What aftermarket wheels are an actual upgrade from OEM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lamarsh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 Rebel
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I usually replace OEM wheels on my trucks, but my 2020 Rebel came with wheels that I like, but don't love. Since I like them, I'm struggling with the decision to get a set of aftermarket wheels that I love due to having a hard time figuring out what, if any, after market wheels are higher quality than the OEM wheels.

OEM wheels, if you have to buy them as replacements, are absurdly expensive. I assume that is just a mopar thing, and their quality does not justify the cost. BUT, I'm just wondering if anybody knows if in fact OEM wheels are made better than a lot of the aftermarket offerings.

For example, I had a set of Mickey Thompsons on my 2018 that I liked a lot, but when I swapped them with my OEMs, did I replace them with something higher quality?

I'm currently looking at replacing my OEM Rebel wheels with a set from Black Rhino, so if anybody knows what kind of quality difference I can expect on top of OEM, that'd be great.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe do some research into the company or reviews on that specific rim. Also check load rating on the rim you are interested in to make sure it’s above your GVWR. I went from the stock 20x9 +19 on my express to some Mickey Thompson 18x9 -12 which stick out the side more and have a lot more sidewall. I’d like to think the mickey thompson are the same quality as stock.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Deciding if it is a better wheel will be hard. You will have to look at load specs on the wheel to determine if it is better and overall wheel weight. There are a lot of wheels out there now that are lighter but better load capacity but no in the look you want it seams. It will be hard to find a better wheel as the specs are all within the guidelines for load capacity based of bolt pattern. It will come down to personal preference and no one can make that discussion but you.

Check out custom wheel offset. They have a gallery of trucksvto look through with the wheel specs posted.

Last edited:

BlackSheepRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For me better meant some combination of:

- Made in USA
- Stronger than stock
- Lighter than stock (better acceleration, braking)
- Specific design (layout, color)
- Purpose built (e.g. real beadlock)

I say "some" because life is about tradeoffs and I never expected one wheel to have all these things. Honestly, I found it impossible to get anywhere close to all of the above. Especially if you want something made in the USA, good luck...options are few and expensive as hell. I'd be fine with the expense, but also nothing had the style I wanted.

I ended up with wheels that aren't made in the US, aren't any stronger than stock, are a bit heavier...but have the design and color I've wanted for a long time. Decided beadlock was not a real requirement. Not street legal and don't do more than light trails. I'd never ran Fuel's before and they get a lot of hype, so gave 'em a try. Look nice, but I wouldn't call it "better" just "different" -- and that's after paying for them.

Not sure about your taste, but might check out the usual suspects:

- Fuel (seem to have blown up)
- Method
- Icon
- AEV
- KMC
- Innov8
- Trail Ready

In all my research (and personal preference), something -12 to -18 looks best. It's considered "aggressive" depending where you order, but just looks "flush" to me. Personally I dislike not seeing any tire at all from a side profile, and also don't want half my tire hanging in the street. :)