What, exactly, does "Traction Control" do on a 2017 QC 1500 4X4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jebb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is not clear to me from reading the owner's manual what "Traction Control" does on the 4th gen 1500 4x4s.

It was very common on the older model trucks to have an LSD axle with the Hemi engine - but not with the new trucks. So I'm wondering if Traction Control actually acts like an LSD (using differential braking) - or does it simply reduce throttle if it senses slip at any drive wheel?

Curious that it's recommended to turn Traction Control OFF if stuck in mud. If it's acting like an LSD why would you want to turn it OFF if stuck?

So, it's not clear to me. What exactly does it do?

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I went through this yesterday. The traction control will apply brakes to a slipping wheel so you get power to the one with traction as well as cutting throttle when you don't have traction to keep you in control. I got stuck because it was on and choked me down to the point I lost too much momentum climbing the hill and had to back down and do it again with traction control off. Then I made it up no problem. I have the limited slip in mine, which helps get both wheels spinning without electronic help that can hinder you in situations like a muddy hill climb or deep snow hill climb where you need wheel spin to keep moving and clear the tires.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The traction control will attempt to mimic an LSD. The 4th gen DOES have an LSD option though. It will spin the left wheel. Say for whatever reason your left wheel was stuck, or unable to move, it would apply power to the right wheel.

This does however also limit your ability to spin your tires. The system is flawed in a way that if you continue to use the system and not make any forward momentum, it will ultimately stall the truck.

OP
OP
Jebb

Jebb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went through this yesterday. The traction control will apply brakes to a slipping wheel so you get power to the one with traction as well as cutting throttle when you don't have traction to keep you in control. I got stuck because it was on and choked me down to the point I lost too much momentum climbing the hill and had to back down and do it again with traction control off. Then I made it up no problem. I have the limited slip in mine, which helps get both wheels spinning without electronic help that can hinder you in situations like a muddy hill climb or deep snow hill climb where you need wheel spin to keep moving and clear the tires.
Were you in 2WD OR 4WD at the time? I think Traction Control works differently (if at all) in 4WD mode.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Were you in 2WD OR 4WD at the time? I think Traction Control works differently (if at all) in 4WD mode.
4wd high lock. I drive a lot of temporary roads that are basically just dirt and get real slippery when it rains and get rutted up pretty badly. If not for limited slip I'd be stuck a lot as traction control is often a hindrance vs a help a lot of the time in those conditions, but I need as many wheels spinning as possible for traction. I have considered a power wagon for the E-lockers front and rear, but I find the 1/2 tons get around easier because they're lighter and enough for my needs 99% of the time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jebb

Jebb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
4wd high lock. I drive a lot of temporary roads that are basically just dirt and get real slippery when it rains and get rutted up pretty badly. If not for limited slip I'd be stuck a lot as traction control is often a hindrance vs a help a lot of the time in those conditions
That's why we bought a 4WD, right? If "Traction Control" gives us LESS traction what good is it? What IS it good for?

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Traction Control System (TCS)
The TCS monitors the amount of wheel spin of each of the driven wheels. If wheel spin is detected, brake pressure is applied to the slipping wheel(s), and engine power is reduced to provide enhanced acceleration and stability. A feature of the TCS functions similarly to a limited-slip differential and controls the wheel spin across a driven axle. If one wheel on a driven axle is spinning faster than the other, the system will apply the brake of the spinning wheel. This will allow more engine torque to be applied to the wheel that is not spinning. This feature remains active even if TCS and ESC are in the “Partial Off” mode. This brake pressure modulation transfers drive torque from slipping to non-slipping wheels to provide optimal forward traction.
Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
The ESC system enhances directional control and stability of the vehicle under various driving conditions. ESC corrects for oversteering or understeering of the vehicle by applying the brake of the appropriate wheel to assist in counteracting the oversteer or understeer condition. Engine power may also be reduced to help the vehicle maintain the desired path. ESC uses sensors in the vehicle to determine the vehicle path intended by the driver and compares it to the actual path of the vehicle. When the actual path does not match the intended path, ESC applies the brake of the appropriate wheel to assist in counteracting the oversteer or
understeer condition.
• Oversteer - when the vehicle is turning more than appropriate for the steering wheel position.
• Understeer - when the vehicle is turning less than appropriate for the steering wheel position.
All Ram Two-Wheel Drive Vehicles And Four-Wheel Drive Vehicles In 2WD, 4WD AUTO, Or 4WD LOCK Modes Can Choose The following ESC Operating Modes:
ESC On
This is the normal operating mode for ESC in 2WD/4WD AUTO/4WD LOCK modes and in 2WD vehicles. This mode should be used for almost all driving situations. ESC should only be turned to “Partial Off” or “ESC Off” for specific reasons as noted below.
ESC Partial Off
This mode is entered by momentarily pressing the “ESC Off” switch. When in Partial Off mode, the TCS portion of ESC, except for he “limited slip” feature described in the TCS section, has been disabled and the "ESC Off Indicator Light" will be illuminated. All other stability features of ESC function normally. This mode is intended to be used if the vehicle is in deep snow, sand, or gravel conditions and more wheel spin than TCS would normally allow is required to gain traction. To turn ESC on again, momentarily press the “ESC Off” switch. This will restore the normal “ESC On” mode of operation.
This Is the ESC operating mode in 4WD LOW:
ESC Full Off
This mode is intended for off-road use when ESC stability features could inhibit vehicle maneuverability due to trail conditions. This mode is entered by pressing and holding the “ESC Off” switch for five seconds WHEN THE VEHICLE IS STOPPED and the engine is running. After five seconds, the “ESC Off Indicator Light” will illuminate and the “ESC Off” message will appear in the odometer. ESC and TCS except for the “limited slip” feature described in the TCS section are turned off until the vehicle reaches a speed of 40 mph (64 km/h). At 40 mph (64 km/h) the system returns to “Partial Off” mode.

OP
OP
Jebb

Jebb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When in Partial Off mode, the TCS portion of ESC, except for he “limited slip” feature described in the TCS section, has been disabled and the "ESC Off Indicator Light" will be illuminated. All other stability features of ESC function normally.
OK, does this mean if you turn Traction Control off in 2WD, 4WD AUTO, Or 4WD LOCK mode you still get LSD and oversteer/understeer control ("ECS") but with FULL engine power? ("engine power is reduced" is the only other feature of TCS)

This could be written more simply if that's the case!

And in 4WD Low (and below 40mph) turning Traction Control off (5 seconds button hold) gives you LSD and full power - but no ESC? (could also be written more simply if that's the case)

Last edited:

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
OK, does this mean if you turn Traction Control off in 2WD, 4WD AUTO, Or 4WD LOCK mode you still get LSD and oversteer/understeer control ("ECS") but with FULL engine power? ("engine power is reduced" is the only other feature of TCS)

This could be written more simply if that's the case!

And in 4WD Low (and below 40mph) turning Traction Control off (5 seconds button hold) gives you LSD and full power - but no ESC? (could also be written more simply if that's the case)

Agreed, it could be written more simply. Probably written by a technical writer and corrected by an attorney :Big Laugh:

I find there are several subjects in the Owner Manual that, like the above, could be better written. It seems to me they write things to be technically correct rather than easily understood.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You'll also notice if you wear out rear brakes a lot quicker if you drive in a lot of slippery conditions as the TCS rides the brakes a bit. Especially mud and snow. It does help a lot in winter to keep you from sliding around corners at speed if you're passing or just a little too heavy on the throttle so it does have its place

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
First thing many folks do when it snows up here, is turn off the Traction control while putzing around town. If you have to pull out into traffic quickly with it on, it will hamstring your acceleration so much that you end up slowly creeping out in front of traffic and then they are standing on the brakes (in the snow) to keep from running into you. For those that will say I need to wait for a bigger opening in traffic.....there are some places that if you don't take advantage of a small (but safe) opening, you'd be sitting there all day. Wasilla traffic is insane...especially in the snow.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hate The traction control in these trucks... I had to pull off the hwy into a empty cut out with about 3 feet of powder and I forgot to turn it off..needles to say I almost didn’t get out because it bogged the truck and I lost my momentum.. .. another time it ****** up a perfectly good drift at 65mph on a nice wide freshly graded dirt road... completely killed my mood lol