What DON'T you like about your RAM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow. You live in a fantasy world. 3.5 eats hemis for breakfast. 6.4 and can't even make as much torque as a 3.5. Lol. The uconnect in these trucks is a joke. I had a 2013 Ecoboost go 167,000 miles and it was on original turbos. No play in shafts. These ram trucks are 100,000 mile trucks at best. 100,000 miles dump them in a river. Lol

Not to mention the GM 6.2, which are supposed to become more common/available throughout more trim levels. Also in terms of the eco boost, I had a loaner with the 2.7 and I'm pretty sure that was faster than my hemi regular cab was. If not, it would be pretty close.

We've been in this power range for 10 years now, 10 years ago it was impressive, now it's in the common range I would say. I would love to see a boost in power soon, and real power, not something like etorque which I'm not interested in at all.

Needs
fc3646a02beca4bbf6c05e711f81c0eb354d253149028d9ce0fca9def3aaf63a.jpg

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess I’m just old school myself. My 400-horse Hemi 8-speed is plenty fast for me. Plus, I can put a decent exhaust on mine and not make it sound like a rice-grinder. And although I’ll never tow that much but with my 3.92 rear ends I can pull ten-thousand pounds with it.

I could care less what Phord does or says, I don’t need 500hp and I don’t need to tow 13,000 pounds with a damn half-ton. If I needed to tow that much, there’d be a 3/4-ton in my driveway.

**** on them recycled beer can POS’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Omegasupreme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I guess I’m just old school myself. My 400-horse Hemi 8-speed is plenty fast for me. Plus, I can put a decent exhaust on mine and not make it sound like a rice-grinder. And although I’ll never tow that much but with my 3.92 rear ends I can pull ten-thousand pounds with it.

I could care less what Phord does or says, I don’t need 500hp and I don’t need to tow 13,000 pounds with a damn half-ton. If I needed to tow that much, there’d be a 3/4-ton in my driveway.

**** on them recycled beer can POS’s.

So you care what ram says? Lol
Exactly. Settle for less with ram. I get it. Your post is very telling.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I wanted speed I would buy a sports car.

I bought my truck to do truck stuff. Its nice that it has 395HP but its not really necessary IMHO.

I drove a 2.7L twin turbo EcoBoost....of course it was fast and felt nimble, but overall it felt like a tin can. Maybe the "heavy" feel comes in a higher end trim with more insulation, etc, but Big Horn vs SXT, the Big Horn felt a lot more "ample" than the SXT. And the SXT was $4K more to boot!

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So you care what ram says? Lol
Exactly. Settle for less with ram. I get it. Your post is very telling.

That’s just the difference between you and me. You think anything less than what Phord puts out is settling for less. I already said that what I have is fine with me. If I wanted more power, I’d add it.

But no, to answer your question, I don’t consider what I have as settling for less.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If I wanted speed I would buy a sports car.

I bought my truck to do truck stuff. Its nice that it has 395HP but its not really necessary IMHO.

I drove a 2.7L twin turbo EcoBoost....of course it was fast and felt nimble, but overall it felt like a tin can. Maybe the "heavy" feel comes in a higher end trim with more insulation, etc, but Big Horn vs SXT, the Big Horn felt a lot more "ample" than the SXT. And the SXT was $4K more to boot!

All is fair though, we make fun of GM for their interiors lacking so much (and rightfully so), and likewise ford for their issues. Ram is beginning to not keep up with the competition in power, we are looking more like the tundra and just sticking to what we've had for the past decade. So it's fair for that to be pointed out, they all have downfalls or shortcomings, in my opinion ram is getting there with the lack of power upgrades.

That being said the f150 loaner I had was fast with the 2.7, but reminded me of driving a uhaul truck in terms of the steering feel. So I much prefer my ram, I'm on my 3rd straight, but they are overdue for at least offering the option for more power. Just in my opinion. Really was hoping the 5th gens were going to get it, disappointed when I saw what etorque was all about.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No doubt, they could do with a refresh of the drivetrains. I think they rested on their laurels because 395HP out of an NA V8 that isnt even OHC is STILL impressive, it is just low compared to twin turbo, OHC, etc.

They should take the Pentastar and turbo it. Then do what Ford does....base V6 (NA Pentastar), V8 (NA Hemi) and optional V6 (turbo Pentastar). Funny thing is, when I was looking at trucks, finding a V8 F150 on the lot was almost impossible. Found 3.5L and 2.7L EcoBoosts all over the place. I just assumed it was a "dealer orders only the turbo model" but numerous articles pointed at the fact that the turbo take rate was still very low compared to the tried and true V8.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No doubt, they could do with a refresh of the drivetrains. I think they rested on their laurels because 395HP out of an NA V8 that isnt even OHC is STILL impressive, it is just low compared to twin turbo, OHC, etc.

They should take the Pentastar and turbo it. Then do what Ford does....base V6 (NA Pentastar), V8 (NA Hemi) and optional V6 (turbo Pentastar). Funny thing is, when I was looking at trucks, finding a V8 F150 on the lot was almost impossible. Found 3.5L and 2.7L EcoBoosts all over the place. I just assumed it was a "dealer orders only the turbo model" but numerous articles pointed at the fact that the turbo take rate was still very low compared to the tried and true V8.

Fair points, although I believe GM is getting better power out of that 6.2 in a conventional v8. That's really the way I wish it would go, aside from being fast I really don't care for the eco boost. Much prefer the feel and sound of a v8, every time I see a newer raptor go by sounding like an battery powered lawn mower it just leaves me unimpressed. I feel like a vehicle like the raptor sounds much more appropriate with the prior supercharged v8 setup.

Definitely fair to say I lean towards the old school approach still, also without concern for the mpg.

OP
OP
tones2SS

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it were me,......no ecoboost. I drove one a while a go,......it seemed slower than my 5.7 Hemi.
I want the F150 with a 5.0 so I can have it supercharged and have some serious power and torque. That will really move that truck out.

I hope FCA does well with the Hellcat Ram and not price it stupid like they do/did with the Trackhawks. That's ridiculous. Even some of those Jeep SRT's are way overpriced.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it were me,......no ecoboost. I drove one a while a go,......it seemed slower than my 5.7 Hemi.
I want the F150 with a 5.0 so I can have it supercharged and have some serious power and torque. That will really move that truck out.

I hope FCA does well with the Hellcat Ram and not price it stupid like they do/did with the Trackhawks. That's ridiculous. Even some of those Jeep SRT's are way overpriced.

I hear ya. A hundred grand for that Trackhawk, that didn’t even have the full Hellcat power was way overpriced.

OP
OP
tones2SS

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hear ya. A hundred grand for that Trackhawk, that didn’t even have the full Hellcat power was way overpriced.
I tried to buy a leftover 2018 Trackhawk earlier this year. I paid off the truck and the dealership was cheaping out on my trade and they were ONLY taking 5k off the sticker for a Jeep Trackhawk that sat in the showroom floor for over a year.
So, then I tried going for the beautiful left over 2018 Jeep SRT that was gorgeous and that sat there for over a year. Same thing. Too bad.

I checked about 2 weeks ago and they still have the Trackhawks, they had at the time and still do!! lol :happy175:
They sold the Jeep SRT though.

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426

The 5.7 does pretty good supercharged as well...
Willing to bet the TRX is a six figure truck. Also tack on the ridiculous dealer mark ups.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Back when I was truck shopping in 2013 I wanted to drive a 5.0 F150 but there were none on the lot. They were all 3.5 Ecos. I wanted a V8 and the dealership was shoving the Eco down my throat. They told me the 5.0 was for “work trucks” which was a big red flag because work trucks need to be reliable. I ended up walking out on the sales guy as he was telling me how great the eco was. They must get a higher commission for Eco sales or something...

The 5.7 Hemi does everything I need/want it to do. It tows my camper with ease, it puts me back in the seat when I want it to, and it will get 20+ mpg (when I’m being good) on the highway. If it didn’t have a reputation of eating cams randomly, I’d say one of the best motors I’ve owned.

Omegasupreme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

It's not. A whole second faster 0-60. 5.1 versus over 6.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
They should take the Pentastar and turbo it. Then do what Ford does....base V6 (NA Pentastar), V8 (NA Hemi) and optional V6 (turbo Pentastar).

From a pure performance standpoint (towing and acceleration) that would probably be a good move. BUT:

FMuch prefer the feel and sound of a v8, every time I see a newer raptor go by sounding like an battery powered lawn mower it just leaves me unimpressed. I feel like a vehicle like the raptor sounds much more appropriate with the prior supercharged v8 setup.

Definitely fair to say I lean towards the old school approach still, also without concern for the mpg.

I would take a 400 HP Hemi V8 over a 500 HP turbo V6 any day of the week/month/year/lifetime.

With smaller cars, where the question is "NA V6 vs Turbo 4", the Turbo 4 will almost always win. But I'm sorry, a V8/10/12 is hard to beat. (sorry - I had to chuck the 10/12 in there because they sound awesome too!).

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
By the way, SERIOUSLY considering adding a Whipple SC to the 2020...

Last edited:

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
FWIW, I have driven a Porsche with Variable Turbo geometry (2018 Boxster S) and it IS pretty amazing. Doesn't feel like a turbo at all, just a wicked buncha power no matter the RPM. Plus, they have done something so it sounds ALMOST as good as the NA flat-six.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avurado