What do you guys think?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I'm heading out to a local state park this month that's about 9 miles from home one way.

Since its so close I've often thought about pulling it there with no wdh connected, especially with this 2500.

My trailer is around 6k loaded. Does anyone know what the weight carrying capacity of my stock receiver is with no wdh? I figure I'll be in the 8-900 lb tongue weight range.

Just curious. I've always hooked up the wdh for safety, but I feel like this 2500 is stout enough that i could make that short (no highway, max speed 50-55 mph) run on the ball only and it would cut down on my hook up/unhook at the CG time.

What say you good men? Thoughts?

Thanks
Greg

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I tow a 7000 lb loaded utility trailer on a ball hitch no WDH about the say distance as you state. not very scary with the 2500. I have a B&W receiver that rates the 2 inch ball at 7500 and the 2 5/16 at 14500 GTW.

if I remember correctly a class V on the 2500 max tongue was about 1800 lbs.

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Utility/dump/box trailers tend to be a little better balanced than travel trailers which tend to have higher tongue weights. Still I'd think it would work, just check that the front doesn't raise too much.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
I agree, your fine with the straight bumper pull. With the goose neck set up we rarely bumper pull any more. I pulled a friends bumper pull to the coast last month. I used the WDH only because I wanted the "horse trailer" to ride level for the horses comfort.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Not even close to needing WDH with what you describe. Your payload is +/- 3000# and your 800-900# tongue weight is ultra-conservative. Same truck with my old trailer very similar to yours I use to run w/o the WDH all the time for short runs like you are talking about. Truth be told, I think I only hooked up the bars to keep from being hassled by do-gooders at gas stations and the campground trying to educate me :) I did always run with the anti-sway friction bar attached, though.

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Thanks guys. I was looking at the receiver briefly the other day and couldn't seem to find where it showed the max weight carrying capacity. If it is 1800 then I should be ok.

I think this next trip I'll give it a go and just be extra careful the 2 or so miles I'll be up to 55 or so mph. I was figuring 12-15% tongue weight range and trying to be on the liberal side. I noticed the last trip out my camper may be running a little nose high. May have to try going down one hole on the drop shank. I'll have to see what it looks like again and take some measurements. It will seem very weird running without the wdh because I've always used it.

BruceMorgan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have no opinion but connecting the bars on my Equalizer takes at most 90 seconds. So towing without them doesn’t save much time.

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
True, but I have other reasons (things that take extra time for me) not readily apparent for not wanting to run them on a short trip like this. So I've been considering trying it for a long time now. Figured now that I have this 2500 it was a good time to see how it goes

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Shoot I towed my 28' camper last year 3hrs out and back without the wdh in place with no problems at all and never used it on my 2500.

I have it all hooked up now for our next trip though.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
I've never had a WDH hitch, and I pulled my 30' enclosed car hauler all over creation with not so much as a wiggle. The tow vehicle was a 2500 with 6.7 Cummins.

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Update- I looked at my owners manual last night. The class V hitch on my truck has a 1,800lb weight carrying / 18,000 tow rating. Pretty dang strong I'd say. So even figuring on the heavy side, if my TT has a 900lb tongue weight, I'm only at 50% of the weigh capacity of my receiver. Should be no problem.

I admit, it'll feel very weird not putting the wdh on because I've always used it, but I'm going to see how this goes. If this was a long trip and on the highway, I'll use both wdh and sway control for the added stability. I'll try to report back after this next trip with how it goes with no wdh.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
One of the physics part of a WDH is moves the "fulcrum" point forward of the the rear wheels. This lessens the chance the trailer can lighten the front wheels when it bounces.

I've never had a WDH hitch, and I pulled my 30' enclosed car hauler all over creation with not so much as a wiggle. The tow vehicle was a 2500 with 6.7 Cummins.

You also have an extra 1000 lbs over the front axle.

Cardhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update- I looked at my owners manual last night. The class V hitch on my truck has a 1,800lb weight carrying / 18,000 tow rating. Pretty dang strong I'd say. So even figuring on the heavy side, if my TT has a 900lb tongue weight, I'm only at 50% of the weigh capacity of my receiver. Should be no problem.

Just for the sake of noting it, that's the rating on the receiver and not the hitch as that will have its own rating. That said, 2.5 inch receiver size implies similar capacity. If you know the model you can find the specs on the manufactures web site. Since your down this rabbit hole you might as well see where it goes.

Even with the bars attached or not, The weight is the same with reference to the ball. If it was strong enough before, it will be strong enough without.

The rest is your choice. I'd just put on the bars unless i'm just going to dump and pull back on the site.

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Thanks guys. Good points. I'll report back after the trip. It's literally 9 miles from home one way about 3/4 of that through towns with 25 and 35 Mph speed limits. The last 1/4 the limit is 55(2 lane road) so ill run it up there and see how the stability is. If its squirrly at all, ill back off and will be using the bars for the return trip and going forward.

My camper is 23' ball to bumper and weighs less than my truck so i think it'll be uneventful. (No tail wagging the dog scenario) but we'll see...

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Thanks guys. Good points. I'll report back after the trip. It's literally 9 miles from home one way about 3/4 of that through towns with 25 and 35 Mph speed limits. The last 1/4 the limit is 55(2 lane road) so ill run it up there and see how the stability is. If its squirrly at all, ill back off and will be using the bars for the return trip and going forward.

My camper is 23' ball to bumper and weighs less than my truck so i think it'll be uneventful. (No tail wagging the dog scenario) but we'll see...

With a 2500, it will only be eventful if you mess up in the drivers seat :)

Seriously, my wife tows 2 horse BP with tongue weight at 1200lbs or so without WDH. We know it is there, but the truck doesn't care and the receiver is more than up to it.

That being said, when I tow the TT in two weeks (5000lbs) I will have the WDH hooked up as the TT has the aerodynamics of a dumpster in wind and 700miles each way can experience plenty of changing conditions.

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Lol! That's true but I learned long ago not to take things for granted. Towing is serious business and should be treated as such. I pray for safe travels each time I go out. I can only control so much. The rest is up to the people I'm sharing the roads with .

700 mile run....no question I'd be running wdh and sway controls

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
2 things imho...

1. I have pulled my camper without any sway or wdh for about 50 miles with highway speeds of 60ish with a regular cab long bed 2x4 diesel Silverado with no issue.

2. If the speed limit is 55 you do not have to do 55.

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Good points farmer. I appreciate yours and everyone's input. All things to consider. I guess in reality its not a big deal. I enjoy the conversation with you good men though. Towing without wdh is done all the time (however at times incorrect) by half ton trucks towing 30+ feet long trailers with the rear ends nearly on the bump stops and headlights pointed at the clouds. (On the ball, no sway control, no wdh). Or same with HD trucks clearly overloaded hauling big construction equipment.

I sometimes wonder if they don't know any better or just don't care? Or both?

Sadly i see it far too frequently and just have to be thankful God put it in me to be naturally interested in mechanics and giving me a great dad who taught me the correct way to tow a trailer.

I appreciate y'all!