What can / cant be upgraded in trim levels?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm thinking about doing a backup camera writeup without getting the $400 harness and camera kit. Would anyone be interested.
It’s already the first sticky in audio/electronics. The thread goes into piecing it together with with custom harnesses and separate parts outside the kit.

Timway61

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Gasoline V6
I’ve learned the hard way, it’s always cheaper in the long run to purchase the upgraded model than to buy and install all of the add ons you want to have.

awpratt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
it's a catch 22 here pay the dealer for the options and probably have to get things you don't want or need, also there is the fact that some options I wanted were not available in any package in the 1500s. I would love to have the rear sliding window but for me the cost of that upgrade is way too much for the little bit of opening the window gives, I bought a 2017 Express Crew and have done many other upgrades I wanted leather seats but did not need power seats so I added the Katzkin Leather seats in a custom 2 tone set-up I added remote start, steering wheel audio controls, Power Folding, power adjust, heated, tow mirrors with turn signals and puddle lights and option not available on the 1500s then but with the help of alphaobd was not a problem getting everything working properly using all factory parts and configured the way they would come from the factory including the support brackets, added the sport hood and black quad headlights, in the process of upgrading to Laramie Door panels with LED courtesy lights, found a good set of used panels for this also planning on upgrading the EVIC to the premium cluster and cab clearance lights. I realize it may have been easier to buy a truck that had al theses options, but I like the fact that my truck is not the same as every one else I have what I want the way I want it. if you do some research and spend a little time shopping around you can usually find what you want for a reasonable price. But as others have said too there isn't much available for the 5thGen if that's what your going with but there is a plethora of upgrades available to the 4th Gen trucks, just depends what you want and if your willing to pay for it and willing to take the time to do it yourself.

OP
OP
E

eldo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
Pentastar
I ended up with a 19 CC lonestsar 4x4 hemi over the weekend

After reading everyone's replies, I think it was good advice to just buy the options I wanted.
About the inky thing I'm missing is the memory seat positions, but since my wife has the 17 laramie now, I'll rarely need to move the drivers seat so I'm good.

I think I'd consider some upgrades and buying a lower trim, but I'm traveling so much I don't want to spend what time I do have at home working on the truck. b567990218a5b86e3465f068388e6242.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Dr J Cumminz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L with Aisin
Before you gussie up a Bighorn, drive a Laramie or limited also. You may be presently surprised by the difference. Put what you want on both trucks Big Horn vs Laramie or Limited and do the pricing, If you chose the Big Horn at least you will have made an informed decision.

I did and it was Laramie or nothing. The Limited was just a bit too fancy inside for my taste.

Yeah, I'm with you on this one. The Laramie has just about everything and not too much where it was excessive or not needed. Like everyone is saying, get the options you want now.

Steve Cloud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I ended up with a 19 CC lonestsar 4x4 hemi over the weekend

After reading everyone's replies, I think it was good advice to just buy the options I wanted.
About the inky thing I'm missing is the memory seat positions, but since my wife has the 17 laramie now, I'll rarely need to move the drivers seat so I'm good.

I think I'd consider some upgrades and buying a lower trim, but I'm traveling so much I don't want to spend what time I do have at home working on the truck. b567990218a5b86e3465f068388e6242.jpg

Nice choice! I think you went the right direction. I'd bet that the Lone Star/Big Horn is one of their most popular trim levels. Just the right amount of bells and whistles at a good price. I'm betting you could add the memory seat option if you really wanted to.

OP
OP
E

eldo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
Pentastar
That's what I'm thinking with the seats.
But after my Mrs demanded I put running boards on it like the Laramie has, it'll be a while before I look at adding anything else.

Jimjammer21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7hemi
Everything you claimed you want I got in my bighorn I also have the 12 inch screen with the 9 speaker system that beats harder than the beats system that was in my Daytona. If I’m not mistaken what Laramie gives you that are standard over bighorn and lower trims are leather seats, keyless enter feature, the tailgate opener button on key fob and the wheel fender flares. I love my bighorn black it’s not too flashy but not too boring it’s right in the middle. I don’t have stupid features I’ll never use and if I wanted a luxury vehicle I would have kept my Daytona 392 ‍♂️

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you talking about adding them after the fact? You sure can. Every option can be added after the fact without dealer intervention.
Like said before, it depends how worthwhile it is to any particular person on whether or not to just install all the options they want. Me, personally, I bought a 2500 tradesman with figuring out adding options specifically in mind. I have no allusions as to how much it does or doesn’t add to the value of the truck. That’s why most of us that do this keep the original parts and return the truck to stock, and sell off the upgrade parts. I wouldn’t say I turned my truck into a specific trim level, because I cherrypicked options that I wanted from all trim levels, but, it all cost me about 1/4 of what it would have been factory. I used all used parts from car-part except for adding keyless enter n go, which required a ****** rf hub and fob, so, that’s the only option that’ll stay with the truck if I sell it.
What Jimmy said!

mjf6175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
Are you talking about adding them after the fact? You sure can. Every option can be added after the fact without dealer intervention.
Like said before, it depends how worthwhile it is to any particular person on whether or not to just install all the options they want. Me, personally, I bought a 2500 tradesman with figuring out adding options specifically in mind. I have no allusions as to how much it does or doesn’t add to the value of the truck. That’s why most of us that do this keep the original parts and return the truck to stock, and sell off the upgrade parts. I wouldn’t say I turned my truck into a specific trim level, because I cherrypicked options that I wanted from all trim levels, but, it all cost me about 1/4 of what it would have been factory. I used all used parts from car-part except for adding keyless enter n go, which required a ****** rf hub and fob, so, that’s the only option that’ll stay with the truck if I sell it.

A little late to this thread but just have to jump in here. Wow, is this a topic close to my heart (and wallet). While most posting here have a 1500, I have a 2017 2500. What cab you have makes a BIG difference in just what options you could get in a heavy duty Ram. I custom ordered my 2500. The hurdle is that my Ram is a unicorn, meaning a regular cab. HD RC's are limited to two trims only. Tradesman or SLT (in 2019 its Tradesman and Big Horn). Even with the top RC trim of SLT you cannot get many of the desirable options. I can attest to Jimmy07's post. Below are options I have added, those options with the "NA" notation were not available to order on an regular cab SLT HD:

Heated and ventilated leather seats with memory (NA)
Memory Mirrors (NA)
Power passenger seat (NA)
Heated Steering Wheel (NA)
Backup camera (NA)
RA4 radio (NA)
Door bezel lights (NA)
Limited console cover (NA)
Sport door panels (very close in looks to Laramie and best looking RC panel) (NA)
Auto High Beam (NA)
Automatic temperature control (NA)
Push Button Start (NA)
20 inch wheels (NA)
Power Wagon flares (NA)
Cargo camera (this is the one option I could of ordered but did not and added it as a mod)
And NUMEROUS changes using the AlphaObd tool and probably have left off this list a half dozen more mods.

In fact my Ram is modded out. There are only 2 options left (automatic wipers and power rear slider) that I can add to it and have not pulled the trigger on them since it requires the front and rear windows to be replaced. MY severe OCD prevents me from ripping out a perfectly sealed window that does not leak.

So I built what I could not order from the factory. Did it cost me more? Maybe/probably, but I do not care since I always mod or change up my vehicles and I keep my Ram's a long time, the last one 13+ years.

Last edited:

Tulet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Go to Ram Trucks.com and do a build your own, it will walk you through what is and isn't available for each sub model.

JulieG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 Turbo Diesel
I kept steering my husband towards the Tradesman but he kept veering towards the Limited. What hubby wants hubby gets. 2018 Limited 2500 Diesel Tungsten edition. I wouldn’t change that for anything. Everything covered under warranty if a problem should arise (and they have but all fixed by the dealer). My husband is able to install and modify but I’d rather have him just enjoying his new truck.

awpratt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A little late to this thread but just have to jump in here. Wow, is this a topic close to my heart (and wallet). While most posting here have a 1500, I have a 2017 2500. What cab you have makes a BIG difference in just what options you could get in a heavy duty Ram. I custom ordered my 2500. The hurdle is that my Ram is a unicorn, meaning a regular cab. HD RC's are limited to two trims only. Tradesman or SLT (in 2019 its Tradesman and Big Horn). Even with the top RC trim of SLT you cannot get many of the desirable options. I can attest to Jimmy07's post. Below are options I have added, those options with the "NA" notation were not available to order on an regular cab SLT HD:

Heated and ventilated leather seats with memory (NA)
Memory Mirrors (NA)
Power passenger seat (NA)
Heated Steering Wheel (NA)
Backup camera (NA)
RA4 radio (NA)
Door bezel lights (NA)
Limited console cover (NA)
Sport door panels (very close in looks to Laramie and best looking RC panel) (NA)
Auto High Beam (NA)
Automatic temperature control (NA)
Push Button Start (NA)
20 inch wheels (NA)
Power Wagon flares (NA)
Cargo camera (this is the one option I could of ordered but did not and added it as a mod)
And NUMEROUS changes using the AlphaObd tool and probably have left off this list a half dozen more mods.

In fact my Ram is modded out. There are only 2 options left (automatic wipers and power rear slider) that I can add to it and have not pulled the trigger on them since it requires the front and rear windows to be replaced. MY severe OCD prevents me from ripping out a perfectly sealed window that does not leak.

So I built what I could not order from the factory. Did it cost me more? Maybe/probably, but I do not care since I always mod or change up my vehicles and I keep my Ram's a long time, the last one 13+ years.

I like what you said here not only that this truck is your truck it is not like anyone else's it may look similar but it is not the same. I know I spent extra to do so some things to my truck to get what I wanted, but a lot of things were not available the way I wanted it. Besides when it comes time to trade it in, it's always funny watching the sales guy try to figure out what he's looking at especially when I have options that were not available in the model I have. Again not saying every upgrade is worth the expense for me the rear power window would be nice but the cost to do that is not an acceptable trade off around $1000 to get that small opening maybe next time I'll get it installed factory

KC Cryptkeeper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Purchased my 17 Ram Regular Cab Tradesman new and since have added many factory options to it. Cost is not so bad compared to buying the truck new with the option from the factory. I think the time to research, purchase parts and install the options correctly is a challenge to me and kinda fun.

Here is what I have done so far: "with a bunch of help from many on this forum"

POWER FOLD SPORT MIRRORS
LIGHTED SUN VISORS
GARAGE DOOR OPENER
AUTO DIM MIRROR WITH SMARTBEAM AND UCONNECT
LEATHER STEERING WHEEL WITH AUDIO CONTROLS
PREMIUM GAUGE CLUSTER
8.4 RA4 RADIO WITH NAVIGATION
CENTER FLOOR CONSOLE
CONSOLE MOUNTED CD PLAYER
PASSIVE ENTRY WITH PUSH BUTTON START AND ALARM
GLOBAL WINDOWS DOWN
REMOTE STARTER
FOG LIGHTS
LED SPORT TAILLIGHTS

I know there is more that has been done and more waiting to be.

View attachment 179823

View attachment 179824

View attachment 179825

View attachment 179826

View attachment 179827
The difference from watching your builds is that 1 you know what you want. 2 you enjoy doing it. 3 you have abilities to do it and ask and learn about things you are not sure of. That is where people need to draw the line, kinda the same theory of guys that flip houses. Some just pay for it all, others do the work.

KC Cryptkeeper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
But it's still a Tradesmen when you trade it off,alibit maybe a loaded up one,but usually you don't get much or anything extra for a modded truck at trade off time,at least that's been my experience

All my mods have been for me to enjoy while the truck is mine, I'm not worried about when I get rid of it. The last Ram I had (2007) someone else thought that they needed it more than me when they stole it from a Quik Trip gas pump. Live for today.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio