blemish remover. I have tried Meguires to no avail
Thanks.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good day,
Just looking for info on wet sanding and what type of polish/ compound to use to buff after? I have some paint scuffs and a few tree branch scrapes I want to get right. Pretty much the whole right side of my truck along the front fender and the passenger door needs some work. Any info would be greatly appreciated as to the steps and products used.they are not deep, just top marks that don’t seem to come out with any small scrapes/blemish remover. I have tried Meguires to no avail
Thanks.
polishing compound works great use a micro fiber rag and rub out any marks :banana-mario:

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Try the LEAST abrasive product first. I'd try some other polishes and compounds first before wet sanding. IMHO wet sanding needs to be done by a professional that has experience.
Jay

Kinetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I always advise against wet sanding OEM paint. Try compound and polish first and see where that gets you. Post some pics of the damage if you can.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
What they said. You can seriously screw things up with wet sanding if you don’t know what you are doing. Would really suck afterwards if it could have been fixed with an aggressive correcting polish

OP
OP
Lyle Longboat

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks everyone. I shall use the different polish’s/compounds before anything else. See if that helps, if not, I’ll just take it to a body shop.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
Good day,
Thanks.

I see you got some great advice so far, but what Meguiars products have you tried? Some are pretty light grit, others are meant specifically for leveling paint.

BrandonDyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also needed something to polish my car after sanding and doing all the work. It was in a really bad shape now and I decided to try and do it myself. I am not a pro and I hope I will be able to do it. The sander I have at my house was already really old and almost broken. I decided to get a new one and before deciding which one I read some reviews on best orbital sanders in 2020. I got Makita sander and it is really good. Now I will go get these compounds for polishing and my job will be done, hope it turns out great.

Last edited:

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep Walmart, autozone, advance auto etc carries it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are you using a buffer or trying to remove the scratches by hand???
Jay

DURASPANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you cain't get them out with meguiars 205 by hand or da polisher. Take it to body shop or a paint correction detailer.
Being a former auto painter. I'd choose a paint correction detailer first if available. They'll try to keep as much of the factory finish possible.
Us painters will cut and buff whatever off and not care if we burn through. Cause we know how to fix it and have the facilities to be able to. LoL