What Do You Love, And What Do You Hate About Your Eco?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
I love the power ,the economy,, and they way it drives

I hate they way it tries to take off in third gear when making quick stop and go...... And I cannot think of anything else

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
Plenty of power 95% of the time, decent economy, nice ride, decent looking truck.
I really detest the BW 44-44 transfer case in the upper trim levels if FCA doesn't change that
and I see no sign of that I'm waiting to see Chevys inline 3 liter diesel.

OP
OP
Kapt

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
What don't you like about the transfer case? The one in my Laramie works perfectly. The truck has been a beast in the snow

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Like others I like the low end grunt, the mpg's are amazing and the quietness of the motor running.

As far as dislikes there aren't many. I wouldn't mind less turbo lag, but my pedal commander has helped that.

So far I am super happy with the little oil burner.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
What don't you like about the transfer case? The one in my Laramie works perfectly. The truck has been a beast in the snow
The BW44-44(has Auto button) full time transfer case uses a clutch/ball screw to transfer power to the front wheels. It takes wheel slippage be detected before power is sent to the front wheels. When you get off the throttle the front wheels disengage. If you only snow covered pavement pound, you probably won't notice it's shortcomings.
It leaves much to be desired if your familiar with a the part time transfer case like the BW44-45.

It would be nice to have the intercooler situated similar to the CTD, so the heat from that doesn't wash the radiator. It would help with heat issue while towing, but can't complain as I can tow 8K lbs when I need to.

OP
OP
Kapt

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
Like others I like the low end grunt, the mpg's are amazing and the quietness of the motor running.

As far as dislikes there aren't many. I wouldn't mind less turbo lag, but my pedal commander has helped that.

So far I am super happy with the little oil burner.

Pedal Commander should just come stock from the factory on these trucks

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage

I have several problems with it.
I expect my truck to be as capable as my older truck where.
Even when in lock mode it continually disengages and requires wheel spin/slip before it will attempt to engage.
It disengages and spins when trying to walk it over moss covered rocks or logs.
Get on an almost zero traction surface and it will provide very limited power to the front axle.
The computer disengages it when parked.
Extremely limited engine braking from the front axle.
This fancy truck has made me walk up my driveway at least once every year, except this year so far,
and these are times when my wifes Equinox has driven up it or my old 2000 Chevy K2500 has.

OP
OP
Kapt

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
^^^ I hear that!!!

Typetwelve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0
-The engine sound...I know it's silly but I like the sound of a diesel engine and the occasional turbo noise
-The low end grunt is amazing in poor conditions, the thing handles mud and snow much different from my '14 5.7 did, and that's a good thing.
-The MPG, while much less than others here seem to get, is still right at 20 mpg ave, far better than the 12 mpg I was getting from my '14
-Once the engine is much above 200F...the acceleration is just fine, not quite up to where my 5.7L was...but I'm ok with that.

Dislikes:

-The truck when it's cold...it's a freaking dog and just doesn't want to get rolling. Sometimes to a dangerous extent...
-The truck when it's cold...getting the heat to work in the thing takes time
-The truck when it's SUPER cold...being forced to start my truck when the air temp was -25F got me a lovely CEL and limp mode capped at 45 mph
-I despise having to plug in/unplug my truck every day
-Winter blend diesel makes my MPG go down
-I despise that grille cover, if the temps are at/below freezing, it is a godsend...when the week is freezing one day, not the next, freezing again after that, pulling it on and off just plain sucks
-DEF is a minor irritation, I don't mess with boxes/jugs of the stuff so going to a truck stop is kind of a pain...and messy if you're not careful.

So..in summary...I don't like this truck when it's below freezing outside. When it's at or above freezing? I think it's a great truck...

Because I live in a crap-hole state where it easily hits freezing 6 months out of 12, I won't be buying another when I trade this one in.

OP
OP
Kapt

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
It doesn't get that cold here but mine is still a pig when it's not warmed up yet .Pedal Commander helps but doesn't resolve. It always wants to take off in third gear when it's cold Prolly some fuel saving idea

JimboAnz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Diesel
Love my ecoD. picked mine up used last summer with about 20k on her.

GDE tune helps with the lag tremendously off the line from what I have read.

Love the MPGs. I am averaging right at 25 MPG as tracked on fuelly. Several recent 26+ tanks.

Love the ride, although it is soft in the rear if you hook up a trailer to it, will sag. Pondering timbren bumps for when needed, they seem easy enough to swap out when needed. I do not tow a lot, but have towed 1 good load of 7,000 pounds. pulled great, did not hunt gears in tow haul mode. averaged like 21 mpg on that run, kept speed at 65 or less.

I just realized I have load range E tires on the truck. Nitto Dura Grappler. I like these tires. I had only checked tread depth when I bought the truck, PO must have put them on at some point.

OP
OP
Kapt

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
What's the cost for the tune? Pedal Commander is around $300 and a five minute install It works amazingly well too

drozek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I love my MPGs, I love the new radio I put into from a Jeep 2018 now I have android auto. I love my GDE hot tune, will be doing a full delete once I get my settlement money.

I am getting my GDE trans tune Monday.

What I hate that my 2015 ram doesn’t have is the keyless entry and push to start. My old 2011 Durango had this. I know I can do it but for 400 to 500 bucks I will keep inserting the key fob

OP
OP
Kapt

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
I didn't realize how much I would miss remote start until after I had this truck for a while. I don't get it. It's a Laramie. Loaded. Yet doesn't have rear window defrost, or keyless and remote start

OP
OP
Kapt

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
So you're out a vehicle while they do it then? That would be a bummer

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
So you're out a vehicle while they do it then? That would be a bummer

I'm pretty sure you can order one by giving them your VIN/specs and give them an extra $650 deposit. They'll send you a new (to you) ECM that you can plug in and then you send your ECM back to them. Sfter they check out that it's good, they'll refund your deposit. That way you won't be without the truck. (Key words are "I'm pretty sure" - you'd have to confirm).