What engine oil do you use in a 5.7 Hemi (non-eTorque)?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UKWildcats9696

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi (No Start/Stop & No eTorgue)
I just bought a new 2022 1500 Laramie late December, and after driving from St. Louis to Orlando and back I have 3500 miles in it. I’ve always used Mobile 1. What do y’all use in your Hemis?

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
RL 5w30 or equivalent.

Only people that haven't read the oil thread would run 5w20 / 0w20 junk.
Or people who don't want to risk any warranty issues and chose to use the recommended oil. I can see you being more choosy about which oil you're using as your truck is more than 10 years old. But since this is the 5th gen forum it's likely the majority of people in this forum are still under warranty.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I just bought a new 2022 1500 Laramie late December, and after driving from St. Louis to Orlando and back I have 3500 miles in it. I’ve always used Mobile 1. What do y’all use in your Hemis?
Redline 5W-30 has one of the best reps as far as oil goes for a Hemi,but Mobil 1 in 5W-30 isn't far behind,if that's your preferance. 5w-20 is a bit light and 0W-20 is even worse,but if you're worried about your warrenty stick to what's reconmended,but both 5W-20 and 0W-20 do have a bit of a rep of causing cam and lifter issues

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Redline 5W-30 has one of the best reps as far as oil goes for a Hemi,but Mobil 1 in 5W-30 isn't far behind,if that's your preferance. 5w-20 is a bit light and 0W-20 is even worse,but if you're worried about your warrenty stick to what's reconmended,but both 5W-20 and 0W-20 do have a bit of a rep of causing cam and lifter issues
Please provide links to reputable data showing 0w-20 and 5w-20 caused cam and lifter issues.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Please provide links to reputable data showing 0w-20 and 5w-20 caused cam and lifter issues.
Why would i provide you with anything,you'll just say i'm disagreeing with you again,lol. Tell you what,please provide data showing that it doesn't cause issues,as you have a burr up your ass in regards to anything i post :Big Laugh: :cheers:
Tell you what,go find us anything that says the bearing clearances are differant between a 2017 5.7 and a 2022 or 2023 5.7. Up till 2017 the big manual said you could substitute 5W-30 if 5W-20 wasn't available,then the government nannies got nasty and yelled at FCA about the trucks not making their claimed milege numbers forcing the note regarding 5W-30 to be removed.So you find us something that proves their machining tolerances have gotten tighter since 2017,as that's the only thing that would change the oil requirements.
Or wait do you think they went after better corporate milege numbers and dropped the oil weight in the hopes of achieving those better numbers,you tell us.
OP up till 2017 5W-30 could be substituted for 5W-20,read the note at the bottom. You'll also note that they don't state anything about 5W-20 improving the longevity of the engine,all they say is it improves cold weather starting and fuel economy,you can be damn sure if they thought 5W-20 improved the longevity of the engine,they'd be touting it to the moon and back.
If you're worried about your warrenty stick with what is reconmended,but you could consider throwing a bottle of Biotech's Lubegard in with each oil change to help provide a little more protection for your cam and lifters.Also drive it like you stole it,as that seems to help keep the cam and lifters happier

Attachments

• IMG_3931 (2).JPG
    IMG_3931 (2).JPG
    196.2 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Why would i provide you with anything,you'll just say i'm disagreeing with you again,lol. Tell you what,please provide data showing that it doesn't cause issues,as you have a burr up your ass in regards to anything i post :Big Laugh: :cheers:
Tell you what,go find us anything that says the bearing clearances are differant between a 2017 5.7 and a 2022 or 2023 5.7. Up till 2017 the big manual said you could substitute 5W-30 if 5W-20 wasn't available,then the government nannies got nasty and yelled at FCA about the trucks not making their claimed milege numbers forcing the note regarding 5W-30 to be removed.So you find us something that proves their machining tolerances have gotten tighter since 2017,as that's the only thing that would change the oil requirements.
Or wait do you think they went after better corporate milege numbers and dropped the oil weight in the hopes of achieving those better numbers,you tell us.
OP up till 2017 5W-30 could be substituted for 5W-20,read the note at the bottom. You'll also note that they don't state anything about 5W-20 improving the longevity of the engine,all they say is it improves cold weather starting and fuel economy,you can be damn sure if they thought 5W-20 improved the longevity of the engine,they'd be touting it to the moon and back.
If you're worried about your warrenty stick with what is reconmended,but you could consider throwing a bottle of Biotech's Lubegard in with each oil change to help provide a little more protection for your cam and lifters.Also drive it like you stole it,as that seems to help keep the cam and lifters happier
So, nothing to back up your claim. I made no claims about the recommended viscosity being better or worse than 5w-30. In fact, RL 5w-30 is what I run in our Limited. But when someone asks which oil to use they should know that deviating from what is recommended can affect a future warranty claim. It's funny you think I have it in for you. I'd have asked for links no matter who made the claim you made.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
So, nothing to back up your claim. I made no claims about the recommended viscosity being better or worse than 5w-30. In fact, RL 5w-30 is what I run in our Limited. But when someone asks which oil to use they should know that deviating from what is recommended can affect a future warranty claim. It's funny you think I have it in for you. I'd have asked for links no matter who made the claim you made.
Can you not read.I think you better go back and re-read what i posted,as i told him if he was worried about warrenty to stick with the reconmended oil,"twice no less,but you seemed to have missed that fact".
I think as soon as you seen it was me,you lept on me,with-out even reading what i wrote,which seems to be your way of doing things
So in other words you have nothing proving they changed the machining tolerances since 2017.If they haven't tightened up the tolerances since then,and 5W-30 could be used then,it can still be used now,contary to what ever ideas you might have.
BTW little tidbit for you,bearing clearances have alot to do with what oil weight you should use,not lifters or piston clearances,and if the bearing clearances haven't changed since 17,but reconmended oil weight has,do you think maybe it might have something to do with corporate milege numbers and keeping the nannies happy.
Have a good evening,as i'm done with you,since you can't prove anything as far as the internal clearances with-in the engines,and until you do,you don't have a leg to stand on,other then taking a swipe at me,which really isn't working in your favor is it :Big Laugh: :cheers:

Last edited:

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Can you not read.I think you better go back and re-read what i posted,as i told him if he was worried about warrenty to stick with the reconmended oil.
I think as soon as you seen it was me,you lept on me,with-out even reading what i wrote,which seems to be your way of doing things
So in other words you have nothing proving they changed the machining tolerances since 2017.If they haven't tightened up the tolerances since then,and 5W-30 could be used then,it can still be used now,contary to what ever ideas you might have.
BTW little tidbit for you,bearing clearances have alot to do with what oil weight you should use,not lifters or piston clearances,and if the bearing clearances haven't changed since 17,but reconmended oil weight has,do you think maybe it might have something to do with corporate milege numbers and keeping the nannies happy.
Have a good evening,as i'm done with you,since you can't prove anything as far as the internal clearances with-in the engines,and until you do,you don't have a leg to stand on,other then taking a swipe at me,which really isn't working in your favor is it :Big Laugh: :cheers:
So many words to say so little. You've made a claim that the recommended oil causes cam and lifter failure. Why don't you back up what you say instead of trolling?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
So many words to say so little. You've made a claim that the recommended oil causes cam and lifter failure. Why don't you back up what you say instead of trolling?
You seem to have a problem reading don't you,nowhere did i make a "claim",as you seem to think.Are you drunk or stoned tonight,as you sure seem to have issues with comprehending what you're reading.I'm pretty sure i know who's trolling who tonight,and seems to have a burr up his butt,first clue is it's not me:waytogo: Who quoted who and has been trying to start something ever since :Big Laugh:. See'ing as how you appear to think i'm wrong,prove that 0W-20 won't cause issues in the long run.
I think if you'll go digging,you'll find more people with cam/lifter issues running 5W-20,then people who've been running 5W-30,prove me wrong,lol

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You seem to have a problem reading don't you,nowhere did i make a "claim",as you seem to think.Are you drunk or stoned tonight,as you sure seem to have issues with comprehending what you're reading.I'm pretty sure i know who's trolling who tonight,and seems to have a burr up his butt,first clue is it's not me:waytogo: Who quoted who and has been trying to start something ever since :Big Laugh:. See'ing as how you appear to think i'm wrong,prove that 0W-20 won't cause issues in the long run.
I think if you'll go digging,you'll find more people with cam/lifter issues running 5W-20,then people who've been running 5W-30,prove me wrong,lol

This is the claim I'm talking about, in case you forgot what you said...

but both 5W-20 and 0W-20 do have a bit of a rep of causing cam and lifter issues

It seems that you can't have an adult conversation without personally attacking people. I'm not a vindictive person, but if you attack me one more time I'll have to take action. If you want to keep this a civil discussion then I'm open for that. Consider this an unofficial warning.

Tom Davis

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Have ran Mobile 1 in everything I have had for many years now, and never had any issues.

woojyee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I watched a video on YouTube where a guy used 5w30 to solve the Hemi Tick. His engine had this tick from day one and when he used the heavier oil, it all went away. I don't have the tick on mine at this point but I'd thought I use 5w30 as a preventative measure. I was unable to find a single oil change shop that would do it. I would have to do it myself and the location of the filter makes it a pain.

Last edited: