What do you love and hate about your long bed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DJMunrocked

Reaction score
Thanks to some awesome folks on this site that are helping me think through a truck purchase, I'm looking closer at a 2019 Tradesman 2500 LB.

I'm a 9-5er who would use the truck for pulling a travel trailer and hauling mountain bikes (I keep them locked in the bed with a shell when I'm at work), and the occasional costco run. In other words, a long bed is not a must for me.

I just sold a 3/4 ton chevy with a short box. The bed size was fine, but when I had bikes in it, couldn't really put much else. I had a long box Dodge many years ago, but I was in Alaska, so I wasn't concerned about maneuverability and parking. I'd just drive the truck to the mountains, then back to the house.

So, how is it driving a long bed truck around towns these days? Is the loss of maneuverability a big thing or does a guy just need to be pickier about what parking lots to drive into?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you going to use it mostly as a truck or Car? I have a long bed its not horrible but i have been driving trucks since i can remember. Parking is a little bit worse than a shorter bed but your still a full size truck lol. I tend to park in the outer 40 as i dont like people door dinging me. I use my truck for work so 8ft bed is a must and if i were to be using it as a daily i would own a 1500. If you have another vehicle i would go long bed.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 1500 crew cab with the 6.4 "long bed" and other than finding places to park I love it

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
It all depends on your area and what kind of places you're parking. For my job I do a fair amount of in-town driving and need to get into some tight spots so a long-bed is a no-go for sure. That extra 2' really limits parallel parking and parking in a lot with tight spots. I've had many trucks over the years and have found the 6.5' bed to be perfect.

OP
OP
D

DJMunrocked

Reaction score
Are you going to use it mostly as a truck or Car? I have a long bed its not horrible but i have been driving trucks since i can remember. Parking is a little bit worse than a shorter bed but your still a full size truck lol. I tend to park in the outer 40 as i dont like people door dinging me. I use my truck for work so 8ft bed is a must and if i were to be using it as a daily i would own a 1500. If you have another vehicle i would go long bed.
Good way to think about it, thanks. Right there with you about door dings.

OP
OP
D

DJMunrocked

Reaction score
It all depends on your area and what kind of places you're parking. For my job I do a fair amount of in-town driving and need to get into some tight spots so a long-bed is a no-go for sure. That extra 2' really limits parallel parking and parking in a lot with tight spots. I've had many trucks over the years and have found the 6.5' bed to be perfect.
That size bed would prob be best for my needs, but man it's nearly impossible to find a '19 or newer Hemi with low miles. Very frustrating.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Love long box. I carry a jockey tank for spare fuel, have a 5th wheel hitch and can fit almost anywhere I need to still. Usually have to back in but to parking spots so it's easier to get out, I'm also a dually with 12 wides so they stick out. People never park too close and usually give me Lots of room when they see me.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I can't compare long bed vs short bed, but I can compare single cab vs crew cab with a standard bed. My 1500 tradesman handles more like a car, quick cornering, easy to park, easy to do a u turn. My works plow truck is a 1500 crew cab, can't remember the model. That things slow and lumbering even without the plow, you have to pay attention when parking, and you have to do a 3 point turn on roads my truck can just whip around on.

Sometimes I'd like the extra space, but I'm pretty happy with a truck that handles more like a sports car. Even without the extra length, it's a little tricky getting into some parking lots, especially Menards.

BB63Squid

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 12V
All of the SUVs and trucks i have owned, with the exception of one Tahoe, that have all been been longer so when I am in "truck" mode I just got used to it being different than say a sedan.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I love mine. Hate is a very strong word!
I daily drive it. I go through drive thru. I parallel park in town. I drive through the forest. Haul a camper. Haul wood. Haul too much stuff.

A PowerWagon is my dream truck, but love the LongBed too much to get one.20200418_140754_HDR.jpg20200601_184632_HDR.jpgdownload.jpeg20210508_171640_HDR.jpg20210508_112533.jpg20220528_112548.jpgScreenshot_20221220-121222~2.pngScreenshot_20221017-070659~2.png

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
If I could get a 10' bed I would, like a 4500 crew cab with a 10' bed would be great. By the time I add the tool/fuel box I already lost 2'. Then add the 5th wheel hitch bed space gets eaten up quick.
It would be nice to stack firewood in front of the hitch to free up space across the tailgate.
Now thinking about it, my tool/fuel box would not even fit in a little bed truck. It would be on top of the wheel wells. 6' bed could never work for me.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I could get a 10' bed I would, like a 4500 crew cab with a 10' bed would be great. By the time I add the tool/fuel box I already lost 2'. Then add the 5th wheel hitch bed space gets eaten up quick.
It would be nice to stack firewood in front of the hitch to free up space across the tailgate.
Now thinking about it, my tool/fuel box would not even fit in a little bed truck. It would be on top of the wheel wells. 6' bed could never work for me.
And never be able to uturn again! That's a longgggg man

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
I drove a long bed extra cab for 20 years. It did everything well except for parking in tight spaces.

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ive got no input im just didnt know you could get a long bed with a crew cab. That is one long truck lol.
Ive got a Quad Cab with a 6'4" bed. I wouldnt get a Crew Cab with the shorter bed. IMO it renders it pretty useless and dont like the real short beds.

Can you get a Crew Cab with a 6'4" bed? Must be a special order as ive never seen one. Then again, the white truck longbed pic above ive never seen one of those either and it exists.

DerekZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9L
No regrets at all for my long bed.
Get the truck that fits your mission.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Ive got no input im just didnt know you could get a long bed with a crew cab. That is one long truck lol.
Ive got a Quad Cab with a 6'4" bed. I wouldnt get a Crew Cab with the shorter bed. IMO it renders it pretty useless and dont like the real short beds.

Can you get a Crew Cab with a 6'4" bed? Must be a special order as ive never seen one. Then again, the white truck longbed pic above ive never seen one of those either and it exists.
Yes. You can get a crew cab with 6'4" bed. Not a special order. There are plenty of them out there...but they go fast sometimes

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
And never be able to uturn again! That's a longgggg man
I have my CDL and driven tractor trailers. I can handle a truck. U-turns are unnecessary, I call it reroute.
Do you think 2 more feet will make difference for me deciding a U-turn. Lol
20210803_083628.jpg