What equipment makes towing/ camping easier?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This thread was inspired by a question that @GTyankee asked in another thread. I figured this could definitely become a very long discussion.

So here we go. It's started with a comment about rear view cameras for travel trailers. I said that they are nice to have but not needed. Out of 4 trailers this is the only one I've had a camera on.

Now IMHO an electric tongue jack is a must have for a travel trailer or any trailer where you are using a weight distribution hitch.

Clear sewer fittings are almost a must have. You don't need them but it does make dumping your tanks easier. You know when they are empty so there are no messy mistakes.

What else can you guys think of?

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
Modern WDH Weight Distribution Hitch with built in sway control. All 5 1/2 ton Mfgrs recommend when you have a trailer over 5,000 pounds. Think travel trailer. Proper weight distribution of your steer drive & trailer axle weights is hands down the most important thing for the stability & ability to stop of your tow rig IE the safety of your family and ease of driving. The push pull of a passing semi bow wave should not wiggle your truck & trailer like an accordian. It should be 2 fingers driveable not 2 fists & white knuckles.

Axle to frame air bags. Used to compliment WDH these support the suspension for better suspension control on rough roads better ride and ride height. With really heavy long trailers the difference over just a WDH on rough road is immediately noticeable. Less harsh more stable & road compliant.

Factory Trailer Brake Controller. Immediately stops trailer sway. (IMO engagement slide button should be behind steering wheel where radio buttons are) helpful many places.

If you have an Ecodiesel an aftermarket tune that adds turbo braking. Combined with TBC this is a great tool with a heavy travel trailer in the mountains. Controls down hill speed without wearing out or heating up truck brakes. Very reassuring when CVW combined vehicle weight gets up over 15,000 pounds.
Green Diesel Engineering, Sofa King Tuned, Ecodiesel of Canada

Tow mirrors so you don't have to struggle to see what is behind you before making lane changes.

Quality tires. All season HWY for half ton truck. The XL load rated American made Cooper Heavy Tow Plus has become my fav. I actually like them better than Michelin Defenders. 875,000 on my 14 Ram Ecodiesel towing travel trailers commercially.

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
what @chri5k said ^^^

If you camp where the ground isn't always level, carry 4 to 8 pieces of 4"x6" (about 18" long) wolmanized lumber to make leveling the trailer easier.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
An assortment of tools. Half inch impact of your choosing for lug nuts and for those items you don't want to try to wrench on. Portable air pump/on board air capable of inflating large tires if need be. Extra lengths of sewer/water hose. Because hook ups are never close to where your trailers outputs are. Extra length of shore cable/extension for the same reasons. Back flush kit if your trailer/camper doesn't have one already installed.

VernDiesel's post is pretty much spot on for towing. I added an electric tongue jack to my trailer and it is perfect for hooking/unhooking using the WDH.

Big thing too, maintenance and re-checking all safety equipment. Check the tires, suspension of the trailer, make sure your safety chains, break away cable, running lights, brake/stop turn are all working and serviceable. Doesn't hurt to upgrade stuff either. I replaced the taillights on my trailer to large Bargman LED lights, just because when I was checking whether or not the taillights were working right, I could barely tell if they were on or not because of the cheap incandescent lights.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
This thread was inspired by a question that @GTyankee asked in another thread. I figured this could definitely become a very long discussion.

So here we go. It's started with a comment about rear view cameras for travel trailers. I said that they are nice to have but not needed. Out of 4 trailers this is the only one I've had a camera on.

Now IMHO an electric tongue jack is a must have for a travel trailer or any trailer where you are using a weight distribution hitch.

Clear sewer fittings are almost a must have. You don't need them but it does make dumping your tanks easier. You know when they are empty so there are no messy mistakes.

What else can you guys think of?
I agree with everything you mentioned except the clear fittings. I just wait until I don't hear anything going down the pipe to know when the tanks are empty.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
An assortment of tools. Half inch impact of your choosing for lug nuts and for those items you don't want to try to wrench on. Portable air pump/on board air capable of inflating large tires if need be. Extra lengths of sewer/water hose. Because hook ups are never close to where your trailers outputs are. Extra length of shore cable/extension for the same reasons. Back flush kit if your trailer/camper doesn't have one already installed.

VernDiesel's post is pretty much spot on for towing. I added an electric tongue jack to my trailer and it is perfect for hooking/unhooking using the WDH.

Big thing too, maintenance and re-checking all safety equipment. Check the tires, suspension of the trailer, make sure your safety chains, break away cable, running lights, brake/stop turn are all working and serviceable. Doesn't hurt to upgrade stuff either. I replaced the taillights on my trailer to large Bargman LED lights, just because when I was checking whether or not the taillights were working right, I could barely tell if they were on or not because of the cheap incandescent lights.
Also its a good idea to walk around the trailer whenever you stop and do a look see.

OP
OP
Loudram

Loudram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I replaced the taillights on my trailer to large Bargman LED lights, just because when I was checking whether or not the taillights were working right, I could barely tell if they were on or not because of the cheap incandescent lights.
That's what I need to do. I'm probably not replacing my taillights but I'm definitely upgrading to LED bulbs. I've even toyed with the idea of adding a third brake light somewhere. That idea I'm still kicking around.

I almost forgot my latest find. This has been very useful and I love it. Very few places have a sewer connection that's straight up and down. It's always at an angle so I use this. I got mine off of Amazon.

39319_6-Z.jpg

Last edited:

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Modern WDH Weight Distribution Hitch with built in sway control. All 5 1/2 ton Mfgrs recommend when you have a trailer over 5,000 pounds. Think travel trailer. Proper weight distribution of your steer drive & trailer axle weights is hands down the most important thing for the stability & ability to stop of your tow rig IE the safety of your family and ease of driving. The push pull of a passing semi bow wave should not wiggle your truck & trailer like an accordian. It should be 2 fingers driveable not 2 fists & white knuckles.

Axle to frame air bags. Used to compliment WDH these support the suspension for better suspension control on rough roads better ride and ride height. With really heavy long trailers the difference over just a WDH on rough road is immediately noticeable. Less harsh more stable & road compliant.

Factory Trailer Brake Controller. Immediately stops trailer sway. (IMO engagement slide button should be behind steering wheel where radio buttons are) helpful many places.

If you have an Ecodiesel an aftermarket tune that adds turbo braking. Combined with TBC this is a great tool with a heavy travel trailer in the mountains. Controls down hill speed without wearing out or heating up truck brakes. Very reassuring when CVW combined vehicle weight gets up over 15,000 pounds.
Green Diesel Engineering, Sofa King Tuned, Ecodiesel of Canada

Tow mirrors so you don't have to struggle to see what is behind you before making lane changes.

Quality tires. All season HWY for half ton truck. The XL load rated American made Cooper Heavy Tow Plus has become my fav. I actually like them better than Michelin Defenders. 875,000 on my 14 Ram Ecodiesel towing travel trailers commercially.

Good points made :waytogo::waytogo:

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good set of leveling blocks (or 2x4s), wheel chocks, impact driver with a socket for the leveling jacks, and my personal favorite trailer add-on is a full solar set up, good panel with a good controller and a good battery (sorry the cheapo Walmart deep cycles are not good long term batteries), we camp off-grid 100% of the time so no hook ups around. We do a mobile panel so depending on trees and parking spots we can always find sun.

This is a good starting kit:
https://www.renogy.com/100-watt-12-volt-monocrystalline-foldable-solar-suitcase-with-voyager/

CaptOchs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hmm.. A 4-way tire iron. An impact with a socket to raise/lower stabilizer jacks. A 5 gallon water jug & funnel (if you don't have water hookups.) Some eternabond tape for emergency roof repairs. An assortment of electrical adapters to convert your plug to a step higher/lower( 30-to-15, or 30-to-50.) If you don't have electric, bring a battery charger and jumper cables. Tools, (plumbing tools too.) If your awning is manual, stakes and ratchet straps. Automatic ones should be brought in for bad weather. A grill or smoker. Pie irons. Bug spray. If camping in bear country, bring ammonia in a spray bottle to spray around the site after dinner. Some rope for a cloths line. A fold-up shovel (dog **** for yours or a present from former occupants or if your site is wet you can make a channel.) A fold-up rake. An axe and hammer for splitting wood. If you're lazy you can bring a propane torch to help start fires. Pretty much what I can think of atm.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
OP
OP
Loudram

Loudram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Used these to replace the taillights that were there. Easy to do.

I replaced all the marker lights bulbs with LEDs. I want to replace the whole light with a sealed LED light. Just a bit of coin to do that.
Very nice. I take it one side is for brake lights the other is for turn signal?

I might do something different with the side markers. Jayco now has the side markers flash with the turn signals. I might do the same thing. The rear markers I probably won't touch or they'll be last to be replaced. The front markers are already LED's. I don't know why they didn't do the rest of the lights.

Last edited:

DRam2019

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Agm battery/batteries. Moved mine off tongue to under bed in pass through. Little bit of weight off the tongue, and no batteries safely inside for theft prevention.

1STRAM2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I agree on ALWAYS doing a walk around, checking tires, doors, steps,etc., AND all hitch connections after stopping, especially if I have temporarily left my truck/TT combo for ***** break or lunch. Don't trust people around me who might try some mischief such as loosening hitch, etc. for meanness. Also, extra water hoses and sewer hoses are a must, along with back flush capabilites. I use a Flush King even though my TT has black tank flush because you can think everything is running clear until you do a back flush and realize there was a dam of TP holding back all the CHunky Monkey. If you don't believe me, try it once! Head mounted LED light helps when doing everything in the dark.

Lee Pedrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
When you are backing into your camp spot, remove your sway control and unplug your plug to the trailer so your trailer brakes aren't fighting you. Especially in loose gravel.