What do you carry in the bed in winter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I keep a small tote back there all the time
with jumper cables, tow strap, mini inflator, work gloves and rain gear. just for problems on the road.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
My truck weighs over 7,000lbs. so I feel it is not needed. It gets around pretty well in the snow & ice. Even with the crappy TransForce. Now with the Cooper AT3's it does even better.

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I never found the need to put additional weight in the back. I keep the typical essential winter gear in a bed-mounted swingcase (tow strap, jumper cables, hitch shackle, compact shovel, some tools, my old firefighter gloves and an old jacket and hat among other things). I've driven through NY blizzards (no "snow days" in the FD) and Vermont snow storms without issue. Driving correctly and having the right tires is most important in a 4WD truck. I suppose extra weight won't hurt but I never found it necessary.

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do small children count . . . unless they fall out

You’ve got a plain white unmarked van too, right?

Drove 03 SLT QC 2x4 for 9 years with only a Leer Cap for rear weight. Only had a bit of trouble in axle deep snow. New 2018 CC 4x4 sports a Leer hard tonneau and a roadside emergency kit. 4wd is the saving grace.

T.

Last edited:

bdc2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Around here snow usually starts with ice. 350 lbs in the bed will keep you a little straighter.

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
PSA: Beware, whatever you carry in the cab or in the box, can become a projectile if your involved in a frontal impact situation. Inertia rules all if items are not secured in place.

We now return you to your regularly schedule programming.

T.

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I try to tie all my ball bearings down individually, but the weight of all the tie down straps means I need a dually. There has to be a better way.

I’ve got a bag to hold small balls.....but it only holds two. Go figure.

T.