What determines payload and towing capacity? Comparing 1/2 tons.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OMW2SKI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2018 Crew Cab 4X4 Hemi 3.92 rear end Big Horn has a 1,520 payload and 10,220 towing capacities.

Recently, I've been targeted by Ford F150 ads on YouTube. Apparently, certain 2018 F150 configurations have 3,230 payload and 13,200 towing capacities.

Is this a marketing gimmick? I mean, can a similarly sized 1/2 ton really haul twice as much and tow 30% more? Is the Ford really that much more of a stout truck?

I wonder how the Ram would compare with the Ford if you loaded both trucks to the max capacities advertised by Ford. I know the frame, brakes, suspension, tires and weight all factor into the payload and towing capacities. I just don't see how Ford is able to achieve (or even market) numbers that are so much greater.

Is there some government oversight or inspections that determine if the trucks are safely able to tow and haul what their manufacturers advertise? Is there some sort of widely adopted industry standard that manufacturers use to calculate these capabilities? Or is this left up to the manufacturers' discretion?

Have 1/2 ton trucks really improved so much in the last few years or are the manufacturers just marketing more aggressively and removing safety margins?

I upgraded my Ram with LT tires and rear air bags. Not that I ever plan on towing 13,200 (or 10,220 for that matter) or hauling 3,230, but I am wondering if the Ford is really that much more capable.

What are everyone's thoughts?

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
Ford has a special option pkg that you can order that includes a HD rear gear axle and more that allows for the greater payload rating. Less that 1 % are produced this way and essentially you will pay what you pay for a 3/4 ton truck in ride and cost.

J2807 is the new SAE society of automotive engineers standard that all now adhere to. It still not air tight.

Payload is always the remainder of your GVWR. On my 2014 1500 thats 6,950.

I don't care much about advertised towing numbers when it comes to TTs 8,000 pounds is about the practical max based on lots of experience and CAT scale & driving results. And fwiw I transport TTs for the Mfgs commercially with my 2014 Ram 1500 ED and have to the tune of 500,000 miles.

Firewall

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Advertised payloads never equal the actual individual truck capacity. That Ford may be a 2WD, with no options. Only way to really determine payload ratings are to see the Trucks yellow sticker. My particular Tradesman with basic options has a yellow sticker payload of 4300lbs, put Laramie options on it and the payload will decrease. The Ford F150's overall have some impressive numbers though!

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Heck, I am still wondering how the OP has a payload of over 1500 lbs on a gen 4 Big Horn?????

I can't imagine my 16 Outdoorsman weighs 300 lbs more than his Big Horn and on my door pillar it says max payload is 1199 lbs.
But maybe if it is a stripped Big Horn with bench seat?

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
because the factory determines the weights, based on a formula AND how much tey want to warranty.
Remember a few years ago, there was chatter to make aqll manufacturers use the same formula but nto sure if it ever really happened.

I do that they play games, with each other. Example: Toyota was just getting into trucks, had great reputation for reliability and was trying to get market share. Ford "leaked" the numbers for their upcoming truck. TOyota went public with numbers slightly higher, no outrageous, darn close but still slightly higher than Fords leaked numbers. Ford true public numbers were significantly lower. alot of fleets guys went toyota and toyota had to keep repairing their truck, once the fleet guy flat out wore them out, under warranty.

so, yes, the numbers are not absolutes, it may be possible to go beyond them but while not under warranty. All amounts are what they say it can tow and what they will warrranty for any failures while towing within those limits.

my 2014 5.7L 3:92 4x4 crew cab short box has a 1550lb payload and 10,100lb towing.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
As stated fords can be ordered with a HD package that has 7 lug axles, that rating will be the heavy duty package 2wd reg cab stripped model. The f-150 is going to have couple hundred pounds of payload more they have leafs and 6 lug axles vs the ram coil spring and 5 lug axles on the 4th gen. Side by side most of the 1/2 pickups stack up pretty close. Options for options that is.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
gofishn is your payload what it states on the door jamb?

My 16 Outdoorsman is almost identical 4X4 5.7, 3.92, short bed, crew cab but my door jamb weight is much less @ 1199 - not much more than the Laramie's and I don't have the fancy seats, etc.

Maybe dual climate, heated bucket seats, 32 gal. tank, skid plates is coming up to more weight than I would have thought.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Aside from what a manufacturer wants to warranty, biggest items are axles, rims, tires, and brakes. GVWR is up in the air, just look at an EcoDiesel and a Hemi. Aside from the motor, everything else in the truck is the same but the Eco’s have a 6950 lb GVWR, the same truck with a Hemi is 6800 to 6900 (depending on year). Why is the Eco higher??????? The engine itself can’t haul or tow more, it just weighs more so they upped the GVWR to keep the payload high enough to actually carry 4 people.

No reason the Hemi couldn’t be 6950.........but then you have all the classifications and CAFE crap, yadayadayada.

Go look at a 2019 Limited Ram and a Platinum Ford, the payload is closer than you’d think based on what Ford advertises.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
gofishn is your payload what it states on the door jamb?

My 16 Outdoorsman is almost identical 4X4 5.7, 3.92, short bed, crew cab but my door jamb weight is much less @ 1199 - not much more than the Laramie's and I don't have the fancy seats, etc.

Maybe dual climate, heated bucket seats, 32 gal. tank, skid plates is coming up to more weight than I would have thought.

Oddly enough, I was messing around the Mopar website, this afternoon, checking out oil change intervals and the like, when I noticed the site says my payload is 1460lbs.
Which is weird because my "2014 Ram 1500 Base Weights/GCW/Payload/Trailer Tow" sheet only shows 2 vehicles with 8hp70 tranny and 3:92 gears. one with a GVWR of 6800 lbs and a payload 1450 another with a GVWR of 69-- and a higher payload of 1550lbs.

Evidently, my truck is the 100# lighter version, hence my payload is also reduced by that same 100#, which does not make sense.

Well, now I am truly confused.

Door tag shows I do have the 6900# truck. Absolutely nothing about payload on any stickers I could find. Axle weights, tires sizes, yada, yada.
which means, according to (You cna google this to get one for yourself) "2014 Ram 1500 Base Weights/GCW/Payload/Trailer Tow" I should have the payload I originally thought, 1550#'s. Only thing I can think of is when I took the truck in for first service, some tech took a look-see at my grith and lowered my payload.

Hopes this helps.

EDIT:
You can go to mopar.com, create an account, log in with your VIN and get all info on all your dealer service and other such things.Payload shows up bottom right corner of the page, for me.

EDIT #2:

just went out and double checked all my stickers. There is a sticker, on the door pillar, that has tire specs and in tiny print a payload amount of 1437lbs.

Of course, there is a sticker that says my truck is teh 6900# truck. SO, I checked my MSRP sticker to see what could possibly lower my payload from 1550, as claimed by my spec sheet, to the 1437#/ Only thing I can determine is I do have 20" Rims, Class IV hitch, CD Player, Middle Jump Seat, 32 Gallon Fuel Tank, back up camera and Trailer Brake Control>imagine the biggest culprit to m lower payload is the weight of the extra 5 gallons of gasoline but, in the end, every once added to the trucks weight, is subtracted from the 1550# max payload of base truck in my specs sheet.

Last edited:

Beerwolf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
The door tag on my Tradesman QC shows payload 1890#. Having the v6 gives you the highest payload. My tongue weight on my trailer is 945#. So when I load the scooters in the bed with the trailer and people I am overloaded on paper, but on the scales I am ok on each axle with the weight distribution, that is what I go by. The funny thing is the truck tows best at full load, steady as a rock and no sway. When I was truck shopping I tried to find a ford F150 with the payload package, was never able to locate one. Most of the Fords I looked at similar to my RAM had 1500# or less of payload. I think Ford only build a couple of trucks with the payload package for bragging rights.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oddly enough, I was messing around the Mopar website, this afternoon, checking out oil change intervals and the like, when I noticed the site says my payload is 1460lbs.
Which is weird because my "2014 Ram 1500 Base Weights/GCW/Payload/Trailer Tow" sheet only shows 2 vehicles with 8hp70 tranny and 3:92 gears. one with a GVWR of 6800 lbs and a payload 1450 another with a GVWR of 69-- and a higher payload of 1550lbs.

Evidently, my truck is the 100# lighter version, hence my payload is also reduced by that same 100#, which does not make sense.

Well, now I am truly confused.

Door tag shows I do have the 6900# truck. Absolutely nothing about payload on any stickers I could find. Axle weights, tires sizes, yada, yada.
which means, according to (You cna google this to get one for yourself) "2014 Ram 1500 Base Weights/GCW/Payload/Trailer Tow" I should have the payload I originally thought, 1550#'s. Only thing I can think of is when I took the truck in for first service, some tech took a look-see at my grith and lowered my payload.

Hopes this helps.

EDIT:
You can go to mopar.com, create an account, log in with your VIN and get all info on all your dealer service and other such things.Payload shows up bottom right corner of the page, for me.

EDIT #2:

just went out and double checked all my stickers. There is a sticker, on the door pillar, that has tire specs and in tiny print a payload amount of 1437lbs.

Of course, there is a sticker that says my truck is teh 6900# truck. SO, I checked my MSRP sticker to see what could possibly lower my payload from 1550, as claimed by my spec sheet, to the 1437#/ Only thing I can determine is I do have 20" Rims, Class IV hitch, CD Player, Middle Jump Seat, 32 Gallon Fuel Tank, back up camera and Trailer Brake Control>imagine the biggest culprit to m lower payload is the weight of the extra 5 gallons of gasoline but, in the end, every once added to the trucks weight, is subtracted from the 1550# max payload of base truck in my specs sheet.

That still isn't bad. I forget if mine says 6800 or 6900. Mine came with 17" LT 10 ply tires but has 20's now.
I want to think 6800 - but have no clue what would be different between the trucks to change that number.
I bet the heated bucket seats and center console account for bit of weight on my Outdoorsman. The skid plates actually weigh a fair amount but not that much.

Mcgruff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
To the OP question: They all play with the numbers and have somewhat deceptive marketing. Everyone wants to say they have the highest “in-class” payload or tow rating or whatever. Showing off a fully optioned crewcab 4x4 while stating numbers from the most stripped down 2wd base model. As VernDiesel mentioned, Ford took it a step further and made a special edition of the F150 with different axles, different suspension and (I’ve read) different frame. Very few are made, you have to go way out of your way to find or special order one and it’ll cost as much as an F250. BUT it allows them to claim best in class payload while showing a pic or video of a very different truck.

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As stated fords can be ordered with a HD package that has 7 lug axles, that rating will be the heavy duty package 2wd reg cab stripped model. The f-150 is going to have couple hundred pounds of payload more they have leafs and 6 lug axles vs the ram coil spring and 5 lug axles on the 4th gen. Side by side most of the 1/2 pickups stack up pretty close. Options for options that is.
Ford did away with the 7 lug axles several years ago. Their heavy duty payload package now uses 6 lug axles. Ram seems to have the most built in padding of all the brands. 4th gen 1500s come with 3900 lb axles which nets you an additional 900 or so pounds above GVWR if you're willing to use it.

silver surfer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2018 Crew Cab 4X4 Hemi 3.92 rear end Big Horn has a 1,520 payload and 10,220 towing capacities.

Recently, I've been targeted by Ford F150 ads on YouTube. Apparently, certain 2018 F150 configurations have 3,230 payload and 13,200 towing capacities.

Is this a marketing gimmick? I mean, can a similarly sized 1/2 ton really haul twice as much and tow 30% more? Is the Ford really that much more of a stout truck?

I wonder how the Ram would compare with the Ford if you loaded both trucks to the max capacities advertised by Ford. I know the frame, brakes, suspension, tires and weight all factor into the payload and towing capacities. I just don't see how Ford is able to achieve (or even market) numbers that are so much greater.

Is there some government oversight or inspections that determine if the trucks are safely able to tow and haul what their manufacturers advertise? Is there some sort of widely adopted industry standard that manufacturers use to calculate these capabilities? Or is this left up to the manufacturers' discretion?

Have 1/2 ton trucks really improved so much in the last few years or are the manufacturers just marketing more aggressively and removing safety margins?

I upgraded my Ram with LT tires and rear air bags. Not that I ever plan on towing 13,200 (or 10,220 for that matter) or hauling 3,230, but I am wondering if the Ford is really that much more capable.

What are everyone's thoughts?

Remember, adding air bags and changing tires does not increase your payload. The RAM 1500 suspension springs are much softer than Ford and Chevy. Hence the substantially greater payload on those makes. My 2017 1500 Hemi payload is around 1800 lbs. My friend's Ford F-150 Eco with a turbo 6 has a payload of 3200 lbs.

fraleywp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
The payload is the difference of the max combined and max vehicle weight. The F150 has the most payload vs similar trim levels. A large part of the reason for this is that the F150 aluminum body weighs less. They both have steel frames so the F150 aluminum body does not take away from its towing strength.

I owned a 2017 F150 XLT before getting the Ram. It had a max tow rating of nearly 11k and a payload around 1700. It is mostly marketing when you see 13k max tow because you would have to order that XL supercab stripper version of the truck to get that max number. But the F150 is still the strongest tow vehicle in the 1/2 ton class. Some might mention the Nissan XD but I wouldn't trust a Nissan truck to go to the grocery store.

I would not worry about towing capacity over 8-9k on a 1/2 ton vehicle. If you need more than that you should be looking at a 3/4 ton in my opinion.

Sent from my Z2_PRO using Tapatalk

fraleywp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
The actual payload is not going to be found in any marketing material on the internet. You have to calculate it on you vehicle using the math mentioned in my previous post. You will lose at least 6-700 pounds on a high option vehicle.

OP
OP
OMW2SKI

OMW2SKI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When logging into the MOPAR website with my VIN, max payload shows 1,520. However, I just realized last night that doesn't match the door jam sticker. It's only 1,327! Not a big deal, I guess. But I was talking to a friend who just bought his first truck and TT, explaining payload and the like. His 2018 Chevy Colorado 4X4 Crew Cab has a higher payload per the door jam sticker. Don't remember the exact number, but it was nearly 1,500. I get that math... But it doesn't make sense to me that a smaller truck with lesser frame, brakes, tires, etc. should have a higher payload. That's kind of disappointing. We have a relatively small TT. It's a 24' bunkhouse. Under 5,000 "dry" and GVWR is 7,000. Even though we're not near the towing capacity, I still have to pay very close attention to the payload.

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Once again, note that the axle rating is 3900 lbs and the tire ratings are higher than that. If you exceed the payload by 200 or 300 lbs, nothing is going to break and you're not going to be a danger on the road. Ensure your tires are aired to max or close to it, and the truck will be nice and stable.

fraleywp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
When logging into the MOPAR website with my VIN, max payload shows 1,520. However, I just realized last night that doesn't match the door jam sticker. It's only 1,327! Not a big deal, I guess. But I was talking to a friend who just bought his first truck and TT, explaining payload and the like. His 2018 Chevy Colorado 4X4 Crew Cab has a higher payload per the door jam sticker. Don't remember the exact number, but it was nearly 1,500. I get that math... But it doesn't make sense to me that a smaller truck with lesser frame, brakes, tires, etc. should have a higher payload. That's kind of disappointing. We have a relatively small TT. It's a 24' bunkhouse. Under 5,000 "dry" and GVWR is 7,000. Even though we're not near the towing capacity, I still have to pay very close attention to the payload.
The biggest reason for the lower payload on the Ram is because of the rear coil spring design. It provides a smoother ride but reduced payload. Leaf springs are much better for hauling. My '17 F150 had a payload something around 1750.

guyc66

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Payload is the difference between the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of your truck and its actual weight. This number will tell you how much equipment/gear, driver/passenger weight, fuel weight, etc. you can add to your truck without exceeding the GVWR. Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) is the maximum allowable weight of the tow vehicle and any towed vehicle combined. The GCWR may be found in the “Owner’s Manual” or in the tow vehicle brochure for the model year you own, usually provided by the dealership. The GCWR is assigned by manufacturers and includes the powertrain's capabilities such as engine, transmission, axles, and gear ratio. Any of the powertrain's components, or combinations of, may create the weakest link in the powertrain. I recommend taking your truck to a CAT scales location so you can find out how much it actually weighs, then subtract that from the GVWR on listed on the door jamb to get a better idea of what your "payload" is.

https://catscale.com/cat-scale-locator/