What caused this damage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

dmuney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L HO Cummins
Would a weak cylinder that may consume oil plug an injector with carbon?

Sent by me

OP
OP
D

dmuney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L HO Cummins
Typically the marks in that pattern are due to a bad injector. and you probably got fuel running down the skirt and burning causing rings and such to get blown out and melting.... prob started small. Take a look at the injectors and or replace them. If you are running a tuner there is alot you need to support that extra fueling.

Not knowing all the details of your build or if its stock its hard to say exactly the cause but I would not just put it back together without looking at the injectors... and I always suggest if you change one change them all. its alot of money but just one of those things. also look at the wiring/valve cover gasket for damage. they are known to fail causing injector issues which can result in this...

Also do you have a EGT gauge. and I have a master manual to the 06-07 years on CD if you are interested in it I can email you. just PM me with your contact info.

My truck is stock I think I have egt and boost guage no tuner no injector tips truck appears stock but I only purchased it 3 months ago with 123000 miles

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck is stock I think I have egt and boost guage no tuner no injector tips truck appears stock but I only purchased it 3 months ago with 123000 miles

All of that damage can still happen stock. Dirty fuel or fowled injectors will discuss it. Let me fire up the old computer and pull the manual off it and I'll email it to you...

OP
OP
D

dmuney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L HO Cummins
All of that damage can still happen stock. Dirty fuel or fowled injectors will discuss it. Let me fire up the old computer and pull the manual off it and I'll email it to you...

Thank you so much. Another question but I think I know the answer so after I did the bandaid I put a new injector in #1 after about 1500 miles I had to replace #1 again. And my dumb luck it seems it's time for another injector but I haven't looked at it yet I gonna take a shot in the dark and say it's #1 again. Could low compression damage a injector or ( my stupid luck ) does it need a transfer tube except the original transfer tube is in the trash so that couldn't be it or because factory lift pump and filter are still messing things up. Getting ready to buy a FASS just haven't ordered it yet

And thank you for helping me out with the Manuel I'm sure it will be a huge help

OP
OP
D

dmuney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L HO Cummins
Can someone with a straight pipe on their Common rail take a video of there truck driving with the windows down at WOT I am only after the sound of the exhaust don't worry about what shows on the screen. And maybe a video with it idling also. Thanks everybody for all the help

05 2500 4dr shortbed 4" lift on 35's, 4" straight pipe, Afe intake

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The manual is a huge help and education into the systems on the cummins.
I'm not 100% sure on a poor cylinder would burn up an injector. It would give poor combustion and should puke out black smoke. You may have an issue with the injector harness may have a nick in the wire poor connection somewhere causin the solenoid to fail. There is a test with a ohm meter to detect if all are working right and it's a ecm issue.

I pulled my hair out with injector issues before I figured out the issue. Went through 2 harnesses and 2 sets of injectors and 3 extra. Turned out it was the fowled fuel system causing the injectors to fail. Probably not the same issue your having but sounds similar

Once I get in from working in the shop, I'll look for the manual and send it over

OP
OP
D

dmuney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L HO Cummins

I'm not 100% sure on a poor cylinder would burn up an injector. It would give poor combustion and should puke out black smoke. You may have an issue with the injector harness may have a nick in the wire poor connection somewhere causin the solenoid to fail. There is a test with a ohm meter to detect if all are working right and it's a ecm issue.

I pulled my hair out with injector issues before I figured out the issue. Went through 2 harnesses and 2 sets of injectors and 3 extra. Turned out it was the fowled fuel system causing the injectors to fail. Probably not the same issue your having but sounds similar

Once I get in from working in the shop, I'll look for the manual and send it over

I thought maybe fuel system as well buying a Fass 150 titanium today and getting new fuel transfer tubes might as well get the fuel system taken care of and new injectors before I rebuild the motor.

Broncoboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Typically the marks in that pattern are due to a bad injector. and you probably got fuel running down the skirt and burning causing rings and such to get blown out and melting.... prob started small. Take a look at the injectors and or replace them. If you are running a tuner there is alot you need to support that extra fueling.

Not knowing all the details of your build or if its stock its hard to say exactly the cause but I would not just put it back together without looking at the injectors... and I always suggest if you change one change them all. its alot of money but just one of those things. also look at the wiring/valve cover gasket for damage. they are known to fail causing injector issues which can result in this...

Also do you have a EGT gauge. and I have a master manual to the 06-07 years on CD if you are interested in it I can email you. just PM me with your contact info.

Could I possibly get a copy of that manual I just purchased an 07 3500 am new to cummins could definitely use the guidance thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dmuney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L HO Cummins

Reading back on this in stock form before I put a power adder to it it never bellows black smoke out the exhaust. After I put the magic box on it does a little but not like I would have expected it to and yes fass 150 has been installed

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963