What happens when the Parking Brake Assembly disintegrates at speed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lysergic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Tradesman 4x4
Engine
4.7L V8
Hello - new forum user here, longtime Ram owner, 2012 Tradesman 4x4, 4.7L. Bought it new back in 2012. Just hit 200K, still going strong. Thought I would share a little experience I had yesterday. Pulled out of the driveway headed to another town about 40 miles away. Got about 1/2-mile down the road and all of the sudden it sounded (and felt) like someone suddenly jammed 1000 wire coat hangers into one of my rear wheels. Way to ring in the New Year! Pulled over and visually inspected the rear end, determined it was coming from driver side rear wheel. Managed to limp it back to the house at about 1 MPH. Waited about an hour and let everything cool off, crawled under the rear and saw this:

EBRAKE.jpg

The Parking Brake Assembly actually cracked! UH OH. Got it jacked up, pulled the wheel. Had to use some severe beating with a 2x4 block and 3lb.hammer to get the rotor off. When it came off, the remnants of the e-brake internals and shredded metal just poured out of it. The adjuster was split in two and had been "grooved" almost in half, length-wise. Good times! How the rear wheel speed sensor survived is simply a miracle..

Anyway, long story short, I cleaned it all up and simply removed all of e-brake parts. Some minor scarring to the inside of the drum. I was planning on replacing both rear rotors in the next few months, this just moved up the timetable. Unfortunately, I don't have a backup vehicle at this time, so upon further inspection, I realized you can run just fine minus the parking brake. I'm NOT recommending this, but in a pinch, it can be done. I've probably engaged the parking brake less than 10 times in the 10 years I've owned the truck, so..

Looks like replacement will involve pulling the axle. I'm half-tempted to pull the passenger side rotor and do a preemptive removal of the e-brake hardware.

Anyway, I hope this NEVER happens to anyone else!

Notice anything funny about the bolts in the picture below? :eek:

EBRAKE2.jpg

Nicholas Cove

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You definitely want to fix that as it directly supports the caliper bracket.

The backing plate is so thin on 4th gens. The hardware is so cheap. They all go bad.

I took mine apart and cosmolined all of it. The truck is a year old and no rust yet so hopefully I can avoid problems in the future.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I think you were in an accident that did not happen

Take Care & Good Luck

OP
OP
L

Lysergic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Tradesman 4x4
Engine
4.7L V8
Update on this thread. Replaced both rear parking brake assemblies even though only one had failed. The other was in very poor condition. While I had what amounted to almost the entire rear end apart and both axles pulled, went ahead and replaced brakes/rotors and the wheel bearings + seals. Not a difficult job at all. All buttoned up and like new. Note to self: Store gear oil in warm house if the weather is cold. Pumping 75/140 gear oil in below 30 degree temperatures sucks. You northern folks can have a have laugh at the southerner for that one.

To anyone considering replacing their rear wheel bearings and seals - don't be intimidated when it comes to pulling the rear axles. If you can change oil or transmission fluid, you can do this. It's simple, and you will save a ton of $$$. Spend the money on the right tools and the job will go smoothly.

The one item that gave me a GIANT fit on both wheels was removing the parking brake cable from the assembly. Whoever designed that spring & clip arrangement that holds the cable to the assembly needs their head examined. I'm sure there's a special tool just for it...

Next up - front end CV/Axle & hub replacement. We're still on the original axles and hubs. Got a leaky shock and one axle is starting the dreaded click. Boots are good, I think it's just wore out. Hey, 200K miles, I might as well do everything and get her ready for the next 200K miles. :)

Nicholas Cove

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update on this thread. Replaced both rear parking brake assemblies even though only one had failed. The other was in very poor condition. While I had what amounted to almost the entire rear end apart and both axles pulled, went ahead and replaced brakes/rotors and the wheel bearings + seals. Not a difficult job at all. All buttoned up and like new. Note to self: Store gear oil in warm house if the weather is cold. Pumping 75/140 gear oil in below 30 degree temperatures sucks. You northern folks can have a have laugh at the southerner for that one.

To anyone considering replacing their rear wheel bearings and seals - don't be intimidated when it comes to pulling the rear axles. If you can change oil or transmission fluid, you can do this. It's simple, and you will save a ton of $$$. Spend the money on the right tools and the job will go smoothly.

The one item that gave me a GIANT fit on both wheels was removing the parking brake cable from the assembly. Whoever designed that spring & clip arrangement that holds the cable to the assembly needs their head examined. I'm sure there's a special tool just for it...

Next up - front end CV/Axle & hub replacement. We're still on the original axles and hubs. Got a leaky shock and one axle is starting the dreaded click. Boots are good, I think it's just wore out. Hey, 200K miles, I might as well do everything and get her ready for the next 200K miles. :)
Use a hose clamp on the parking brake clips. Works slick as ****.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye