What did you do with your (new) stock tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DrTron

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
All,
as I am going to use my PW primarily as a daily driver and not really off-road (I know, I know...) I don't think the stock Duratracs are the right choice. When I test drove one, I already noticed the clearly audible hum, which probably won't get better at highway speeds. I guess there is no dispute that mud tires with their block profile will always be louder than highway tires.

Anyway, I intend to have them swapped right at the dealer like probably quite a few of you also did (going to 35's or 37's).

So what did you do with your new stock tires? The dealer said they won't buy back tires, so I'd be stuck with a set that's not exactly new because it has already been mounted and the stickers removed. And I'm not so sure I could sell them around here for a decent price (say, 70-80% of their value).

Thanks!

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Replaced @ 34K when they were below the 6/32" minimum tread depth winter traction requirement. All my truck tires with the 3PMSF rating hum.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A new set of Duratracs of that size will cost around $1,400 from Amazon, and likely a good bit more from a local tire shop. With the shortage of tires and crazy prices right now I would list them on something like Facebook marketplace. Probably list them for at least $1,000 and go from there. If nobody bites you can always lower the price.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if a just using as a daily driver keep the stock tires. I run two sets I run stock tires and wheels for DD and for long road trips and 35 toyos for offroading and roadtrips that have an offroad destination like Moab etc.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Put on FALKENS, advertised on FB locally and sold em.

OP
OP
D

DrTron

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
A new set of Duratracs of that size will cost around $1,400 from Amazon, and likely a good bit more from a local tire shop.
Probably close, yes. I found them around $320 online (285/70R17).

Sure, I could drive them, but they're not really the right tire for highway use. I'd probably have no benefit from their positives, just be stuck with the negatives, those being shorter tire life and higher noise.
Plus, highway tires might even help improve mpg.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Went to a tire shop guy took 1,500 off the price of my new tires and kept the stock ones .
You will be able to make a far better deal at a tire shop than the dealer will give you. My 2500 long box came with 18" Firestonse Transforce as the off road tire. Decent pavement tires but absolutely useless in mud and snow. Put Duratracs on it with less the 2000 miles on the truck. Luckily the original tires have been recalled so I may get out from under them because even at $400 for the set there was zero interest. If you can find another 2500 owner that wants Duratracs it would be an easy swap for the tires that come on the non-power wagon models. The good news however is there is a LOT more demand for the Duratracs than there is for the Firestone crap. A lot of guys like me have been running Duratracs for decades as a good all round, no change out tire.

Last edited:

BlackGold6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
In 2014 when my truck came off the truck and before driving it away I had my stock tires pulled off in favor of the BlackRocks I have.. so in trade I got parts to add to my truck. The stock tires were 32" and the tires on the BlackRock's were 34". Had to have the computer inputs changed to keep my speedo accurate.

OP
OP
D

DrTron

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You will be able to make a far better deal at a tire shop than the dealer will give you.
That's an idea. Like I said, Mark Dodge told me they don't buy back tires, but maybe one of the tire shops in Lake Charles does. I could drive right over and have them swap the tires...

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
That's an idea. Like I said, Mark Dodge told me they don't buy back tires, but maybe one of the tire shops in Lake Charles does. I could drive right over and have them swap the tires...
Yup, call around and see what kind of a deal you can get, pick the best one and see how they want to handle it. Therre are a ton of dealers that would love to have Duratracs to sell.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Probably close, yes. I found them around $320 online (285/70R17).

Sure, I could drive them, but they're not really the right tire for highway use. I'd probably have no benefit from their positives, just be stuck with the negatives, those being shorter tire life and higher noise.
Plus, highway tires might even help improve mpg.
I understand what you are saying about the tires...........but you did buy a Power Wagon. Kind of ironic you paid extra money to get a truck with great off-road ability and than want to put highway tires on it.........

OP
OP
D

DrTron

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I understand what you are saying about the tires...........but you did buy a Power Wagon. Kind of ironic you paid extra money to get a truck with great off-road ability and than want to put highway tires on it.........
I know, I get your point. I still get to enjoy all the other cool features, though.
(But I'd take a bet that 99% of miles driven in PW's are on-road)

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Lots of folks buy rigs because they look cool and are fun to drive. Guys buy a Ferrari and never take them over 80 mph, lots of 4x4 pickups in this part of the country, would bet 80% don't see gravel on a regular basis let alone hard core off road. I pretty much figure if it is my money I get to spend it however I like. If a person doesn't sign my paycheck or sleep with me, their opinion is pretty much irrelevant.:cool: