"What DON'T you like about your 5th Gen RAM"?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
Add me to the rotary knob club... funny how my boss laughed at me over it, yet made it his #1 complaint on how satisfied he was with his 2017.

Paint so thin you look at it wrong way and it scratches to primer.

Small bed..

Open back door too hard (ie wind catches) and upper hinge will cause door to doorskin to bow outwards.

Other than that, good truck..
my box is big enough, you just have to purchase the one with a bigger bed lol.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
That dead gum rotary shift knob and the “Noise Reduction“. I prefer to hear what is going on with my engine and drive train. My 22’ CCLB doesn’t ride anywhere near as good as my 18’ CCSB did.

Oh and did I mention that abomination AGS? Yeah 18 wheelers had them and they did away with them in the early 70’s. Why? Because they had to be blocked open in the summer and the fan clutch was invented.

Last edited:

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 22’ CCLB doesn’t ride anywhere near as good as my 18’ CCSB did.
Really? That was one of the reasons why I actually considered at one point getting a long bed CC was from some people saying it rode better with the longer wheelbase.
Oh and did I mention that abomination AGS? Yeah 18 wheelers had them and they did away with them in the early 70’s. Why? Because they had to be blocked open in the summer and the fan clutch was invented.
How come you don’t like it? I don’t know if you live where it gets cold but mine works great for getting the truck up to temperature quicker. But if yours is running like those old trucks are back in the 70’s then delete it. There’s even a kit you can buy that allows you to totally get rid of it

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Our lowest temperature is in the 30’s. I tow with mine during the summer and as of yet haven’t had to deal with heat, but I’ve seen what the temps looked like on my CTD without the “shutters“ and I just can’t believe it’s not going to be a problem. The ride on my LB feels jittery. I don’t know how else to explain it. I lowered the air pressure in the tires and added 500 lbs. in the bed and it’s still there. When you hit a bump, you feel that and then you feel it about 3 or 4 more times. It’s so bad at times you can’t talk or carry on a conversation. Other times it rides as good as any car.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Our lowest temperature is in the 30’s. I tow with mine during the summer and as of yet haven’t had to deal with heat, but I’ve seen what the temps looked like on my CTD without the “shutters“ and I just can’t believe it’s not going to be a problem.
Soo, you’re comparing a CTD to what, the Hemi? Plus you said you haven’t towed with it yet in the heat yet you’re making this assumption based on how hot a big ole powerful diesel got?…lol. That Hemi is gonna get hot when it’s towing in the heat because it’s pretty much designed to get hot being that it has an over 200° thermostat so, that won’t be because of the louvers. Which speaking of which, those old shutter trucks you spoke of earlier were probably air-powered, not new technology electric. But you know, if if does get a little on the hot side, like I said, delete it and put in a colder thermostat.

Wirerat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I definitely prefer andriod auto over the built in nav of my 2017 but, I do miss the cluster showing the turn by turn graphics.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I definitely prefer andriod auto over the built in nav of my 2017 but, I do miss the cluster showing the turn by turn graphics.
I wonder if anything android like the Samsung Smart Watch for example does like what my Apple Watch does when I use my Apple Maps with Apple CarPlay where I get the turn-by-turn directions on my watch rather on the screen….

Wirerat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wonder if anything android like the Samsung Smart Watch for example does like what my Apple Watch does when I use my Apple Maps with Apple CarPlay where I get the turn-by-turn directions on my watch rather on the screen….
It's definitely just lazy implemention to leave that off. Or intentional.

But hey, they need some kind of difference or no one would buy the built in nav.

I love using waze nav on the 8.4 though. And not worrying about outdated maps.

I mean, uconnect pulled features away from 17 as it aged. At least I don't have worry about that. No connected services this time.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's definitely just lazy implemention to leave that off. Or intentional.

But hey, they need some kind of difference or no one would buy the built in nav.

I love using waze nav on the 8.4 though. And not worrying about outdated maps.

I mean, uconnect pulled features away from 17 as it aged. At least I don't have worry about that. No connected services this time.
I don’t know if I’d go so far as to call it lazy implementation. I mean after all, it is a feature that’s designed to work with the factory navigation, not something on your phone. Just like how the turn-by-turn feature on my Apple Watch for example, it only works when I use Apple Maps regardless of the CarPlay adaptation. It doesn’t even work with Google Maps either.

But what features did they pull away?

Wirerat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don’t know if I’d go so far as to call it lazy implementation. I mean after all, it is a feature that’s designed to work with the factory navigation, not something on your phone. Just like how the turn-by-turn feature on my Apple Watch for example, it only works when I use Apple Maps regardless of the CarPlay adaptation. It doesn’t even work with Google Maps either.

But what features did they pull away?
When I first got the truck in 2021 And activated the uconnect app w/paid account, I could use the app's (built in Google maps) to find an address on my phone and send it to the truck.

It was called "send 'n Go".

Really cool. It worked with the truck moving. My wife could send the address from her device. Pretty neat. On the truck side it was one click to start when the cmd came in.

It was a decent substitute for having Google maps in the dash. My outdated built in maps didn't matter.

Uconnect dropped this feature whenever they sent me the 4g dongle. They let it die with 3g.

Also the voice text reply was deactivated.

I was paying $12 a month for an app to remote start after that feature went away.

I just didn't use that enough to want to keep it going on the new one. Especially since my fob works from anywhere in my house, lol.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
After 40,000 miles:
1. Rotary shift knob. Still finding myself putting it into wrong gear and/or grabbing if to put car in 4wd. Kind of minor issue.
2. Auto shift to park when driver door is open. Only a big deal when adjusting trailer. Avoidable when I connect lap belt behind me, so not a huge deal.
3. Hard to find Oil and fuel filters. This is my biggest hassle, especially fuel filter.
4. More of an annoyance: Having to push the brake and start button when standing outside the vehicle before checking trailer lights.
5. No place to store key fob in dash. My first push button start vehicle had an in dash slot to hold the keyfob when driving. I don't like having keys or fob in my pocket on long trips. My wife has pants without pockets and she's always wondering where she put the fob, and doesn't like leaving it in purse.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
When I first got the truck in 2021 And activated the uconnect app w/paid account, I could use the app's (built in Google maps) to find an address on my phone and send it to the truck.

Really cool. It worked with the truck moving. My wife could send the address from her device. Pretty neat. On the truck side it was one click to start when the cmd came in.

It was a decent substitute for having Google maps in the dash. My outdated built in maps didn't matter.

Uconnect dropped this feature whenever they sent me the 4g dongle. They let it die with 3g.

I was paying $12 a month for an app to remote start after that feature went away.

I just didn't use that enough to want to keep it going on the new one. Especially since my fob works from anywhere in my house, lol.
I think it was dropped because of Apple Carplay and Android auto. These things have supposedly ended the need for even having a car navigation system. Once your phone is your navigation software, you don't need to "send" to car anymore.

Yeah, I am not buying it either. Just wait to see how well you can search for a destination in an area without cell service.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

The voice text stuff is still there and as far as I know the send and go feature only works when you pay the Sirius/XM Guardian subscription.

I don’t really use the app-controlled features all that much myself but being that I’ve been getting a pretty good discount whenever I go to renew every year, I do like the all the other features it provides like the SOS and the vehicle recovery stuff that does help a little on my insurance.

Wirerat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The voice text stuff is still there and as far as I know the send and go feature only works when you pay the Sirius/XM Guardian subscription.

I don’t really use the app-controlled features all that much myself but being that I’ve been getting a pretty good discount whenever I go to renew every year, I do like the all the other features it provides like the SOS and the vehicle recovery stuff that does help a little on my insurance.
I had all the services activated. Sirius guardian, siruis weather, Sirius radio and uconnect.

I received a notification stating the send n Go and voice reply would not longer be supported on my truck. I called in and verified.

The app later updated and the send and go icon was removed.

I used send n go often since it was convenient.

I never tried the voice reply since the voice commands left a lot to be desired anyway.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had all the services activated. Sirius guardian, siruis weather, Sirius radio and uconnect.

I received a notification stating the send n Go and voice reply would not longer be supported on my truck. I called in and verified.

The app later updated and the send and go icon was removed.

I never tried the voice reply since the voice commands left a lot to be desired anyway.
What year is your truck? I still have the send and go on mine and I have a 2018.

Wirerat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What year is your truck? I still have the send and go on mine and I have a 2018.
It was a 2017. That's the truck I was asked about further up. I'm in a 2020 now.

Your 2018 doesn't likely require a 4g obd port dongle for services. Whenever the 3g support dropped and I had to use the dongle, that's when the features fell off.

You should have the newer 8.4 with andriod auto/car play.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It was a 2017. That's the truck I was asked about further up. I'm in a 2020 now.

Your 2018 doesn't likely require a 4g obd port dongle for services. Whenever the 3g support dropped and I had to use the dongle, that's when the features fell off.

You should have the newer 8.4 with andriod auto/car play.
I do but unfortunately features get old and outdated eventually. I’m not sure how much longer the 4G will be around but I assume it won’t be around for ever but then again, I don’t let it bother me because I don’t even use my factory nav. It’s something I’ve always wanted and wish I had but after using the nav I have, it just doesn’t hold a candle to Apple CarPlay and I’m really glad I didn’t spend the money on upgrading to the factory nav on my old 08 back when I still had it.

I guess if 4G ever goes away someday, it won’t be too big of a deal because even though I said I like using the Sirius/XM Guardian enough to keep paying for it going on 5 years this December, I’ll just do without it.

Like I said, I love using it but it’s certainly not a necessity.

Wirerat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do but unfortunately features get old and outdated eventually. I’m not sure how much longer the 4G will be around but I assume it won’t be around for ever but then again, I don’t let it bother me because I don’t even use my factory nav. It’s something I’ve always wanted and wish I had but after using the nav I have, it just doesn’t hold a candle to Apple CarPlay and I’m really glad I didn’t spend the money on upgrading to the factory nav on my old 08 back when I still had it.

I guess if 4G ever goes away someday, it won’t be too big of a deal because even though I said I like using the Sirius/XM Guardian enough to keep paying for it going on 5 years this December, I’ll just do without it.

Like I said, I love using it but it’s certainly not a necessity.
Andriod auto has been really good. No built in nav is gonna be able to keep up there imo.

I hid a Samsung tag in the truck. Free location tracking. That's just to help me find it after a late night out. Lol.

If it ever gets stolen, I probably rather not recover it.