What DON'T you like about your RAM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
FWIW, I have driven a Porsche with Variable Turbo geometry (2018 Boxster S) and it IS pretty amazing. Doesn't feel like a turbo at all, just a wicked buncha power no matter the RPM. Plus, they have done something so it sounds ALMOST as good as the NA flat-six.

There are two companies in my opinion which incorporate sorcery into their engineering. Honda and Porsche. They make some amazing engines.

I’ve been browsing through this thread and there seems to be a love or hate for small engines and turbos. In my opinion for what it’s worth is this... if someone’s towing a lot and hauling a lot I would say a NA V8 is probably the way to go. If not towing a lot of weight (small boat, ATV etc) I’d say a NA V6 night work. I’d say for 80% of us a turbo 6 or even 4 would suffice for our daily commute and heavily congested roads.

There are needs vs wants and we all fall into a grey area. For me, a small turbo motor like what ford has would suit me nicely. The most I would tow would be a 2000-3000 pound boat and not for too long distances. I commute a fair distance but with ZERO traffic. However, I had the pentastar in my 2016 and now a hemi in my 2017. For my style driving the hemi has proven to be slightly more efficient in its use of power and handles the hills better than the V6. But while In the city I would prefer a V6.

Another selfish reason I want a V8 is the sense of more impact resistance. I had a drunk driver hit me in 2011 head on and since then I’ve had a weird fear I just can’t shake. It’s probably a false sense of security having more motor and most likely wouldn’t really help me in the event of a crash, however, it helps keep my blood pressure down lol.

Love them or hate them I’m glad We have options no matter what brand it is. In my opinion the more options we have as consumers the better and someone is free to choose what they prefer and what suits their budget.

I’m on the side of progress and forward moving. If it weren’t for people striving to come up with new and more efficient ways of transport we’d still be shovelling horse ****.

Tiped on ifone using Tapatalk and auto correct. Can’t you tell?

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m on the side of progress and forward moving. If it weren’t for people striving to come up with new and more efficient ways of transport we’d still be shovelling horse ****.

Tiped on ifone using Tapatalk and auto correct. Can’t you tell?

I'm more than fine with people that want to be on the progress side (and certainly it is a good and needed thing), I just want the option to remain old school. For example, I think it really blows that starting with the 2020's, if you want a longhorn or limited you have no choice but to get the etorque with the hemi. Still a few years away from upgrading again, but when I did I had planned to look at 2020's and up to avoid the first MY of the 5th gen. Now I'm definitely going to have to rethink that or think about downgrading in trim.

To be honest, I really do not need a truck at all so my tastes are all based on my wants. I'm a car/truck guy though and I like what I like.

WSeanMac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
-wasted space behind rear seats. Tacoma seats fold down with lots of storage back there (where I kept all my straps) - so I can see the space back there just can't really use it. With the sub in the long underfloor cubby, that just leaves the one small spot in the back... so for such a large cabin, not a lot of storage back there. The bins in the floor are cool, just small.
-I keep putting it in park instead of reverse... will get used to that.
-wish the MDS was a little smoother

OP
OP
tones2SS

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 5.7 does pretty good supercharged as well...
Willing to bet the TRX is a six figure truck. Also tack on the ridiculous dealer mark ups.
Yeah,...that's gonna be a hard pass for me on the 6 figure truck and nevermind the ADM's like you stated. That's insane.

I don't know about the Ram trucks being supercharged. Yeah,...you get a little more power, but at what cost on a stock engine?
I don't think it makes it that much faster than stock form? I don't think the price of the kit/installation is worth it. That's just me personally.

OP
OP
tones2SS

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's not. A whole second faster 0-60. 5.1 versus over 6.
Wow,......then I want an ECOBOOST!!!! lol

But, seriously. Are they as bad as everyone makes then out to be like they were when they first came out?
I'm not a brand loyalist, so I'll buy whatever, as long as it has the American branding on it.
I would still buy the 5.0 so I can supercharge it. Make big power and go fast reliably.

Omegasupreme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow,......then I want an ECOBOOST!!!! lol

But, seriously. Are they as bad as everyone makes then out to be like they were when they first came out?
I'm not a brand loyalist, so I'll buy whatever, as long as it has the American branding on it.
I would still buy the 5.0 so I can supercharge it. Make big power and go fast reliably.
A whole second is a long time when your race is over in 5 seconds. Well 6 for ram. Lol. Not to mention the 3.5 is detuned, put a tune on it and it's even better. No supercharger needed. And a supercharger is vastly inferior compared to a turbo. Does Ford race the 3.5 over the 5.0?

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
I don't know about the Ram trucks being supercharged. Yeah,...you get a little more power, but at what cost on a stock engine?
I don't think it makes it that much faster than stock form? I don't think the price of the kit/installation is worth it. That's just me personally.

On e85 I'm at 570hp to the wheels. It's quite a bit faster.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
-wasted space behind rear seats. Tacoma seats fold down with lots of storage back there (where I kept all my straps) - so I can see the space back there just can't really use it. With the sub in the long underfloor cubby, that just leaves the one small spot in the back... so for such a large cabin, not a lot of storage back there. The bins in the floor are cool, just small.
-I keep putting it in park instead of reverse... will get used to that.
-wish the MDS was a little smoother
You may be interested in this...

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...&share_fid=17770&share_type=t&link_source=app

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
tones2SS

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A whole second is a long time when your race is over in 5 seconds. Well 6 for ram. Lol. Not to mention the 3.5 is detuned, put a tune on it and it's even better. No supercharger needed. And a supercharger is vastly inferior compared to a turbo. Does Ford race the 3.5 over the 5.0?
Ohhhh,..............I know. lol
That's what I LOVE about Ford. The aftermarket and tuning is insane. That's why I have a Mustang over 700HP. lol :D :drink_nl:

OP
OP
tones2SS

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On e85 I'm at 570hp to the wheels. It's quite a bit faster.
That's pretty awesome.
Stock engine, right? If so, pretty impressive. Enjoy it.

**EDIT
What supercharger are you running? Procharger?

Last edited:

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
That's pretty awesome.
Stock engine, right? If so, pretty impressive. Enjoy it.

**EDIT
What supercharger are you running? Procharger?

Whipple. Yup stock engine. I'm pushing the limits of safety even with the cooling property's of e85 but it's a daily driver so it rarely sees WOT. So...

Although it just did ten WOT pulls in less than an hour on the dyno and everything looked good to the tuner so I'm not worried.

RodeoRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had my truck a little over 2 years now, and I just noticed something on the way home yesterday. I have the base instrument cluster (3.5" EVIC), and I was trying to check my odometer to see how close I am to my next rotate and balance, but with the cruise control active, there is no menu that shows the odometer. I already knew that it won't display on the Fuel Economy menu (where it stays most of the time) with the cruise active, but to not have it anywhere is a head scratcher.

I have a premium cluster to put in. For those of you with premium clusters, does the odometer show somewhere while the cruise is active?

gbark80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had my truck a little over 2 years now, and I just noticed something on the way home yesterday. I have the base instrument cluster (3.5" EVIC), and I was trying to check my odometer to see how close I am to my next rotate and balance, but with the cruise control active, there is no menu that shows the odometer. I already knew that it won't display on the Fuel Economy menu (where it stays most of the time) with the cruise active, but to not have it anywhere is a head scratcher.

I have a premium cluster to put in. For those of you with premium clusters, does the odometer show somewhere while the cruise is active?
I have the base cluster as well and I never noticed that either, will have to look on my way home from work later.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Whipple. Yup stock engine. I'm pushing the limits of safety even with the cooling property's of e85 but it's a daily driver so it rarely sees WOT. So...

Although it just did ten WOT pulls in less than an hour on the dyno and everything looked good to the tuner so I'm not worried.

How much boost are you running?

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

Premium cluster - always shows odo. But only in whole miles - have to have it on Trip A or B to show 10ths. My son's '13 has a menu option to show 10ths on the odo but I can't find anything in mine.

south7west

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 LoneStar
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Yeah it will. When cruise is active you don't really lose any information.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One other thing. Cupholders, when removing cup the inside holder gets stuck to the bottom of the cup.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

If your avatar is a selfie, it looks like you dont need no stinkin cupholders.