What engine oil do you use in a 5.7 Hemi (non-eTorque)?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
literally every single item on every single shelf carries a prop 65 warning, the dumbest state gets dumber and dumber.

every single bar of soap, yup causes cancer. Go into any dollar store, they just tag entire isles, yes everything in this isle will kill you dead, lol. starbucks, yup you will die if you drink it.

proposition-65-gty-ml-180330_hpMain_16x9_992.jpg

Fishsticks anyone? if the bread doesnt kill you the fish surely will. I am surprised they dont tag kale this place is so stupid, kale comes from soil that has bad stuff in it? yeah, they are selective where they require these signs.

OIP.jpg

Of course all oil gets prop 65'd, but what are we now drinking engine oil? Nobody in the history of the world died from washing dirty oil of their hands.

Last edited:

yrraljguthrie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
etorque5.7
Please provide links to reputable data showing 0w-20 and 5w-20 caused cam and lifter issues.

Since you made the statement, it could help quite a few people make good choices if you were to provide sources that aren't third or fiftieth hearsay.

yrraljguthrie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
etorque5.7
The Kalifornia "experts" who do the testing of substances don't have a job unless they continue to find cancer causing materials.

Average J0e

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Lone Star SLT 1500 Rambox
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT
Switched my Mobil1 to 5-30 and no more Hemi Tick!

JeffK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
New cam in mine and been using pennzoil ultra platinum 5w20. I would be interested to see if any advantage on running 5w30.

23Bighorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've run Redline 5w20 and/or 5w30 in my brand new 2020 5.7 since it had approximately 350 miles on it. Oddly enough, this new vehicle had a slight tick on startup anytime I left it without starting, for more than 48 hours. So I dumped the factory oil, wrestled with the apparently TORQUED on oil filter, installed a Fram XG2 filter, and filled up with the Red Line oil. I noticed almost immediately, the engine completely stopped any ticking, whether I let it sit for 2 days or 10 days. I'm at just over 10k miles now. So, bottom line, I took the approach of putting (what many people say is) THE BEST oil I can get - into my new truck, and NOT LOOKING BACK. I change it every 3,000 miles with a new fill of Red Line and another Fram XG2 filter. Knock on wood ... Today the engine runs so smooth and quiet, you'd think it was an electric vehicle! :)
Some folks say I could go longer with Red Line oil than 3,000 miles. That may be true, but in the big scheme of things -- compared to the cost of the truck, the oil cost is very small (I change myself) and I'd rather play it safe. For those who REALLY think I'm throwing away good oil, I'll be happy to sell you my used oil that only has 3,000 miles on it, for 1/3 the price I paid for it, plus shipping. :):)
Thanks.
John
Do you run 5w20 or 5w30 redline or a mix of both?