What do you carry in the bed in winter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamInfo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Normally, just my towstrap and hitch stinger for it. But if I need to travel “home” to the Dakotas in wintertime I buy 6-8 40lb bags of Morton salt pellets for my water softener and chuck them in the bed for the trip.

If I’m buying winter weight for my truck I prefer it to be something I can use. I have no use for sand other than to occasionally tell someone to pound it.
:dogpile:

Best,
DG

Mike Flea

US ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Push broom and a shaker container of rock salt. Push broom is the easiest way to clean snow off the windshield without getting covered in snow, and rock salt, just-in-case. My driveway is a 30 degree slope, back in, set parking brake, and throw a handful of salt in front of each rear tire. Truck stays put.

Jughed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Crew Long Bed
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My 2WD (W/LSD) Mega was a southern truck... had it in the snow a few times and it was not good, even with weight in the bed. Snow tires would have helped... moved north and the truck was worthless in the winter. I have a 300' driveway with a decent slope down, then back up, the truck would get stuck at the bottom.

Had a 1500 Big Horn with "highway" Goodyears on it and a bed cover - truck did just fine, no extra weight needed.

My 2500 CCLB has some decent winter tires on it - I don't think any weight will be required.

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Push broom and a shaker container of rock salt. Push broom is the easiest way to clean snow off the windshield without getting covered in snow, and rock salt, just-in-case. My driveway is a 30 degree slope, back in, set parking brake, and throw a handful of salt in front of each rear tire. Truck stays put.

These are way better than a push broom for protecting the paint...

https://www.amazon.com/SnoBrum-Push...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=ZGKSVZPFT95M6FZYCRTW

I carry one of these, and a small shovel. Shovel is handy for clearing the pile from the plow when it goes up and down the rows while I am at work. Fact is, with this truck, I probably won't need it, but will put in the truck out of habit.

OP
OP
Agent86

Agent86

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Normally, just my towstrap and hitch stinger for it. But if I need to travel “home” to the Dakotas in wintertime I buy 6-8 40lb bags of Morton salt pellets for my water softener and chuck them in the bed for the trip.

If I’m buying winter weight for my truck I prefer it to be something I can use. I have no use for sand other than to occasionally tell someone to pound it.
:dogpile:

Best,
DG
I also planned on using salt pellets for the same reason. :)

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
This is what I carry in the bed of my truck during the winter... Well, at least when my wife isn't looking! Buahahahaha!!!

1384421028_car_wash_36.jpg

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
My 3500 is useless in the snow in 2wd. I've got a 800' slightly uphill driveway. Constantly put it in 4wd if there is any snow pack. It's even worse with a 1000 lb plow sticking out front. I use 11 70# tube sand as a counter ballance.

Casey Phalen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I carry shovel, broom, tire chains. May have to get some sand bags

JimGregory

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

GrumpyOleMan

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Growing up in Minne"snow"ta, as a teenager I drove a half ton two wheel drive. stacked hay bales in the back and if you stacked 'em sideways and nice and tight, nothing moved back there and you couldn't see it from the side (at a distance anyway). Coupled with good snow tires and I could go just about anywhere.

Nowadays, I am a little bit older and a lot less broke. drive a '19 Classic QC 4x4 with nothing in the back and don't hesitate to put is 4WD when needed. No problems with Dakota's winter yet (snowing again today).