What DON'T you like about your RAM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got two 2015 pws and both oil filters were on so tight I had to destroy them to get them off I used two different types of filter wrench’s the socket kind just stripped and the strap kind just crushed it
Was this when the trucks were new?

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
Bad thing is, you’re going to find shoddy Quality Control in a lot of things these days in every vehicle manufacturer but the cool thing is, a lot of that stuff can be easily fixed/corrected.

When I got my new ram, the hole that little screw goes in that secures the front end of the stainless trim over the rubber window gasket at the bottom of the window on the driver side passenger door was stripped from being over tightened so all I did was just got a little bit larger screw and just like that, problem solved.

They had also used two different types of magnet latches that secures the upper flap over the storage pockets on the back side of the front seats; the ornamental latches still looked the same on the outside, but the way the magnets were attached on the underside was not the same as the other one and on the one that I was having problems with, I just drilled out the rivet that held the magnet in place and put a screw in it because the one on the other side actually had a screw instead of a rivet so with that, within a half hour I had that problem solved.

One other thing I found shortly after I bought it was when they tightened down the screws that held both stainless trims on the window gasket at the bottom of the windows of the front doors, they accidentally put a crinkle in that black vinyl tape crap they apply to the doors to the rear of the front windows and in front of the back windows and after I found a discussion where people were talking about removing that stuff, I just decided to peel mine off and was much happier with the look after it was taken off of there.

But yeah, it would’ve been nice if they would’ve used see-through plastic for the coolant overflow tank but at least they included a little dipstick in there so you can see how much you have but, I don’t know about you, it’s pretty easy to tell the difference between which cap the coolant goes in and which cap the washer fluid goes in.
I can tell, but if it’s ever at the dealer and the young lowest paid person goes to fill something…just hope they look at symbols. And I see that these days as said had a lemon Toyota 4 runner known to be the best of the best. Main thing with that was horrible paint & a shimmy, shake, vibration issue that could not be resolved, guess it’s a known thing. Which I woulda test drove longer. Love the ram drive wise vs the 4 runner all day!

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes brand new off the lot came that way from the factory
I was pretty certain you had to have been talking about when these trucks were brand new and it was time to do the first oil change but this isn’t necessarily something about your trucks though, this has to do with the robot at the factory that installs the oil filters.

I thought this was just a fairly recent thing as I had no idea this went all the way back to 2015 but from what I read on here a couple years ago, you’re much better off to just let the dealership do your first oil change so that they can deal with that ungodly tight oil filter and if they happen to screw something up, it’s on their dime to fix.

Last edited:

LumberJakl

Reaction score
Ram Year
'17 Sport QC
Engine
5.7L 4x4
Just had a $6000 repair bill to replace all the lifters and push rods. Surprisingly the Camshaft was in great shape, so that was untouched...
150,000 km on truck, and I have as much idle time as engine hours due to a lot of idle time when I used my truck for work in the oilfield...

I think I will sit on this truck for another couple years before something else happens and trade it in.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just had a $6000 repair bill to replace all the lifters and push rods. Surprisingly the Camshaft was in great shape, so that was untouched...
150,000 km on truck, and I have as much idle time as engine hours due to a lot of idle time when I used my truck for work in the oilfield...

I think I will sit on this truck for another couple years before something else happens and trade it in.
Well, if excessive idling actually does play a big role in whether or not you become a statistic to the dreaded cam and lifter failure, I would say that in this instance it’s not necessarily the trucks fault. I mean, better, more reliable, engine parts could probably prevent this from happening all the way around but still- on an engine with known problems, I would only be idling as little as I could.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Unfortunately my ocd wouldn’t allow me to let the trucks go more than 1000 kms before I looked in the oil filter and I only let other people wrench certain stuff on my truck I always do my own service greasing etc messy jobs like the transmission service I let the dealership do but I inspect it before I leave the lot

LumberJakl

Reaction score
Ram Year
'17 Sport QC
Engine
5.7L 4x4
Well, if excessive idling actually does play a big role in whether or not you become a statistic to the dreaded cam and lifter failure, I would say that in this instance it’s not necessarily the trucks fault. I mean, better, more reliable, engine parts could probably prevent this from happening all the way around but still- on an engine with known problems, I would only be idling as little as I could.

For sure, I never said it was the trucks fault - its just that I've now experienced the cam lifter failures like other people had. I couldn't ask for a better truck for my needs and it has accomplished it. Now that's its fixed and working 100%, I will stick with it for now until I need to upgrade to a Cummins.
Just like everyone else, I was hoping it wouldn't happen to me :/

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Here’s one I just thought about that I feel is a little bit more legit than whining about wanting a CD player but didn’t buy a truck that had one but I guess one of my other gripes- on second thought, it’s not really a gripe, it’s just more along the lines of, why did they design it that way but when they designed the premium projector headlights, why didn’t they make them like the near-identical projector headlights in the Dodge Durango‘s that had the white LED DRL‘s on the same board that had the orange marker lights and turn signals on the bottom of the headlights? Doesn’t seem to me like it would’ve been all that hard to do when there’s several companies in the aftermarket that make some upgraded LED boards to go in projector headlights to make them how they should’ve been when they came out of the factory.

I found out there’s a dedicated DRL wire that goes into the headlight plug on the truck side but because there is no white LED DRL in the headlights, they somehow connected that wire to the turn signal which means if you have alpha OBD, it doesn’t matter if you select turn signal or dedicated as your chosen location of your DRL’s because both those two selections is going to make the brighter side of your orange LED strips light up.

I guess it’s nice they finally incorporated this on the new fifth GEN body styles but why couldn’t they have done this on the fourth gens that have the premium projector headlights? Just doesn’t make sense to me.
Not sure if I get all the nuances of your post, but I upgraded my 4th gen projector lights to Morimoto HIDs via Retroshop.us. The only better headlights I've had (maybe) were in my 2009 MB CLS 550 ($100k+ car in today dollars).

Clayvis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
I like my Ram better than any other truck I have owned. There is always room for improvement. My main complaint is the folding rear seats. Mine are very finicky. I have lubed all pivot points, and they still jam and won't lift up lots of times....
Wish the hemi got better gas mileage, but that's mostly due to my over active right foot...

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure if I get all the nuances of your post, but I upgraded my 4th gen projector lights to Morimoto HIDs via Retroshop.us. The only better headlights I've had (maybe) were in my 2009 MB CLS 550 ($100k+ car in today dollars).
Not sure I understand what you mean by nuances but pretty much what I’m asking is why there isn’t a white dedicated DRL LED in the OE factory projectors like alot of modern cars and being that the Durango headlights look almost identical to the Ram projectors, why is it those do but the Ram ones don’t?

_Steve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L I6
I have not had my RAM for very long yet and have not previously purchased a new vehicle for over a decade. So far I like my RAM a lot. However, while I knew things had gone digital crazy in automobiles (and everything else really), I did not appreciate that EVERYTHING, I mean everything, every feature, option, widget, thingumajig, EVERYTHING, goes through a microprocessor. EVERYTHING. Cannot even open the tailgate without involving a microprocessor, switches, sensors, relays, wires ... I don't like that. Digital offers some great things that might not otherwise be possible, I do appreciate that. But I think we have taken this digital integration thing a bit too far ... more expensive to build, more expensive to maintain, more things to break, and more expensive to fix. Probably a big contributor in the ridiculous mega price. Anyway, enough of that ... I still do actually like my new truck. :) It is a nice drive, nice ride, feels solid and robust, is quiet, and looks pretty snap too.
Cheers!

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would prefer if the hvac system was like my older (07) work car. Where once the cabin is warmed up or cooled off to my liking as long as I'm driving over 30-40mph the blower motor doesn't need to be on at all. There's still enough warm or cool air coming through the selected vents.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Yes technology is great until it’s not you used to able to get your truck fixed with bubble gum and bailing wire and most guys had at least a small bit of mechanical knowledge no more if you don’t have a code reader you a screwed

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would prefer if the hvac system was like my older (07) work car. Where once the cabin is warmed up or cooled off to my liking as long as I'm driving over 30-40mph the blower motor doesn't need to be on at all. There's still enough warm or cool air coming through the selected vents.
I take it you don’t have the auto climate control?

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
My Limited does just that. You need Auto for climate control and it fluctuates the fan speed and temp per your settings.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My Limited does just that. You need Auto for climate control and it fluctuates the fan speed and temp per your settings.
Definitely does, and I just have a lowly Bighorn early build but does have auto climate. Auto Setting, but it is quirky. The thing I most hate about my RAM: Poor poor AC. /// Had the TSB done for the AC and now the remote start system-climate control on cooling just lousy, but if temps under 40 degrees, still get heating and seats on. Dealership stated: no codes, lol, I do not think mechanics troubleshoot ne more, they just read codes and throw parts at it ///.. (Like most, reliable, starts, goes point A-B-A, works for me).

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nope I don't. I like things simple, less to go wrong hopefully. My car doesn't have it either. That's just a base model pontiac with a 5 speed. I'm sure the auto climate would be nice but it's not a big deal. It only takes a second to adjust the dials and I'm comfortable.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nope I don't. I like things simple, less to go wrong hopefully. My car doesn't have it either. That's just a base model pontiac with a 5 speed. I'm sure the auto climate would be nice but it's not a big deal. It only takes a second to adjust the dials and I'm comfortable.
I have it because it came with it, bought off the lot. I can do with/or without. But it is nice to have. Since I got one the the first builds of the New DT truck (built in Apr 2018 bought Aug 2018), some things on this Bighorn no longer come on the Bighorns/Lonestars, like LED lighting, LOL. (I will neva own another vehicle w/o LED lighting)