What DON'T you like about your RAM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I dislike The key fobs/ push to start garbage
Someone needs to make keys great again
Lol, what is it you don’t like about it? It’s just a simple two-press of one button and viola, it’s remote started. How much easier could it be? They could be like my girlfriends 2017 Civic where you have to push the lock button on the remote a couple times until you hear the car beep at you, then immediately within like five seconds, you have to push and hold the remote start button until the lights flash and the car starts.

Funny thing is, she had that car for over two years before when I came into the story and actually found it out for her that her car even had remote start because when she bought it, the salesman didn’t know how to work it so he told her it didn’t have it but it was always strange because her two key fobs that came with the car have the remote start button. I knew it had to have it or the key fobs to her car wouldn’t have had the button for it unless being that since she bought the car used, the previous owner could’ve lost the original remotes or screwed them up and they gave them two new remotes that was meant for a car they had remote start so I guess it coulda been that but that wasn’t the case.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yeah that switch is awful sensitive, isn’t it? I sure love the one touch up and down, though. I wish my last truck had that.

But yeah, I’ve had the window deflectors on my truck ever since I’ve had it brand new but I guess it was just a lot more of a waste putting them on there for what they’re intended for because that switch is so sensitive but at least there is a bright side, though. Instead of trying to crack just the front windows, crack the back windows because they don’t have that one touch stuff. That’s all I do on a really super hot day because back when I had my old truck, I would only just crack the front windows. Very rarely would I crack all four.

Being that all these door panels come off so easy, is this perhaps something you can fix yourself? I’ve got lifetime warranty on mine so I would probably most likely take mine in to get it repaired but if we’re just talking something that would cost the same or just below what my deductible price is, I think I would just rather save myself the frustration of having to leave it somewhere and try to repair it myself.
I still have warranty and they keep throwing parts at it. They're thinking BCM might be the problem after all the other parts they've changed and that's not cheap. They have a few with the same issue and are trying to solve it. There was a radio update that included something door lock related so they recently gave that a try. They can get them to work perfect until you start the truck and drive it. Then it reverts back to not knowing if it's locked or not and the drivers lock shuttering up and down. Usually ending up unlocked. The most fun part of this is when I forget and just open the door because it's not locked setting the alarm off and me scrambling back into the house to find my keys to shut it off.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have the same problem when I fill the truck and the 100 Gal tank on the back but I get to drive a long way with no stops just flip a switch and my fuel gage goes from E to F
How many times do you have to reset the pump? Most (all, AFAIK) places around here shut off at $100.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I haven't seen it on any packages. If it is available, they hide it well.
On the Laramie, it's part of the Standard Features, under Mechanical Features.

ADDITIONAL MECHANICAL FEATURES​

• 400W Inverter
  • 48-Volt Belt Starter Generator
  • Electric Parking Brake
  • Electronic Range-Select
  • Electronic Shift
  • Engine Oil Cooler
  • Radio / Driver Seat / Mirrors / Pedals Memory
  • Standard-Duty Engine Cooling
  • Tilt / Telescope Steering-Column
  • Tip Start

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I haven't seen it on any packages. If it is available, they hide it well.
It's actually included even on the base Tradesman:

• Electric Parking Brake
  • Electronic Shift
  • Engine Oil Cooler
  • Tip Start

Rut Row

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Diesel
It's actually included even on the base Tradesman:

• Electric Parking Brake
  • Electronic Shift
  • Engine Oil Cooler
  • Tip Start
any idea when they started that?

TBL_mill3r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
2015 Lone Star...

- the damn center console is so squeaky/creaky. felt pads under each lid helped a little, but the open compartment in the center still makes noise

- seems everyone has issues with the USB's in the center console also

Carlo Santin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2020 BigHorn North Edition. The only thing I can think of is the wind buffeting when I roll down the passenger side window about half way. Really violent buffeting in a certain spot. If I roll it up slightly it disappears, or down all the way it's not an issue. That's it. Zero complaints, zero issues. Awesome truck, especially in the winter here in Canada.

Bramic71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
4th Gen. "dislikes"?

What are some of the least things you like about your 4th generation Ram? (This isn't a knock on the truck at all. I LOVE my Ram and this is my second brand new Ram in 10 years.)
I guess I'll go first.
I don't really like the windshield washer nozzles on the hood. I like the way they were on my 3rd gen Daytona. The other thing I'm not too crazy about is the way the MDS comes on/engages. Don't like the "drone" I guess you call it. These aren't real issues for me, just wanted to see what others have to share.
Personally I cannot stand the knob shifter. Random long tapping on startup, and random rattling that seems to be coming from the oil pan area. These noises drive me crazy because I believe o er time that it will do damage to the engine and longevity.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Random long tapping on startup, and random rattling that seems to be coming from the oil pan area. These noises drive me crazy because I believe o er time that it will do damage to the engine and longevity.
I read your lifter tap thread so uh, what have you tried different since March when that thread was still active? Did you ever determine if it was indeed the Hemi tick or a broken exhaust manifold bolt?

But I guess instead of reviving that old thread, when you said you were using a Wix oil filter, were you using just the plain ole 57060 or were you using the much better 57060XP?

The Wix XP and 5w20 Pup is all I’ve used all the way up to my second to last oil change before the switch to Amsoil SS 5w20 and currently on the Schaefer’s 9000 5w20 and no tick as of yet. My truck doesn’t sit quite as long as yours does but pretty much ever since I bought it new, I’ve only been putting between 7 to 8000 miles a year on it and for about the last three months, my truck has only been driven on the weekends.

OP
OP
tones2SS

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Personally I cannot stand the knob shifter. Random long tapping on startup, and random rattling that seems to be coming from the oil pan area. These noises drive me crazy because I believe o er time that it will do damage to the engine and longevity.
I don't mind the knob shifter. It was kinda weird at first, but I got used to it.
I could even overlook the no "power off" button on the stereo system if other things were good. The cheap inferior parts/manufacturing is what bothers me most.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't mind the knob shifter. It was kinda weird at first, but I got used to it.
I could even overlook the no "power off" button on the stereo system if other things were good. The cheap inferior parts/manufacturing is what bothers me most.
So if you could have it your way, what is it with the radio that you want to be able to turn off? Are you talking like, if you were listening to the AM/FM radio or the satellite radio the last time you drove the truck and it was on as soon as you hopped in the truck again later on and started it up, and you didn’t want to hear it? For one, what’s wrong with just turning the volume down of you don’t want music? I mean, I know the thread is about what we don’t like and I know it’s all about personal preference but I just don’t understand why this is a problem. For me, I very rarely listen to the FM radio and I shut my XM off because it was just an expense that wasn’t getting used enough to dictate paying for it but even being that my music is supplied from my iPhone, if I get in the truck the next day and the music begins to play when I push the ignition button, if I don’t want music to play at that time, I just turn the volume down. Easy Peasy.

But what cheap/inferior parts are you talking about? I mean sure, I’ve had to have my headliner replaced, I had to get a whole new Uconnect radio for that screen delamination crap and I just noticed I may have to some day get an idler pulley replaced because something in the belt-drive is squeaking when I start it in the morning but that’s pretty much to be expected with anything new these days. No brand is immune to this. There’s an old saying that really applies even more these days; if it has (o)(o)’s or wheels, it’s going to give you problems.

jelih

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This was one of the first threads I read through when I first bought my truck 3 weeks ago. I read through almost all of the first 300 pages (over several days at work), and then skipped around after that. I had to mute a few of the guys who acted like the ram was their brainchild and flat out refused to tolerate any criticism of it, or always replying with "you should have just bought a trim package that included the options you want." FOH

After having driven the truck for 3 weeks now, I actually don't have any major dislikes, just minor annoyances. It's a 2014, but I thankfully don't have any of the interior squeaking that a lot of you are talking about. Fingers crossed. I'm waiting to hit a pothole and just have everything start squeaking all at once.

I agree with not being able to turn the radio off, but what's worse is not being able to have it not come on when I get in the truck every day. I have to remember to turn the volume down before I shut it off every night. I'm fine with it always being on, I just wish mute would carry over and stay muted until I unmute. I wish cruise control would always be on too unless I turn it off. And I wish MDS wasn't a thing. I drove from Austin to Houston the day after I bought it and hand calculated 20.5 mpg, and then 3 days later drove back and got 21.5. CEL was on the whole way, so MDS had no part in that, and I can live with those numbers. Jury is out on whether or not I'll get a tuner just for that. Maybe when I do the v6 fan mod I'll do it then.

I had a 2013 Mustang. I know a lot of you guys have also had Fords and hated the sync system, but mine would always connect to bluetooth within seconds. The ram takes a good 15-20 seconds before it syncs, and it's a year newer than the mustang was. 2012 GTI also synced faster.

The thing I so far dislike the most about the ram is how little resistance there is in the steering. It's too easy and I'm used to more. The GTI I had for the last 6 years had more resistance, and in the mustang I could change it on the dash, and I wish I could do the same in the ram. Everything else I can live with, but that's the thing I think of the most while driving it. The other stuff is only annoying when I first get in it.

ETA: I don't hate the knob shifter near as much as I thought I would. I'm mostly used to it now. However last night while turning around in the drive way, I turned down the ac and the radio before I finally grabbed the right knob.

OP
OP
tones2SS

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So if you could have it your way, what is it with the radio that you want to be able to turn off? Are you talking like, if you were listening to the AM/FM radio or the satellite radio the last time you drove the truck and it was on as soon as you hopped in the truck again later on and started it up, and you didn’t want to hear it? For one, what’s wrong with just turning the volume down of you don’t want music? I mean, I know the thread is about what we don’t like and I know it’s all about personal preference but I just don’t understand why this is a problem. For me, I very rarely listen to the FM radio and I shut my XM off because it was just an expense that wasn’t getting used enough to dictate paying for it but even being that my music is supplied from my iPhone, if I get in the truck the next day and the music begins to play when I push the ignition button, if I don’t want music to play at that time, I just turn the volume down. Easy Peasy.

But what cheap/inferior parts are you talking about? I mean sure, I’ve had to have my headliner replaced, I had to get a whole new Uconnect radio for that screen delamination crap and I just noticed I may have to some day get an idler pulley replaced because something in the belt-drive is squeaking when I start it in the morning but that’s pretty much to be expected with anything new these days. No brand is immune to this. There’s an old saying that really applies even more these days; if it has (o)(o)’s or wheels, it’s going to give you problems.
I remote start my vehicle almost every time I drive it. I remote start it and I have music playing as soon as I get in. It's already playing even with me not inside the vehicle.
I use an USB. They don't play what I listen to on the radio and I have my USB for that. lol

Cheap parts such as, cheap rubber bushings, cheap brakes, cheap metal.
My rear bushings are shot at 26k. I had to replace the brakes at 13k. I had rust coming through at 20k. Cheap parts.

And yes, the U.S. brands all have defects as do the foreign brand names. If it has (o)(o)s or wheels, it's definitely gonna cost you. I love the truck, don't get me wrong, it's just the things I posted here that mostly bother me, along with that dreaded MDS. But, we can thank our government for that bullcrap nonsense.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I remote start my vehicle almost every time I drive it. I remote start it and I have music playing as soon as I get in. It's already playing even with me not inside the vehicle.
I use an USB. They don't play what I listen to on the radio and I have my USB for that. lol
Can’t you just turn the volume down when you shut it off? If I was listening to music from my phone the last time I drove it, it would start playing but I just turn the volume down.

But see, if you had the option to turn it off, you’d have to remember to turn it off before you got out of the truck when you shut the truck off so, I don’t see the problem of just turning the volume down when you get in vs having to turn it off when you got out…lol.
Cheap parts such as, cheap rubber bushings, cheap brakes, cheap metal.
My rear bushings are shot at 26k. I had to replace the brakes at 13k. I had rust coming through at 20k. Cheap parts.
Dang. I just finally turned over 36k in mine and all that’s fine. I’m still kicking around the idea of new brakes but only for just better performance.
And yes, the U.S. brands all have defects as do the foreign brand names. If it has (o)(o)s or wheels, it's definitely gonna cost you. I love the truck, don't get me wrong, it's just the things I posted here that mostly bother me, along with that dreaded MDS. But, we can thank our government for that bullcrap nonsense.
I’m just glad that since tuning it out is so expensive now that a new PCM has to be bought with a tuner, when I want the MDS off, I just use the shift buttons on the wheel.