What in 2023 is going to be interesting? Going to need a new truck.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wanted33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
The Ford Ranger is a nice mid size truck. However, I'm selling mine to buy a new Ram 1500 if that tells you anything. :)

BTW, the new Dakota is suppose to launch sometime next year. It's kind of unknown what it will look like though. Good luck on finding the right truck for you. Also, you need to hug your wife, and tell her you "love her harder than a goat could butt a stump". That's a good woman to give you her blessings on buying a new truck.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Ford Ranger is a nice mid size truck. However, I'm selling mine to buy a new Ram 1500 if that tells you anything. :)

BTW, the new Dakota is suppose to launch sometime next year. It's kind of unknown what it will look like though. Good luck on finding the right truck for you. Also, you need to hug your wife, and tell her you "love her harder than a goat could butt a stump". That's a good woman to give you her blessings on buying a new truck.
^^^^^ DITTO !!! ^^^^^ If U do not talk to and tell yer betta half how she B, U may regret in future, cause life is short, just saying...

OP
OP
Docwagon1776

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I'd look at the Ranger Tremor or Tacoma TRDPro. It'll fit better in the city, as well as, trails when you hit the dirt. Unless you actually need a full size truck for the space, then I'd be looking at a Rebel or maybe a Raptor. The Raptor is a wide truck though lol.

The Ranger is a contender. Shame the Raptor isn't available in the US yet and I bet it's super difficult to get (like the Bronco) for several years once it does land. Rumor mill is July 3rd, 2023 for order banks to open.

I've never even sat in a Tacoma. May check one out.

I looked at an F-150 Raptor. It is a chunky boy but it was fun. Salesman was cool.
"I'm going to hit this pothole at about 80"
"No problem."

God help me, I found a Power Wagon to go look at. Speaking of chunky boys...

It's been about 6 years and well before my time with my Ram so maybe I can't go back at this point, but yes I did. I think it was the Denali trim, I didn't find it bad (at the time anyway), and certainly no worse than any other midsize interior.

I looked at a ZR2, probably different seats then the Denali. Literally hated it, and I know how to use 'literally'. I did not just dislike it, I actively hated it. I feel like maybe I should go back and set it on fire so nobody else has to go through what I went through. I'm a little ticked off just remembering it.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Everybody's favorite uncle got him a job. He's enlisting. We're waiting to see where he's stationed to see when he'll need a vehicle.
Which branch ? Congratulations. Sounds like you raised an outstanding young man.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The Ranger is a contender. Shame the Raptor isn't available in the US yet and I bet it's super difficult to get (like the Bronco) for several years once it does land. Rumor mill is July 3rd, 2023 for order banks to open.

I looked at an F-150 Raptor. It is a chunky boy but it was fun. Salesman was cool.
"No problem."

I looked at a ZR2, probably different seats then the Denali. Literally hated it, and I know how to use 'literally'. I did not just dislike it, I actively hated it. I feel like maybe I should go back and set it on fire so nobody else has to go through what I went through. I'm a little ticked off just remembering it.
I like the Ranger. One thing I would check out though. If it has an internal water pump, walk away. They are known to fail without warning and destroy the engine. Not sure if the 2.3 turbo is designed with internal water pump.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Docwagon1776

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
BTW, the new Dakota is suppose to launch sometime next year. It's kind of unknown what it will look like though.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
I don't think I want a TRX. My goal is something I can drive cross country and do moderate off roading once I get there. The ability to do something like Fins N Things but also park in downtown St. Louis. I think I'd get tired of feeding the TRX as well. WTF did they not put a bigger tank in something that gets such low fuel economy? The Raptor (which I know isn't nearly as fast, but is about the only competitor) gets roughly 50% better fuel economy and comes standard with a 36 gallon tank.

All that said, especially if I sold my Camaro I could swing one. There's some reasonable deals on ordering one. I ought to at least go drive a Power Wagon as well. I'm considering both full size and mid size trucks.
One Vote for the PW!!

Attachments

• A65261F5-FEC5-4FDF-8446-08D0DC8CEFD8.jpeg
    A65261F5-FEC5-4FDF-8446-08D0DC8CEFD8.jpeg
    96.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 9128B87E-2139-453A-AEE2-DFEC030F750E.jpeg
    9128B87E-2139-453A-AEE2-DFEC030F750E.jpeg
    205.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 26ADA940-C558-405C-9CA2-F45A2A4F1586.jpeg
    26ADA940-C558-405C-9CA2-F45A2A4F1586.jpeg
    243.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 95F089D3-3AB4-4F4D-B17D-69A93F995D61.jpeg
    95F089D3-3AB4-4F4D-B17D-69A93F995D61.jpeg
    145 KB · Views: 3

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Have have given 3 or maybe 4 cars to the kids, and grandkids over the years, when they where young and no money and I up graded, youngest Grand daughter is giving my 14 sport , red ,the eye, good luck with that , I am not buying a new one, but that new power endgate is interesting.
The tail gate is starting to get real heavy, but only 75km on my truck, BTW that car in the avatar went thru 3 generations.
Ford?, when hell freezes over, 1975 was O.K.

Last edited:

Moparman813

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you or anyone wants to order a New Ram 1500, send me a message. I am a sales manager at Ram dealership and will order you the truck you want to buy at invoice. You can fly in to TPA and we can pick you up at the airport, its 5 minutes away from the dealership once your new truck gets delivered.

OP
OP
Docwagon1776

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
If you or anyone wants to order a New Ram 1500, send me a message. I am a sales manager at Ram dealership and will order you the truck you want to buy at invoice. You can fly in to TPA and we can pick you up at the airport, its 5 minutes away from the dealership once your new truck gets delivered.

Thanks, but wouldn't be much of a deal for me. I'm fairly close to Gupton Motors who does 5% under invoice on orders and I wouldn't have to buy a plane ticket.

Moparman813

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, not a problem. Just figured I would offer help to order one. Have a great day

OP
OP
Docwagon1776

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
i like the new 1500 laramie. maybe give it a drive and see for yourself

Not a fan. I honestly prefer the 4th gen, but there's some key features I want for off roading that aren't available. Namely locking axles and the 360 camera system. If the Big Horn could get the 360 camera, I could do the Back Country for the aesthetics and functional upgrades, add sliders, do a small suspension upgrade and tires, and probably be set. But, unless they offer it in 2023, no camera option. That steps me up to the Rebel, which at the price they are selling for makes me question the value proposition if I still need to price in modifications. Better off in certified/late model used Raptor or Power Wagon at that price point.

I'm pretty sold on the camera since it will let me 'spot' for myself. Lockers can be added aftermarket, but at an expense that exceeds the factory cost. The Gladiator is pretty much in the sweet spot on paper but driving one I found it kind of underwhelming. I'm too used to bigger power now.

mudrockatc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All I can add to the above thoughts is that I have owned my 2022 Ram 3500 dually Cummins Laramie for about six months now, WOW what an incredible ride!!!!

thebuilderman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I've been reliably informed that my truck is going to be stolen next year. The suspect is my son and the accomplice is my wife. So I *may* have once said my son could have my truck when I bought something new. I was temporarily insane. I was drunk. I was sleep deprived. The sun was in my eyes. My medication wasn't properly regulated. It was my evil twin. All of these have fallen on deaf ears and I'm being "highly encouraged" by my wife to buy a new truck next year and pass the truck along. I haven't tried crying yet. Do you think I should try crying?

No idea WTF to buy. I could spend $80k, but would prefer to keep it closer to $60k. Preference for new, but would consider the right used truck. I've no brand loyalty but have a very strong preference for domestics. I would consider a Toyota, hypothetically, but am not sure I would actually buy one. Can't think of another foreign brand I'd consider.

I'm going to wait for the 2023 order banks to open and start playing with build n price more, I guess, and start doing test drives of candidates. I'm joking, but only kind of, when I say maybe I'll just offer to buy my truck back from my son...

I wonder if you'll actually be able to buy a Ranger Raptor or if it'll be another Bronco situation. I've not driven even test driven a new truck since the first year of the 5th gen Ram.
So definitely not a ford and if you’ve been driving a full size going to a plastic Toyota will be tough.
my suggestion is RAM! If you want the best deal in the country call Rene with Mark Dodge in Louisiana. 5% under invoice and honest. I live in Colorado and got my truck from them and it was the easiest best car buying experience in my life.
Ty

chows

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have been a chevy freak for 50 years. bought a 5th gen. in dec. beats the hell out a chevy ride. Can't believe the power. Ordered another one two months ago with a sunroof for the wife. She's even paying the difference!!!!!

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7

"No problem."

The Silverado ZR2 is brand spanking new, advertised all over, U not like??????? R not any here in Central TX to even look at

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been a chevy freak for 50 years. bought a 5th gen. in dec. beats the hell out a chevy ride. Can't believe the power. Ordered another one two months ago with a sunroof for the wife. She's even paying the difference!!!!!
Keep an eye on dat sunroof, they sometimes not like to stay leak proof, just saying.