"What DON'T you like about your 5th Gen RAM"?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
TestPilot57

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
You mean, other than the fact that a physical key is a 3" long, flat piece of metal that you could literally carry in your wallet if necessary, while the fob is a golfball-sized object that is very uncomfortable to carry in my pocket along with my pocket knife and change? That kind of difference? :emotions34:
Well, actually, as far as I know, there is not a vehicle sold in the USA that doesn't have an RFID chip or similar built into the key head, which makes it at least 1/4" thick.

That said, my wife's new Telluride offers a card, the dimensions of your typical credit card, that can be used to unlock the doors and start the car. Since I almost never drive it, and hate to keep any more bulk than necessary, I commandeered it. It's closer to a traditional mechanical key than an electronic one in that you need to physically present it to the door handle to unlock (or lock) and put it in a specific location to start the car. I'm very happy with that option.

OP
OP
TestPilot57

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
This is more of an observation, not a dislike of my ’22 1500 Longhorn, but I’ve noticed that some cars‘ headlights give a strobe light effect in the digital mirror when they are behind me.
Not surprising, and probably not preventable unless/until refresh rates get much higher.

Related, my wife's new Telluride has an available digital rear-view.

What I like about it - everyone in the vehicle has the same view available. I'm nosy - I like to see who/what is behind me (she generally drives her vehicle).

What I don't like about it - when driving, it takes a noticeable amount of time for your eyes to re-focus and see the image. I presume this is because that with an actual mirror you are still seeing an image that is in a similar range to what you are seeing out the windshield (hundreds to thousands of feet away), whereas with the digital one, you are looking at an image that is 18" away.

The other, not necessarily good or bad, but a bit disconcerting, thing is that the image is being generated from the rear camera, which is not the same place as from the drivers' seat, and so the vehicles behind you look like they're closer than they would be through an actual mirror. That's something easier to get used to, in my limited experience.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
What I don't like about it - when driving, it takes a noticeable amount of time for your eyes to re-focus and see the image. I presume this is because that with an actual mirror you are still seeing an image that is in a similar range to what you are seeing out the windshield (hundreds to thousands of feet away), whereas with the digital one, you are looking at an image that is 18" away.
Yeah, that does take some getting used to. And if you need glasses to read up close stuff, as I do, the image is not as sharp as the regular mirror.
The other, not necessarily good or bad, but a bit disconcerting, thing is that the image is being generated from the rear camera, which is not the same place as from the drivers' seat, and so the vehicles behind you look like they're closer than they would be through an actual mirror. That's something easier to get used to, in my limited experience.
The image is generated from the camera in the high mounted rear brake light. At least in my truck, the image perspective is right where it should be, very natural to look at from that perspective. The things I like best about it no obstructions in the image, and as soon as you see the front end of a car you are passing, you are safe to pull over. And that it switches automatically to the camera on the back of the trailer when I'm towing.

I've switched back and forth a little, but just leave it in digital all the time now.

yrraljguthrie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
etorque5.7
I have a 2023 Bighorn with the level-one equipment group. The only 12-volt socket is on the top of the dash. Why I don't know, it's really an awkward place for me. Nothing in the back. No way for passengers to run or charge electronics since there are no USB outlets in the back and quite limited in the front. Also, my Ford XLT which is a comparable model had electric-operated seats which included lumbar support. The USB ports in the front are extremely hard for a passenger to access. It seems to be a thing with most brands of trucks, but if there is room for storage under the rear seat why is there nothing built in to contain stuff (or junk)?

Also, some of the plastic trim looks like it's worn out. Strange mottled dark color.
Cleaning it doesn't help, it still looks dirty.

These are small things, but they look like just lack of attention to detail and should have been easy to address when designed and built.

The ride quality and quietness of the cab override all these issues.

yrraljguthrie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
etorque5.7
"...You mean, other than the fact that a physical key is a 3" long, flat piece of metal that you could literally carry in your wallet if necessary, while the fob is a golfball-sized object that is very uncomfortable to carry in my pocket along with my pocket knife and change? That kind of difference?..."

The physical key 2 1/4 inches long. I think all keys are flat pieces of metal! The fob is is 3"x1.25"x.75" some bigger than others, but nowhere near a golf ball!. Certainly small enough to fit in your pocket with your knife and change unless you wear 10-year-old girls' jeans! ?? The key is carried in the fob and takes up no additional room??. If a key were required instead of a fob I don't think you could carry in it your wallet. It'd be a bit of a hassle to get it out of the wallet to start the truck! Just leave the fob in your pocket. The unlock button on the keyfob can be pushed from the outside while leaving it in your pocket and is not needed to start and run the truck. Like I said what's the problem, besides being intransigent? I'm 77 and I can make changes to the way I do things.

OP
OP
TestPilot57

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
The image is generated from the camera in the high mounted rear brake light. At least in my truck, the image perspective is right where it should be, very natural to look at from that perspective.
I was referring to the mirror in my wife's Telluride, and the digital mirror seems to use the backup camera, which is at they very back of the vehicle.

Roper46

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L I6 CTD
I don't like the fact that my "Connected Services" were deleted at the factory. Why would they do that on a truck with "Date of Mfr (BUILT) 3 -22" ?