What’s your favorite flavor of cordless tools?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeffK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've been using dewalt 18V in the beginning and switched to the 20v XR line of tools and batteries a few years ago. Never any issues with Dewalt.

yrraljguthrie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
etorque5.7
Ryobi, far and away the best for the money. Some others are 20% better and cost 200% more. Some of those WalMart brands are good for storing in areas where they are seldom needed but are too far from the good tool storage.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I prefer Makita or Dewalt. I have a mix of the two.

kirk35

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD Tradesman
I recently sold my 80 gallon compressor and most of my air tools and picked up a new 20V Hercules 1/2" impact, and 1/4" impact driver from HF. So far I'm impressed with their performance. All the features of the big name brands without the price tag. They even have a 5yr Tool & 3 yr Battery warranty. 1/4" die grinder is next on my list.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
#2 son and I are in the HVAC trade and tools are Milwaukee Tools
My other son not in trade love Ryobi tools

SublimeZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Makita LXT18v for me. The 1/2" hammer drill/driver is a beast, better have 2 hands on it. Also have the 1/2" drill (white one), a small impact and their 36v (2 18v batts) worm drive style saw. I'm pretty sure I have a hitachi corded drill here someplace, been years since i used it.
I have a Bosch 18v drill, it's not nearly the tool the Makitas are. I sometimes use it when I need a third drill (drill bit, countersink, driver)

HuskerRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I'm a member of the Red Army, but that's only because I have several of their batteries and I don't want to start over with another brand. I've got a Dewalt 1/2" impact that is phenomenal, but I've become a big fan of the Milwaukee M12 lineup.

TeoNoad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar
Since it has no cord and you don't have to rely on a secondary power source, a cordless tool offers greater flexibility and portability. When working on several projects or in tight spaces, cordless tools allow you to maneuver and move about freely without the hazard of tripping or tangling a cord.

Gary Fields

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a variety of tools, some I bought and some were gifts. Being a normal homeowner I don't need tool that survive horrible abuse. Most of the Craftsman (mostly made by Stanley) have done alright, especially the shop-vac. The surprise is some of the Harbor Freight items. I bought some 20+ years ago when money was tight and figured I'd use them for a while and replace when they died. I have noticed in the last few years the quality of some of their tools has improved. Some, like the compressor just refuse to die. Bought a drill 5 years ago on vacation to use on one thing- it's still working fine on the original battery. Others I use infrequently and still have nice paint on them. While would not use most of HF tools on a daily basis they seem to offer an economical alternative for occasional use by homeowners. In the meantime I have a 3/4 inch left handed ganglion wrench in chrome with blue anodized spreader braced waiting for the next time I need one.

Swezey23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Kobalt fan here. From the lawn gear to their tools. I'm impressed and it gets the job done — good warranties and plenty of power for those that don't work with their hands for a living.

I work with my fingers ;)

klowe8869

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i have used most of the brands due to not having my own but now that i do have my own so far I'm very happy with snap on. everyone told me it would be so much more expensive but after doing the math it came in right around the milwaukee price range and after testing its even stronger.

Fabman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Most of mine are green, mixed with a few yellow.....

BlueHemi1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My hand tools are Craftsman all, made in America all at least 20 years old, and look new. I have started getting into the DeWalt Max 20V tools as I have started working on my daughters' house, and I did not have any power tools. I have been impressed with the performance of the tools that I own. I am not so sure that I would buy the "new" Craftsman tools, don't seem to have the original quality of my old Craftsman tools.

BlueHemi1500

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have two favorites, Ridgid and Milwaukee M12. After years of frustrations with Ryobi batteries, I switched to a starter set of Ridgid 18-volt tools on sale at the Home Depot back in 2012. The LSA (lifetime service agreement) got me since it covered the batteries. Since the initial Ridgid purchase, the Ridgid tool collection has grown.

I got into the Milwaukee M12 line when I needed a ratchet. Since then my M12 line of tools has grown. The M12s offer a balance between power and size, I don't always need 1,500 pounds of nut-busting or a 7" circular saw. The M12 line offered up some nice tools like a portable vacuum, soldering iron, stabler, and my new favorite, a sprayer.

I don't think there is a bad brand of cordless tools, there are commercial-quality and homeowner-quality brands. The anchor point is the batteries. Once you get into a cordless brand, you build an expensive collection of batteries that keeps you in the same tool brand. All you can hope for is the brand you have will keep offering up new tools and provide the tools you are looking for.

Last edited: