What engine oil do yall use??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigh3rn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
What's up yall!! I'm new in the forums and I have 2 beautiful Gen 3 Ram 1500s that I tend to keep for as long as I can. I would like to know yalls opinion on the type of engine oil you use on your Ram 1500. I am currently using Castrol GTX High Mileage Synthetic Blend 10W-30 5 qts. High mileage because it has 158k on my 2002 Ram 1500 5.9L. I just purchased a 2003 Ram 1500 4.7L with 52K!!! It was a steal and had to purchase but now it is time to change the oil andwould like yalls opinion on the better lasting oils because I know jack squat and I would like to learn. Yes, I know research on the internet yada yada but if yall could help a brotha out that would be most appreciated.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Any of the big name brands that meet the specs for your truck will be fine. No need for any fancy/expensive snake oil. Castrol is a good oil, if your happy with that stick with it.

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought my truck with 148k on the odometer and use Amsoil XL 5W-20 paired with a Wix 51085XP filter in the now 182k mile engine and have done so since I first changed its oil. The thing with "high mileage" oil is that it expands the seals in your engine, but it never stops. I call it snake-oil because, after a while, you have a worse problem than you potentially started with. Stay away from high-mileage engine oils, use quality synthetic oil and change your oil at regular intervals, you will have no sludging and no problems with leaking seals.

OP
OP
B

bigh3rn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
I bought my truck with 148k on the odometer and use Amsoil XL 5W-20 paired with a Wix 51085XP filter in the now 182k mile engine and have done so since I first changed its oil. The thing with "high mileage" oil is that it expands the seals in your engine, but it never stops. I call it snake-oil because, after a while, you have a worse problem than you potentially started with. Stay away from high-mileage engine oils, use quality synthetic oil and change your oil at regular intervals, you will have no sludging and no problems with leaking seals.

Thanks for the advice and feedback.

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Castrol full synthetic high mileage 5W-30.
Have it changed every 4-5k miles which is way overkill, but you can't change the oil too much in any vehicle.
No tick either.
160k miles.

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Pretty sure it is 5W-30 for that engine.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used Napa 5w20 blend and a Napa Gold oil filter on my 4th gen and I'll continue to use the same on my new 5th gen. I've always had great luck with the Napa oil and I can get it cheap

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Last time I replied in an oil thread I was barred from posting, but let's try it again. Look into molybdenum, at one point we had 6 cam fails in a row on ram forum that came from non moly oils. Read this, moly basics. The issue with hemis are perpendicular force in the lifters, causes hemi tick in many of them, and high moly oils or additives such as lubegard biotech relieve hemi tick. But, if you don't have hemi tick, you still can use a HM oil with moly.

Here is a ****** of your oil.

Here is an example of a high moly HM oil, Pennzoil.

So your oil 52ppm moly, the other oil over 200ppm moly, and moly is what fca put in large numbers in their hemi specific oil. If you put pqia in front of any oil you want, chances are you will get a ****** on it.

See the oil filter thread in my sig, use a spun microglass for sure. I wonder if I will get banned for posting those non cus words, man this new software.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
0w30 or 5w30 or 10w30, the first number is simply a winter rating, it has to do with cold flow, now warm flow. 10w30 is not necessarily thicker then 5w30, in fact in redline oil it is the opposite. So the larger the swing winter rating to weight, and the second number is the weight, the more vii's they have to put in the oil, which are negative aspect if you have a long interval. 10w30 is fine, as long as you don't have start up tick, if you do I'd use 5w30 or 0w30. Depends on where you live, cold places 5w30 at least, probably 0w30 better, again if we are talking cold starts. I stay away from blends, there are no rules to how much synthetic they have to use, so you are better off just staying with conventional oil or synthetic. Now, if you just want a step up from conventional and don't care, then use a blend.

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
I use a 5w30 royal purple. I started using this after my engine rebuild though, I have about 30k on the rebuilt 4.7. Before I used a 5w30 high mileage valvoline with 235k miles before the rebuild. Truck lasted long and ran good with that.