What actually causes hemi tick?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I am new to ram. I have a 2018 1500 with 27k miles and it does not have the tick so I am wondering what causes it? I have read that redline oil seems to so the trick with quieting the tick. Currently running pennzoil platinum 5w20 at 6k intervals with a wix xp

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Also welcome to the forum.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
I am new to ram. I have a 2018 1500 with 27k miles and it does not have the tick so I am wondering what causes it? I have read that redline oil seems to so the trick with quieting the tick. Currently running pennzoil platinum 5w20 at 6k intervals with a wix xp
IIRC. With low quality oil, neglect, and not enough additives. The rollers on the lifters stop rolling. Which causes them to wear the cam lobes down. Which could end up catastrophic for the engine.

Redline 5w30 is a top choice. With royal purple filter. I got my truck at 100k miles. I immediately changed all fluids. And started using redline 5w30 with royal purple filter.

Just crossed over 166k and besides the water pump exploding. And the TIPM box going out. She has been running strong

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
I had a feeling that would be the case. I tried searching the internet but came up mostly empty
Yeah not gonna lie it's many issues, mine collapsed and would not fill with oil causing it to hammer on the cam. Some the rollers go, some seize some are because of poor maintenance/oil type it's a crapshoot really. I deleted mine did a cam and ain't looking back. It seems to be pretty common amongst us hemi owners. Some will say different, I know I did but I know one and am one who had had lifter issues so yeah its not as much as a fable as many make it seem.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Stack-up of tolerances throughout the assembly contribute to mechanical noise.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Both ticks are so common [emoji23]

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I was told my tick is injector pulse [emoji1787] been there since 15k or so now @ 45k. Just used my last free oil change so I'll making the switch myself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk all grammar errors brought you by fat fingers and auto correct.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I’ve heard a failed lifter and exhaust manifolds both referred to as the hemi tick.

However in my opinion the hemi tick is a slight ticking noise that appears usually on a warm engine but is not an immediate sign of a failure or issue, since it seems to be present on a new or well used engine. It just seems to be a thing they do. Likely due to internal engine tolerances and noise resonating through out the engine.

Some are lucky that using a certain oil helps rectify the noise. Others not so much.

It can be annoying but it doesn’t really seem to be any sign of an actual mechanical failure, it’s just a noise they make.

Compared to something like a direct injected engine, or in my case a hemi with forged rods/pistons a stock hemi is whisper quiet. Both those can produce a lot of mechanical noise that will make you appreciate the slight hemi tick.

JAMES GREEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Outdoorsman
Engine
HEMI
I have 30Km on my 2017 Outdoorsman...Live in B.C. Canada...outside temp this morning -28 c.
Change oil every 4000Km have notice just after startup beginning to hear tick...running non synthetic as I wanted proper break in and ring sealing...now time to change oil...but to what?

sofaking tired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2017/5.7. 18,000 on clock. Ticks on occasion, but only at start up. She sits for a few weeks as I have a company car. Use Penn Ultra/Mobil 1 filter. every 3,000 miles. May switch to Mopar SRT filter as they seem to flow better.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The hemi tick has been around since the reintroduction in 03. Many engines tick happily away to over 200000 miles and beyond.

rwreuter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IIRC. With low quality oil, neglect, and not enough additives. The rollers on the lifters stop rolling. Which causes them to wear the cam lobes down. Which could end up catastrophic for the engine.

Redline 5w30 is a top choice. With royal purple filter. I got my truck at 100k miles. I immediately changed all fluids. And started using redline 5w30 with royal purple filter.

Just crossed over 166k and besides the water pump exploding. And the TIPM box going out. She has been running strong

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Not to hijack the thread, but how much did it tun you to have the TIPM changed?