What do I need for a supercharger?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

krisclarkdev

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hey guys -- I want to supercharge my 2018 5.7L Hemi and I've been doing a ton of research and the more information I find the more confused I am on the topic because it seems to be conflicting. I want to make sure I do this right but also don't want to waste money if something is unnecessary.

1. If I supercharge my Ram do I need to swap to forged internals?
2. If I supercharge my Ram and keep it to a moderate boost (9psi or under) do I need to upgrade my fuel pump or injectors?
3. Are there any other considerations I need to make other than forged internals and fuel delivery?
4. Do supercharger kits typically come with upgraded parts like injectors and such? (I'm looking at a pro-charger)
5. What do I have to take into account regarding impact on reliability?

Thanks,
Kris

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Internals not a must but I'd recommend them. Low boost like 7 and under if you don't go forged. Most kits come with all the fuel system upgrades. Depending on what your looking for from it you may be happier with a whipple over a procharger. Whipple is instant and funner to drive on the street. But that's jmo.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6920 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
K

krisclarkdev

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thank you! If I wanted to do this one step at a time are there any negatives to installing the internals and running my Ram without the SC for a while or should I do it all at once? Also -- any need to upgrade the crankshaft? At what HP do I need to worry about that?

Booms

The OG
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
Whipple 5.7 • SmoothBoost!
1) Get your info from people who have been there.

2) No, you do not need forged internals.

3) Keep the boost at 7 or under, otherwise you will run into problems.

4) Have a couple of thousand dollars above your budget in case you break something, or figure out you need something else.

5) HAVE . A . REPUTABLE . TUNER .

It's a bottomless pit. :)

My Whipple runs 6/7 pounds and never had an issue, except for a nagging check engine light caused by a cylinder misfire, which I am learning is a common problem with boosted Rams.

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thank you! If I wanted to do this one step at a time are there any negatives to installing the internals and running my Ram without the SC for a while or should I do it all at once? Also -- any need to upgrade the crankshaft? At what HP do I need to worry about that?
Exact number before you need a cam not sure but I'm sure you'll start breaking other **** long before that.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6920 using Tapatalk

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
Most superchargers can come as a complete kit with everything you will need.

I was ONLY going to do a supercharger and that's it. I now have a forged 426. It's a slippery slope, but you may have more self control than I do.

Someone mentioned having a couple thousand extra just in case. This is good advice. When you start messing around with 150 extra hp **** can happen.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hey guys -- I want to supercharge my 2018 5.7L Hemi and I've been doing a ton of research and the more information I find the more confused I am on the topic because it seems to be conflicting. I want to make sure I do this right but also don't want to waste money if something is unnecessary.

1. If I supercharge my Ram do I need to swap to forged internals?
2. If I supercharge my Ram and keep it to a moderate boost (9psi or under) do I need to upgrade my fuel pump or injectors?
3. Are there any other considerations I need to make other than forged internals and fuel delivery?
4. Do supercharger kits typically come with upgraded parts like injectors and such? (I'm looking at a pro-charger)
5. What do I have to take into account regarding impact on reliability?

Thanks,
Kris

If you plan on driving it hard,spring for at least a drop in piston and rod kit,as it'll only be a matter of time before it hurts something. If you plan on keeping it for a 100,000 miles,don't supercharge it,you'd be better off dropping a SRT 6.4 into it,as it'll be reliable in comparision to a boosted 5.7,and won't be all that much less power wise and probably alot cheaper in the long run.Buying the blower is the cheap part,keeping it running afterwards is the expensive part.

Ashkon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had same questions when I did mine. Kept it at 7 psi, had a great tuner. No problems for 5k miles and lost part of the top of a piston lol

Josh22855

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dw400 fuel pump, FIC650 fuel injectors, istall a wideband gauge, long tube headers, high flow cars or no cars, keep boost 7psi or lower. I did this same thing, never really felt comfortable knowing the piston ring gap in a stock hemi could ruin your day.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
1) Get your info from people who have been there.

2) No, you do not need forged internals.

3) Keep the boost at 7 or under, otherwise you will run into problems.

4) Have a couple of thousand dollars above your budget in case you break something, or figure out you need something else.

5) HAVE . A . REPUTABLE . TUNER .

It's a bottomless pit. :)

My Whipple runs 6/7 pounds and never had an issue, except for a nagging check engine light caused by a cylinder misfire, which I am learning is a common problem with boosted Rams.

That cylinder 8 misfire isn’t even just a ram issue. We had a hellcat challenger with some intermittent transmission issues at WOT, we ended up watching misfires just for fun. Even the hellcat engine has random misfires at WOT and high RPM, mainly cylinder 8.

So it’s either a fault of the hemi engine design or they’re not real misfires.

Booms

The OG
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
Whipple 5.7 • SmoothBoost!
That cylinder 8 misfire isn’t even just a ram issue. We had a hellcat challenger with some intermittent transmission issues at WOT, we ended up watching misfires just for fun. Even the hellcat engine has random misfires at WOT and high RPM, mainly cylinder 8.

So it’s either a fault of the hemi engine design or they’re not real misfires.

Yes, but what a pain to clear them all the time.