"What DON'T you like about your 5th Gen RAM"?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GonnaBuyaDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
none
Engine
none
I knew the Ram was going to be trashed before you told us your choice, that's why I didn't make any comments or advice. I knew what was going to happen and it did. There's not a point to be made on my part.
Trashed? I would literally have bought a Ram if they had a worthy competitor engine in gas. They do not. I held my nose and ordered a Ford. I have had 5 Chrysler/Jeep vehicles in the last 15 years. 0 Fords. I still have no idea what point you think you're making.

I came on this site to get some comparison stories from people who've driven both.

You've driven neither, I can tell.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wish the screen would have a night time setting ,it's so bright it tends to blind you at night.
Go in your Uconnect settings and dim it. Also make sure the horizontal rotary dial below your headlight switch is in the proper position so that when you turn your headlights on, it dims all the dash lights to a lower setting.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Trashed? I would literally have bought a Ram if they had a worthy competitor engine in gas. They do not. I held my nose and ordered a Ford. I have had 5 Chrysler/Jeep vehicles in the last 15 years. 0 Fords. I still have no idea what point you think you're making.

I came on this site to get some comparison stories from people who've driven both.

Thanks, now you know what I have driven. I've been driving longer than you've been alive. It's your choice, drive what you like, that's what I do. Not what others suggest.

OP
OP
TestPilot57

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I don't have one because they derated the 6.4 instead of using the 485HP version in the srt vehicles.
There's a reason for de-rating an engine installed in a truck rather than in car. In a car you are never going to apply maximum power for more than a few seconds - maybe up to 20 or 30 if you are going uphill from a stop to maximum speed.

In a truck one can exert maximum power for many minutes when towing. This leads to reducing longevity, so the engine is re-designed to produce less power in favor of an increased durability.

OP
OP
TestPilot57

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I wish the screen would have a night time setting ,it's so bright it tends to blind you at night.
It does, but you can override it (like it sounds like you did) with the thumbwheels below/next to the headlight controls. If it's all the way up (past the click-point) they will always be bright. If it's below the click point they will be on Bright when the headlights are OFF and dimmer (to the level selected) when the headlights are ON.

Also see pages 455-456 (that's the 2020 one, may be different on 2021) owners' manual for the U-Connect setting for the center screen brightness control.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score

Just like to add that I've driven about every brand that there is, (I work on them, I'm a mechanic). I only talk about the big 3. I don't care what other brands advertise. Don't even care or acknowledge other brands. I know what I like from experience, not what my buddy or anyone else says. If I listened to others I would have never chosen Mopar. It works for me so why would I care what others think?

Last edited:

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Just like to add that I've driven about every brand that there is, (I work on them, I'm a mechanic). I only talk about the big 3. I don't care what other brands advertise. Don't even care or acknowledge other brands. I know what I like from experience, not what my buddy or anyone else says. If I listened to others I would have never chose Mopar. It works for me so why would I care what others think?
But don't you know if it doesn't say toyota its pure junk! I've owned about 40 vehicles in my life and all but one were very good. Not one of them was japanese made.

Beltsand

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A (prior 2010,2019,2022)
Engine
Cummins
The worthless spare, and not being able to turn the stereo off.
Mine came with a full size spare on a steel wheel. Pretty sure this is an option you can add to any truck, and comes as part of some of the packages.

My 8.4 screen has a display off button, which leaves the radio on. There is a mute button, which turns the sound off, which I will use at a drive through. And, I'm pretty sure pushing the volume button will turn it off as well, but I don't like driving in silence, so not something I do on purpose.

Firestarter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
It does, but you can override it (like it sounds like you did) with the thumbwheels below/next to the headlight controls. If it's all the way up (past the click-point) they will always be bright. If it's below the click point they will be on Bright when the headlights are OFF and dimmer (to the level selected) when the headlights are ON.

Also see pages 455-456 (that's the 2020 one, may be different on 2021) owners' manual for the U-Connect setting for the center screen brightness control.
I can’t dim the nighttime settings. I’ve tried everything I know to try. Definitely blinding at night. Daytime setting can be changed easily.

cornelius967

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 G/T
Engine
HEMI 5.7 w/eTorque
Just 4 things:

1. The idiotic rotary shifter
2. The mess that can't be avoided when changing the oil
3. The lack of any available option to "lock" the gas cap or fuel door
4. The switch for the rear sliding window is illogical! For more than 50 years, we've been pushing or pulling up on window switches to close the window and down to open them. Why would they not follow the same logic on the rear window switch????

Last edited:

jeveretts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 etorque
I can’t dim the nighttime settings. I’ve tried everything I know to try. Definitely blinding at night. Daytime setting can be changed easily.

I noticed the same thing in my 2022 1500 Laramie. Screen is too bright at night, moving the brightness switch to the left of the steering column does nothing, and in the display settings the night time brightness is greyed out, with only daytime brightness able to be adjusted.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I noticed the same thing in my 2022 1500 Laramie. Screen is too bright at night, moving the brightness switch to the left of the steering column does nothing, and in the display settings the night time brightness is greyed out, with only daytime brightness able to be adjusted.
So turning the little horizontal dial right below the headlight switch doesn’t do anything? As far as my 2018 4th-gen, as long as the headlights are on I can use my little horizontal dial and can pretty much turn my dash lights very dim except for during the daytime when my headlights aren’t on, I don’t think I can change the brightness but again, when the headlights are on I can dang near turn them off.

SKS 800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
8 months and I am still not liking the rotary transmission knob. It’s in the same location as my 2018 4x4 knob and a few times I’ve almost grabbed it to shift into 4 wheel drive.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just 4 things:

1. The idiotic rotary shifter
Let me guess… Reached for the fan knob or the volume knob one too many times?
2. The mess that can't be avoided when changing the oil
Oh, it can be avoided, it just takes a little bit extra care. People have had success with putting a Ziploc baggie over the whole filter amongst a couple other little tricks but what I found that works for me was going to Walmart and buying a 12 inch by like 7 or 8 inch Tupperware bowl that was about 3, 4 inches tall that I trimmed down to about an inch and a half tall on one end and about an inch tall on the other end that slides real nicely on top of the front axle below the filter to catch the spilling oil once the filter is loosened and what really helps that filter-change process is a set of ramps to drive the front of the truck up on. I’m 6 foot and I can sit straight up cross legged right in front of the radiator and actually pretty comfortably change my oil filter without having to clean up a whole lot.

3. The lack of any available option to "lock" the gas cap or fuel door
What, too lazy to go on Amazon and order one? They don’t come with tethers I don’t think but a simple little 1/4 inch hole drilled pretty much anywhere in the new cap and there ya go, won’t lose it.

4. The switch for the rear sliding window is illogical! For more than 50 years, we've been pushing up on window switches to close the window and down to open them. Why would they not follow the same logic on the rear window switch????

I guess they could’ve left the switch alone and made the window open towards the driver side in order to make this work but I’m sure they probably have the switch situated the way it is so that it’s easier to grab and pull it toward you as opposed to pushing it away from you so on this part, I agree.

cornelius967

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 G/T
Engine
HEMI 5.7 w/eTorque
What, too lazy to go on Amazon and order one? They don’t come with tethers I don’t think but a simple little 1/4 inch hole drilled pretty much anywhere in the new cap and there ya go, won’t lose it.
Feel free to post a link to a locking gas cap for the new "capless" fuel filler. But thanks for the wise-crack about being lazy. Did you read the thread title?
I guess they could’ve left the switch alone and made the window open towards the driver side in order to make this work but I’m sure they probably have the switch situated the way it is so that it’s easier to grab and pull it toward you as opposed to pushing it away from you so on this part, I agree.
It's not a "pull towards you" type switch. You would know this if you owned a 5th Gen RAM with a sliding rear window. Thanks for chiming in though.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Feel free to post a link to a locking gas cap for the new "capless" fuel filler. But thanks for the wise-crack about being lazy. Did you read the thread title?
Sorry, my bad, being that there’s two of these discussions; one for the fourth gen trucks and one for the fifth Gen trucks, I often get them confused as to which one I’m in at any given time but OK, I had forgotten that the new fifth GEN‘s had this capless style fuel cap so just to end any more confusion, what year model truck do you have? I found this on the Geno’s Garage website and even though it says it’s not for the 2021 and newer body-style trucks, it does say however it’s for the 2019 and the 2020 newer body-style trucks so if you’ve got a 19 or 20 then, here you go but if you have a 21 or newer then well, I guess don’t get so been out of shape about the lazy comment because you’re not in that category being that you have that cap-less fuel filler neck.
It's not a "pull towards you" type switch. You would know this if you owned a 5th Gen RAM with a sliding rear window. Thanks for chiming in though.
OK so, since I don’t have one of these newer body style trucks and since they obviously changed the style of the button then what exactly is it and what exactly is it about it that you don’t like?

Last edited:

67440dodge

Military
Reaction score
Add me to the rotary knob club... funny how my boss laughed at me over it, yet made it his #1 complaint on how satisfied he was with his 2017.

Paint so thin you look at it wrong way and it scratches to primer.

Small bed..

Open back door too hard (ie wind catches) and upper hinge will cause door to doorskin to bow outwards.

Other than that, good truck..

ecervus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e torque
The weather tech storage bin is good. I have one