What do you use to reach your roof?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

406shark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I searched and couldn't find this topic... maybe I'm just slow? lol

I'm wondering what you use to reach the top of your hood and roof when cleaning/detailing your truck? It doesn't help that I'm running a 3" lift on mine, but I've got to think it would be impossible to reach at the factory height.

I'd like to find something that would be light weight, easy to use and store when not needed... and hopefully not require me to step up and down for every step. I was thinking something like scaffolding, but much lower to the ground.

Thanks,

Jeff

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
I usually climb up on the front tire when I do the hood, and because I'm a somewhat lazy... what I can't reach of the roof from standing in the bed, generally doesn't get cleaned. I will occasionally pull out a big cooler we have to stand on. We have a wash pad that is on an extendable handle that my wife uses that reaches everything for her. She can stand in the bed and clean off the roof area pretty easy.

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I scored a pair of these at Princess Auto during one of their sales. It's years ago but I think they were like $30.00 or so. Great for a lot of jobs around the house. Doubles as a truck access stand. Great for a porta-bench for holding tools or whatever when working on stuff. They measure: Package (L x W x H) 40.5 x 13.7 x 5.7 in when the legs are folded for storage. I'd not pay the normal asking price. They also make a smaller version. Very stable as long as your not "over reaching".The legs lock down with a latch.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/250-lb-aluminum-work-platform/A-p8612947e

T.

8612947.jpg

Last edited:

KnurledNut

SemperFi
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I scored a pair of these at Princess Auto during one of their sales. It's years ago but I think they were like $30.00 or so. Great for a lot of jobs around the house. Doubles as a truck access stand. Great for a porta-bench for holding tools or whatever when working on stuff. They measure: Package (L x W x H) 40.5 x 13.7 x 5.7 in when the legs are folded for storage. I'd not pay the normal asking price. They also make a smaller version. Very stable as long as your not "over reaching".The legs lock down with a latch.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/250-lb-aluminum-work-platform/A-p8612947e

T.

x2 Works for many projects around the house including our Rams.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Harbor Freight has some stools like that for $20 each
I stand on my kobalt wheeled toolbox. It’s also got all my detail stuff in it. Now doing the roof of my c/c is a 2 beer job by itself. It’s not until we start detailing our trucks till we discover there’s 10 acres of paint and chrome on them. Lol

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 4x4 C/C
Tradesman Power Wagon

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score

T.

X3 on the staging.

To reach across I use one of those plastic Swiffer floor cleaners with a mitt or towel attached to it.

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As of late I've been using the local drive-through-no-touch car wash to keep the RAM tidy. When I choose to do the driveway wash I use a telescopic spin-mop similar to the one pictured for reaching upper surfaces and hard to reach spots. This makes for very easy work, no access stand needed. The mirco fibre head on this thing is amazingly soft. It is a dedicated car wash tool stored in my shed.

T.

p173-magic-spin-mop-bucket.jpg

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A stepping stool for the sides of the hood. For center hood and roof I stand up in the cab, hold on to the oh **** handle with one hand and use the other hand to reach the rest! And then have to get in the bed to get the rear center of the roof.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
Harbor Freight has some stools like that for $20 each
I stand on my kobalt wheeled toolbox. It’s also got all my detail stuff in it. Now doing the roof of my c/c is a 2 beer job by itself. It’s not until we start detailing our trucks till we discover there’s 10 acres of paint and chrome on them. Lol

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 4x4 C/C
Tradesman Power Wagon

Thankfully there is zero ugly chrome on my ram!
well....with the exception of the lug nuts...... when i save up enough bananas, there will be some black Gorillas here.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just a plain 4 foot step ladder all these things its crazy and a ladder is always useful I think :waytogo:

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have a telescopic wash brush that reaches everything from the ground to wash it, but giving it a chamois dry and cleaning the windshield and sunroof I use a step ladder or when the ladder disappears I use a 5 gallon bucket and take my chances.

Pana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use a step foot peg. Bought it for under 20 bucks on Amazon. Says it supports up to 500 lbs. Beats carrying a step ladder around your truck and getting your water hoes tangled up in there. It's also nice because its so small I can leave in the back compartment and pull it out if I need to load up a surfboard or whatever on the roof. I weigh 215 lb but I had a buddy that weighs 350 step on it and it held strong.

step1.jpg

step2.jpg

step3.jpg

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lasse452