What have they done to stop the rot???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vintage IRA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Seriously thinking about buying a Long horn or Limited but still have a bad taste in my mouth from my last Ram. Quarters and tail gate rotted pretty quick! Have they done anything to fix this or is the new one going to do like previus generations?? Love the interior just don't want to hate the exterior!!!!

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Outer body rust through laws were changed by President Bush II and now they rust faster.
Accept it or get the law changed.
Too many people were keeping their vehicles for 10yrs PLUS.

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When you say "pretty quick", what does that mean? 30 days? 6 months? 1 year? Etc.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I live in a rust belt here and no issues. If you look after your vehicle and wash and protect it, you'll have no issue with rust.

Coop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Seriously thinking about buying a Long horn or Limited but still have a bad taste in my mouth from my last Ram. Quarters and tail gate rotted pretty quick! Have they done anything to fix this or is the new one going to do like previus generations?? Love the interior just don't want to hate the exterior!!!!

What was your last Ram? 3rd Gen definitely had a problem specifically with the rear quarters where water would pool between the inner and outer panel, this was a design flaw. My 06 started to bubble and rust at the 3 or 4 year mark. My 2013 was rust free up to the day I traded it in last week. I live in an area where we have some pretty harsh winters with all kinds of products thrown on the road and we had some of our worst winters between 2013 and now when it comes to road conditions. Every 3rd gen you see in the area has the same rust pattern, unless it's been repaired. My 4th gen was fine, and I don't see rust on very many others around.

Hopefully the 5th gens are more along the lines of the 4th, but only time will tell. Keeping it clean in the winter helps a lot. I've got a car wash where I buy a monthly subscription, and run it through pretty much whenever I have a chance.

OP
OP
V

Vintage IRA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine was a 3rd gen. Good to hear your satisfied, maybe I'll roll the dice and get back in a Ram!!!