What DON'T you like about your RAM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
What is lost in the MDS or start/stop technology debate is not just the MPG gains even if so marginal to not be noticeable or non existant, the EPA also imposes Greenhouse gas carbon credit system. With MDS engaged and the engine having only 4 cylinders not being used, there is still in theory a 50% reduction of emissions. Spread over the number of vehicles sold with that system adds up to many total carbon credits the vehicle maker can claim.

In a non regulatory environment, no company would add and keep that level of complication and extra cost MDS brings to manufacturing. In many ways, one can see why the V-8 HEMI and the like are being pushed out with DI and Turbo coming in, it is more cleaner for emissions.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
With MDS engaged and the engine having only 4 cylinders not being used, there is still in theory a 50% reduction of emissions.
Who's theory? As pointed out a page or two ago, it still takes the same amount of power to move the truck down the road.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Car companies have for a long time had Employee incentive schemes too. The employees were encouraged to give suggestions as to how to make the assembly process easier (hence cheaper) and also how to cut costs. I've seen lots of them for GMH. Somere were things like using 7 screws rather than 10 to hold the back board on buckets seats in place, the Change Notice card showed the 2c per vehicle saving. They employee would have gotten a $20 voucher or something like that. Other ones were like changes to the body to get to hard to get at body mounts that if one fell off its location during the body drop process it was a pain to re-insert it in place as you couldn't reverse the assembly line. So certain body sections were made removable rather than welded so that it could be done in seconds - saved maybe a 5min delay which had a cost associated with it. Most of these things would be practical changes rather than pretend fuel saving.
That didn't work so well for the late Lee Iacocca. As the head screw for Ford, his project Pinto would go "boom" in a rear ending over 15 MPH. Internal memos tendered to him during pre-production testing alluded to the problem. The proposal would add, $1.80 to each car on the assembly line and cost a few more minutes of assembly time.... So, he canned the fix and let destiny fall where it might... That didn't work out so well for Ford, long run. They fired Iacocca, he went to Chrysler, and became the icon that "saved" them from bankruptcy. Look at how cheapo the K cars were....

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Who's theory? As pointed out a page or two ago, it still takes the same amount of power to move the truck down the road.
So many factors to it. Volumetric efficiency, for instance. I had a 1970 Impala when I was young, had hair, etc. It came with a 2 bbl. carburetor. My MPG was 9-11 MPG. I changed the intake and carb to a 750 CFM quadrajet and promptly jumped up to 19-21 mpg on the highway. The delta effect of the primary circuit in the Q-jet was more in line with other factors such as differential ratio, weight of the vehicle, etc. In short, the volumetric efficiency potential was closer to ideal. This was long before computers could manage the driveline!

jack67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm sure it's been said 1,000 times already, but the dial shifter ...I hate it.
LOL, I just made a detailed post yesterday saying just that!

I almost didn't buy my Ram 1500 because of the knob shifter. I'm use to sticks or levers... this seemed out of place and the one thing I've hated since I bought it. I also don't like the MDS, but I bypass that one easy enough. Why did I buy this Ram, well it was so nice other than that stupid shift knob. I'm getting ready to sell it to get my sixth Corvette. If it wasn't for that shift knob, I'd probably still keep the Ram and sell my Ford Ranger 4x4 to get the Vette.

https://moskovita-photography.com/2014_Ram_1500.html

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I dont like not having steps in the rear bumper like on the gmc sierra I had before.

Nicholas Cove

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yay get to come back to this lol. Another complaint I've realized; my quad cab has zero storage space other than the centre console. With the alpine sub under the backseat I've managed to fit exactly one pair of gloves and set of booster cables under it. And even if I did the seat mod there's no room behind the rear seats to store anything.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, here’s another reasonable dislike I have towards all of the fourth GEN Rams that came with the factory premium projectors- granted, I have a set of pretty neat LEDs that’ll be here tomorrow in the mail that will allow me to overcome Ram’s dropped-ball design but why is it that the older Dodge Durango‘s that have pretty much the same, smaller version of those headlights, have integrated white LED DRL’s within the front turn signal boards but they didn’t do the same for the Rams?? I don’t know if the Rams that have the regular quad headlights have this wire going to the headlights but I do know for a fact that the wiring harness that goes to the premium projectors has a dedicated DRL wire for that purpose but instead of telling the company that made the headlights to do the same thing they did on the Durango‘s, they just didn’t and ran that DRL wire to the turn signals which is why if you use alpha OBD to enable your DRL’s and if you want your turn signals to be your DRL’s, that’s why it doesn’t matter if you select “dedicated” or “turn signal” because the DRL designation is gonna be the turn signals.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I dont like not having steps in the rear bumper like on the gmc sierra I had before.
Those are handy. But I think the "deployable bed step" available on the Ram is FAR superior. And yes, I've had both. The bumper step on my '14 GMC that I kept for an entire 4,000 miles before unloading it at wholesale.

assblaster5000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Cold winter startups.... and how long it takes for any kind of heat in the cab. That's what I hate about my 2016. It takes 15-20+ minutes on a cold day to pump heat. The defroster is useless for at least 15 when it's -30 and colder..

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cold winter startups.... and how long it takes for any kind of heat in the cab. That's what I hate about my 2016. It takes 15-20+ minutes on a cold day to pump heat. The defroster is useless for at least 15 when it's -30 and colder..
Hmm, can’t imagine anything heating up super fast in that kind of cold.

ColesRAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
This may have been mentioned in the previous 523 pages, but I don’t like the dial trans shifter. I’m sure there’s a reason for it …….

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This may have been mentioned in the previous 523 pages, but I don’t like the dial trans shifter. I’m sure there’s a reason for it …….
Oh it has, plenty of times. You’d think that with as many people who’s complained about a little dial that someone in the aftermarket would have came up with some kind of conversion kit by now.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Both my late '15 and current '20 warm up way faster than any other vehicle I've owned. Granted, it's rarely -30 here, but I'm speaking relatively.

ColesRAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
Well, whats the purpose of the dial trans shifter on the 8sp if it’s so unpopular…….