What in 2023 is going to be interesting? Going to need a new truck.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I like a dead pedal. I noticed the lack in the Gladiator.
We don't have one in the Ram's right now, at least not in my truck?

Not interested in diesel, poor choice for my use I think. Did you drive a ZR2? Man, maybe you're the guy that designed that seat for! I just instantly hated it. One thing I do absolutely love about my Ram is the seats.

I know I'm being picky, but I am a buy and drive forever kind of guy and would rather have exactly what I want tomorrow vs a 90% solution today.

Well when we spend that kind of money we're allowed to be picky!

I did not drive the ZR2, I'm not sure what trim it was, Elevation maybe? It just had cloth seats, kind of basic, and it was a canyon not a colorado. I think seat comfort varies by trim as well, in the Ram's too, they have different foam "part numbers" for cloth vs the cheaper leather vs the limited. I agree that my truck is super comfortable, it was one of the main attractions.

I'd mention that the inline 6 is supposed to be coming to the 2023 ram lineup but I'm pretty sure I know your answer to that: "not interested" lol.

OP
OP
Docwagon1776

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
We don't have one in the Ram's right now, at least not in my truck?

Well when we spend that kind of money we're allowed to be picky!

I did not drive the ZR2, I'm not sure what trim it was, Elevation maybe? It just had cloth seats, kind of basic, and it was a canyon not a colorado. I think seat comfort varies by trim as well, in the Ram's too, they have different foam "part numbers" for cloth vs the cheaper leather vs the limited. I agree that my truck is super comfortable, it was one of the main attractions.

I'd mention that the inline 6 is supposed to be coming to the 2023 ram lineup but I'm pretty sure I know your answer to that: "not interested" lol.

No, my car has one but not the truck. It's not a huge deal, but I'd rather have it than not. For mundane driving it's a complete non-issue. I use it primarily for backing up. I still back like I was trained in EVOC, foot on the dead pedal, arm behind passenger head rest, lift your butt off the seat and put your head in the center of the vehicle, go back. You get a much better view and don't have to tippy-toe. Same reason I can't get my head around the twirly knob shifter. Column mounts are the best mounts. :D

I honestly have nothing against the inline 6 as a concept. I just don't trust it be right in the 1st gen, or at least not enough to beta test it. I've been entirely satisifed with my hemi/6-speed/3.92 combo. It is quick for a truck. I expected the Raptor to knock my socks off as far as acceleration but it just didn't feel that much different than my truck *except* the ability to hook, which is fun but not all that useful. I'm much more interested in highway passing power, which both my Ram and the Raptor did well on but the Gladiator and Power Wagon just felt sluggish. I know, it's all what you're used to, but they left me wanting more.

I'm sure the upper trims have nicer interiors on the Colorado/Canyon trucks. The ZR2 just didn't do it for me. The refresh is coming, though, according to the link I posted so maybe I'll circle back to it. I'm trying to stay nice and patient until the "that's it!" moment comes.

CliffordK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
With the gas prices headed to a Galaxy Far Far Away... I'd seriously consider a full electric pickup for 2013 or 2014.

There are several that will be hitting the market in the next year or two.
Ford F150 Lightning Electric
GM Silverado Electric
Hummer Electric
Tesla Cybertruck Pickup
Rivian R1T

It will depend a bit on what your needs are. Range is being extended in all electric vehicles, but at a significant cost. Can you stop for a break every 300 miles or so of driving? Charge overnight? We need a better national charging grid!!! I think the Rivian is somewhat of a small pickup. Others seem to be full sized.

A lot of hybrid pickups and suvs have languished with performance, and only a moderate MPG boost. However, the Ford F150 hybrid is supposed to have some extraordinary electrical connectivity.

The Ford Maverick Hybrid is a small pickup, but rated at just over 40 MPG City (a little less in on the highway). Unfortunately the Maverick Hybrid seems rather limited with towing. A little better for the non-hybrid.

OP
OP
Docwagon1776

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
With the gas prices headed to a Galaxy Far Far Away... I'd seriously consider a full electric pickup for 2013 or 2014.

There are several that will be hitting the market in the next year or two.
Ford F150 Lightning Electric
GM Silverado Electric
Hummer Electric
Tesla Cybertruck Pickup
Rivian R1T

It will depend a bit on what your needs are. Range is being extended in all electric vehicles, but at a significant cost. Can you stop for a break every 300 miles or so of driving? Charge overnight? We need a better national charging grid!!! I think the Rivian is somewhat of a small pickup. Others seem to be full sized.

A lot of hybrid pickups and suvs have languished with performance, and only a moderate MPG boost. However, the Ford F150 hybrid is supposed to have some extraordinary electrical connectivity.

The Ford Maverick Hybrid is a small pickup, but rated at just over 40 MPG City (a little less in on the highway). Unfortunately the Maverick Hybrid seems rather limited with towing. A little better for the non-hybrid.

I am the exact opposite of who should consider a BEV. Low overall miles, but any given trip is long. My 2012 Ram has about 77,000 miles on it, and some years have been under 4k if it was a "fly to vacation" instad of "drive to vacation" year. I've driven multiple 16 hour days, and there is no way in hell I'm stopping every 300 miles. I always buy the biggest tank I can option. If I leave Atlanta I can be past Louisville before I need fuel. I can completely bypass buying gas in the high tax state of Illinois. I can do some of those long stretches out west where there is no gas station for 150+ miles and not be all antsy.

No, no way in hell I'd consider a BEV truck. I would consider a hybrid for an on road vehicle, but I don't want the rather significant weight penalty for an off roader.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Have you gone to your favorite Dealership to order a 2023 Ram 1500 DT , ( 5th Gen ) ?

according to

2023 Fleet Ordering is now OPEN for RAM 1500 DT models

Fleet ordering is what Government Agencies & Rental Car companies do to order their new fleet

it stands to reason, if they are taking Fleet Orders, they must be taking our factory orders

Production begins in September

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Everybody's favorite uncle got him a job. He's enlisting. We're waiting to see where he's stationed to see when he'll need a vehicle.
He will most likely go to A school after boot. Then he’ll be stationed on a ship . That means the vehicle will be parked near the salt water. Maybe new isn’t the way to go.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I disliked parking in the Navy Parking area, back in the 1960s, near the Navy Pier while i was going to be At Sea for 3 - 9 months at a time.

The Gate guard would check for a Navy ID, i don't recall if we even had to sign in.

We would pull our battery if it was less than 2 years old & put it in the trunk.

If someone else was coming back from overseas, they would connect up their battery & see if their battery worked, if it did not, they would try jump starting from someone elses battery.
If their battery was just SHOT, they would go from vehicle to vehicle & find a battery that would work.
They would put the completely dead battery in the donor vehicle.

That Gate Guard did not even look at the cars in the lot, they just watched the bodies on the Ladies that walked by on Broadway

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Google DONLEN Corporation
They order new vehicles for companies that order several vehicles at once
ie: 200 Ram 3/4 ton vehicles, such a State might order for their Parks & Recreation Dept.

After Donlen opens up, click on Resources

Find the vehicle that you are wondering about
Then look at the top of the chart

RAM2500 (DJ) / 3500 (D2/DD/DF) Pickup, Initial Order AcceptanceJul 2022

Then it will give the date that they expect Production to begin

none of this is written in stone

after all, it reads that the Gen 5 Ram 1500 ordering has begun a few weeks back

There used to be another Fleet Ordering Company that was similar, they closed their charts so the public was blocked from looking at it

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
This guy seems to know something about the 2023 Ram DT

As to any Ram 4th Gens, it will be a couple of months behind the DT

OP
OP
Docwagon1776

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
This guy seems to know something about the 2023 Ram DT

As to any Ram 4th Gens, it will be a couple of months behind the DT

Whatever info Ben Hardy gets is not worth the time it takes to get through a Ben Hardy video IMO.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
That may be correct

I still believe that some dealerships are taking Pre Orders for the 2023 Ram DT models
In 68 Days, Ram has to have a few Ram DT trucks at the Texas State Fair
The other truck builders will all be there

It is like an unwritten rule
They have to show off the newest trucks at Texas State Fair

Last edited:
OP
OP
Docwagon1776

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
That may be correct

I still believe that some dealerships are taking Pre Orders for the 2023 Ram DT models
In 68 Days, Ram has to have a few Ram DT trucks at the Texas State Fair
The other truck builders will all be there

It is like an unwritten rule
They have to show off the newest trucks at Texas State Fair

He may or may not be right, he's not a guy with any insider info. He just takes other sources and repeats them or shows up at a dealership and does a semi-informed talk about a vehicle. I just find him annoying because he *almost* knows enough to be useful but not quite and, like most YouTubers gaining a following, takes 10 minutes for 2 minutes of information. They have to stretch the content with blathering to help make the $. I'd generally rather read the information, but when I have to watch I tend to do it at 1.5x.

RJL1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you don't necessarily need a pickup have you considered a 4 door Jeep wrangler? I bought our 2010 JKUR new. It's our first and only Jeep to this point. Have just shy of 185,000 miles on her now. Mostly drama free except for normal age related worn out parts. Exhaust manifolds, rebuilt front end and wheel sensors. That's about it.

These things really are like toys for adults. Top off, doors off is absolutely awesome.

The 3.6 they put in the JL's now is a pretty good little engine. Just north of 300 HP or if you have the funds you can get a 6.4 in a new JLU.

As long as I'm able to take the doors and top off we'll have a Wrangler.

Just my 2 cents

OP
OP
Docwagon1776

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
If you don't necessarily need a pickup have you considered a 4 door Jeep wrangler? I bought our 2010 JKUR new. It's our first and only Jeep to this point. Have just shy of 185,000 miles on her now. Mostly drama free except for normal age related worn out parts. Exhaust manifolds, rebuilt front end and wheel sensors. That's about it.

These things really are like toys for adults. Top off, doors off is absolutely awesome.

The 3.6 they put in the JL's now is a pretty good little engine. Just north of 300 HP or if you have the funds you can get a 6.4 in a new JLU.

As long as I'm able to take the doors and top off we'll have a Wrangler.

Just my 2 cents

If I thought I could get by without a truck I'd order a Bronco Wildtrak and wait. I'd stab myself in the eye if I had to drive a Wrangler for 12-16 hours straight, but the Bronco was comfortable.

Tuxedomouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Sure, which is why I said I know it's a 2500. I've owned an F-250 Super Duty, I did not expect a 3/4 ton to ride like a Lincoln Towncar or even as nice as my 1500 Express, but I did expect it to be better than it was.
Ford uses notoriously cheap, garbage shocks. Most are Hitachi shocks that Ford pays about $6 a piece for. They'll get you off the lot, but Bilstein shocks fix the ride immensely for not too much $$. The shocks on the Tremor are better, but still not great.

OP
OP
Docwagon1776

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Ford uses notoriously cheap, garbage shocks. Most are Hitachi shocks that Ford pays about $6 a piece for. They'll get you off the lot, but Bilstein shocks fix the ride immensely for not too much $$. The shocks on the Tremor are better, but still not great.

I've never owned a Ford 1/2 ton and I don't think I'd even ridden in one since the late 90s. I test drove a Tremor and a couple different year Raptors. Tremor was pretty nice, and this coming model year you can spec it with the 5.0 as well as the 3.5EB. That 3.5EB feels very quick, not sure if I'd stick with it or go with the Coyote.

The Raptor was different. I don't know exactly what I was expecting, but it was both comfortable and reasonably quick but just different than how the Ram feels. I thought it would be faster, and it's no slouch, but you feel the weight of those big tires holding you back a bit. The 2018 and earlier is softer riding, the 2019 and up is more controlled feeling. It's big but not Power Wagon big. I came real close to driving a newer Power Wagon with the 8 speed and other upgrades, but it sold before I got to my days off. I honestly don't need anything that big, but I ought to at least see it.

2 more days and the new Colorado ZR2 specs are supposed to be announced. I don't have big hopes that GMC will wow me, but we'll see.

Tuxedomouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
2 more days and the new Colorado ZR2 specs are supposed to be announced. I don't have big hopes that GMC will wow me, but we'll see.
Hopefully it's quite a bit different than the outgoing model. I was at the GM tech center a few years ago to talk to some of the wiring engineers, and they hada hopped up Colorado in the lobby. I grabbed the handle to step in, and I hit my head on the A-pillar/roof. And I'm only 6'. I had to laugh, it's truly a little truck.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The Colorado is a refresh-redesign, not ground up. I believe they are using the same frame and platform, but lots of exterior, interior, and drivetrain changes.

I don't think we can expect much in terms of changes in size. We'll see! I'm looking forward to the release, they've been teasing this thing out for so many years now.