What inspired you to buy a RAM truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Connie Mack

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Diesel
I have had 2 Ford power strokes 7.3, each of them had water/fuel separator problems an I didn't need the highway rear end, now I have had 2 more Dodges 5.9 an neither one ever had the water separator light come on. Here is my 03 Dodge Diesel now with a flat black matt paint job with Alligator seat covers.

Attachments

• 20201223_093641 (1).jpg
    20201223_093641 (1).jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210925_095231.jpg
    20210925_095231.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 3

Jim Carelas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 L V6
What was the reason you purchased a RAM truck?

For me, I have to give a little background. In November, I was in a motorcycle crash that nearly took my life. After two months of hospital stays and rehab, I’m home but still recovering and learning how to walk again. When they woke me up the day after the accident, I looked at my lady and said, can I buy my dream truck now? :)

I’ve always dreamed of the truck I ordered. But that dream started as a young man when RAM changed their design, and the truck featured in the movie Twister is what sealed my deal but I think gives most guys the visual of what generation did it for me. Thanks in advance for sharing your story. While I wait for my truck and wait to recover to drive it I need some cool inspiration to help the time pass. Thanks guys and gals. Here is the rendering of my truck when it arrives. A RAM 2500 Night Edition. View attachment 488304
My Son has a 2015 Ram and I liked how it rode, sound, looked. So we bought a 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn 4x4 Crew Cab V6. I also liked that the 2019 had a Flat floor with the Crew Cab giving our large Doberman lots of room to himself with the seats up. It was the only truck that had a flat floor, at least that we found. We checked all the trucks at a car show and nothing had the flat floor but Ram. So with the wife and I in front our Buddy has all the comforts of home. I bought it used in 2020 with only 11,000 miles and at a good price. $5,000 less than anything else available. It has so many comforts, drives so nice, sits up above traffic for a nice safe drive, the wife loves all the extras. FYI, notice the 25 lb. magnet gun holder I recently installed. So convenient for handy access. Just in case...

Attachments

• Ram Bed n Side.jpg
    Ram Bed n Side.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 8
  • Ram Rightside.jpg
    Ram Rightside.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Gun Magnet.jpg
    Gun Magnet.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 9

Tracy in IL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
My Dakota was still running strong at 19 yrs old and 216,000 miles when I sold it. It was rusting away, but that's partly due to the salty winter roads in northern Illinois. I wanted a new truck before I retired, so a 2017 1500 was my choice.

Old Teacher

Reaction score
Ram Year
We had a similar situation as the author. In 2014, 500 miles from home in a 2006 1500, we were headed to Michigan and Canada for vacation. Rained hard that morning when we left the hotel, didn't realize the ramp was covered in grey mud from the day before when vegetation was moved across the ramp.
We're from NC, have red mud here. Got on the ramp, on the interstate, fish-tailed, (truck never did that before) spun around backwards. Was hit head-on by a tractor trailer. Our truck saved our lives. Yes, it was torn up, both of us with multiple injuries, but we survived. Rescue was there quickly, thank God for Bowling Green, Ohio fire & rescue.
My husband was pinned in, had to cut him out. I got out, walked to the ambulance not realizing how bad my injuries were. Spent a week in a trauma hospital. Surgeries (both), 40 days for him in a rehab center, then months of physical therapy (both). We are alive, the trooper told me in the hospital we both should have died!
My husband, still using a walker, insisted we get another Ram 1500, and we did, a 2014. Neither one of us could get in it, the dealer delivered it to our house.
We are doing well, all things considered. We thank Ilderton Dodge in High Point, for their help through this. They are still our "go to"dealer.

randyr6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
In 200 I needed a new truck. I had a Fix Or Repair Daily with 85,000 miles and I just didn't trust it anymore. I looked on the Ford lot and felt attacked by the pushy tactics from the salesman so I left. Went to Chevy (which I didn't like) to see what trucks now look like and what amenities they have. I didn't like the style of their trucks, for that matter I didn't care for the look of Ford either. The next dealer was the Dodge dealer and I saw salesmen but wasn't attacked so I looked around a bit, when I got inside the vehicle is when "a" salesman came over. Then it happened, right around the corner, the sun was shinning on something dropped from the heavens, a brown 2500, crew cab with 8 foot bed and a Cummins diesel. It looked aggressive, big and just what I was looking for and didn't know it. I drove a truck (for about 15 years prior) for my job and loved Cummins. I haven't looked back since and am on my 4th Ram.

MTGranite

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI eTorque
I thought I would put a female perspective in here. My 2021 RAM 1500 Laramie is not my first truck, but it will probably be my last. In my youth I owned a 1996 Custom 3/4 ton Dodge pickup. It had headers & glasspacks. I had an eleven 1/2 foot Dreamer camper on it towed a trailer with multiple pleasure & racing dirt bikes. (Friends owned & I worked at their motorcycle dealership). I’ve also owned a couple of small pickups in the ‘80s.

Then came life changes that sidelined me due to injuries & such. I’ve been driving SUVs for the past 20+ years. But I’ve been wanting to be back in a big pickup as long as I remember. I kept hauling plants and such for clients in my SUV. Hubby said I really needed to get a truck again.

Once again life changed. I was finally in a position to purchase a new pickup. My first love was that 3/4 Custom. I remember climbing into the engine compartment to fix things and guys just watching. Then saying they would have offered to help but didn’t want to offend me (5’10” blonde former model at the time) I’ve driven other pickups in my work including 24’ flatbeds.

I chose the RAM 1500 as it met all my needs & the reliability I wanted. The Laramie because of the interior amenities. Of course I’ve added a couple of items, grille guard because of all the critters around me & running boards as I’m getting a bit older. In my youth I would have gone for a TRX lifted & blacked out. Being older, figure I should show my more refined side a bit.

My slogan is “Confident women drive RAM trucks”

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
I was getting ready to retire and I was driving a Cobalt, which was actually a great car and paid for itself on fuel savings over 88k miles.
I didn't really even consider Chevrolet. I looked at the Ford short cab first and I really didn't like the interior at all, or the price. I decided to look at the Ram dealer and they had a red RCSB with the V6, towing package and nothing else that I didn't want. Sticker was 26900, and I wanted a decent trade in for the Cobalt. I left for a couple of weeks and then I got the call. November 16 2013 I got the best truck ever made.

BaconBritches

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 Magnum V8
Well, to start this off I’m a senior in high school and even though I’ve managed to be able to work 6 days a week I don’t make much and am pretty much stuck with my current pay til I graduate. Like most of the other people who have commented here I was a Chevy guy. Growing up my dad had an 07 Duramax. About 8 months before I got my drivers license I bought an old 2003 2dr 4x4 blazer with 272,000 miles from my sister for $800. It served as a really great first car. I learned how to work on stuff and how to diagnose problems. There were plenty of problems. Haha! After two months of having my license and driving it another 3,000 miles the motor spun a bearing. When it was all said and done I got $800 out of the vehicle. Wasn’t worth fixing to me. Loved it but it was time to move on. I always loved classics and found an 86 bronco, but it didn’t work out. Made some bad decisions and lost a lot of money trying to get that bronco. So at the beginning of this year I found myself with $300 in my account and $1,500 cash set aside for a vehicle. Due to sickness and Christmas I didn’t work all of December so I was in a bad spot financially, but needed a vehicle still. Was driving my parents 06 escalade around and they were tiring of me having it for work which is fair. Since I’ve always really liked old Chevys I started looking for a Sierra or a Silverado or K1500 or even a C10. I quickly realized that people charge for Chevys. And all the Fords were kinda sketchy. So I started looking at Rams. Before my dad bought his Chevy he had a 97 4x4 extended cab Ram with the 360 V8. He had a few issues out of it and always complained about fuel economy with how much he was driving, but it was a solid truck and cheaper than the Chevys. So after a bit of looking and research I found a guy selling a 95 Ram 1500 single cab, regular bed, 2wd with the 5.2. The paint was peeling like usual, the interior was dingy and the dash was a bit rough, but the transmission, whole front end and rear differential had all been rebuilt recently as well as a decent amount of work done to the motor. 261,000 miles and a busted shock. He was asking $2,000. I convinced my dad to let me borrow $300 from him and I bought it the day I saw the ad on Facebook. I’ve had a few issues since buying it, but I drive it daily and it’s never left me stranded. A 27 year old truck is gonna have its quirks. Love the truck. So in short, I bought it because it was a good option for the money. Now I straight up like Rams better than Chevys. Never thought I’d say that.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I bought my '19 ram truck because I had bought a new '17 GMC sierra SLT 4x4 ccsb with 6 speed tranny and 3.42 rear end and it would just barely pull our 28' 6000# travel trailer. just for grins I test drove one of the first '19 ram 1500's in my area and it drove great. handled like a sports car compared to the gmc which was a very nice truck so I bought it. everything about the ram was better..sound system..handling..performance..brakes...interior. and with the 8 speed tranny with 5.0 first gear and 3.92 rear end it pulls my trailer night and day better. the only reason I would trade it is to get a similar 2500 gasser.

Attachments

• 20210911_105304.jpg
    20210911_105304.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 2

Summit1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
While not loyal to any brand of anything (including vehicles), I needed a truck to tow a four ton (loaded, and feet don't matter but pounds do) travel trailer. I considered GMC and Ram, having heard good things about both, but decided on a Ram Laramie 2500 (crew cab/standard box) with CTD. There were two on the lot... a white Longhorn with all the "cowboy" trim, and a Black Forest (aka, Mallard Drake Head) Green Laramie. Both were otherwise equpiied with the same driveline; the Laramie was fairly well loaded. I drove both, decided on the Laramie, and have not regretted it for a moment. I have since traded the TT for a 5th Wheel that weighs ~50% more than the TT; this truck still tows and handles the 5th Wheel very well. If I were to trade, it would likely be for a 3500 (also a Ram, but open to others) with the same equipment and options.

Why did I choose the Ram over the GMC? Much of it boiled down to excellent dealerships for both brands, but the Ram interior is slightly more comfortable. Also, there were some simple differences (i.e., why did GM put the DEF filler under the hood near the firewall?). The GM has one fuel filter and the Ram has two... better fuel protection but double the cost when changing them.

Elvira

Reaction score
It was hands down once i seen the 4th gen trucks...the smooth body lines, fierce front ends, stout tails on them. Then I opened the door, an unmatched interior, comfort and sporty all in one. Once i started that hemi, I smiled and was glad to reach that point in my life.

ashman155

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My very first truck was a Dodge W50 as a field operator. great little truck but it did not do so great for the roads that where terrible. Went to a D150, 318 with a four speed tranny, then a Dodge Dakota V6 auto. Then I bought a 2500 Cummins diesel 6 speed great truck, 2 mega cabs diesel 1 tons, one was almost a right off from a person roaring down the middle of the street cranked my wheels to the right but still got it good. Had to get rid of the 2nd diesel as wife got sick of the smell of diesel from a job she use to do, Last two are gas jobs all 2500 5.7's CC pretty good towed a 30 ft TT to Alaska and back. went to Vancouver Island with it and TT. Still got the 2500 5.7 Hemi 2018 wife calls me Mario Andretti of the RV world. LOL.

keisur

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I totalled my 2013 F150 and was shocked that Ford had priced the new ones at way above what a reasonable price should be. Hence, downgraded to this 2020 RAM Long Horn.

OP
OP
KoboldTaco

KoboldTaco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Father-in-law retired from MOPAR. Part of his retirement package was he, wife, and kids would be able to buy MOPAR at what the dealer actually pays the manufacturer. Not what they call invoice. We had a special number to call and a special authorization number given to us. The manufacturer compensated the dealer who handled the deal.

Some vehicles such as the Hellcat were excluded.

However, he and my mother-in-law have both passed away so no more super good deals.
Sorry for the loss in your family. When I read special number and code, it reminded me of that number in Kingsman. :D

OP
OP
KoboldTaco

KoboldTaco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
I have had 2 Ford power strokes 7.3, each of them had water/fuel separator problems an I didn't need the highway rear end, now I have had 2 more Dodges 5.9 an neither one ever had the water separator light come on. Here is my 03 Dodge Diesel now with a flat black matt paint job with Alligator seat covers.
I like the matt black. I was describing to a friend what my truck will look like and he said, oh you mean primer! LOL

OP
OP
KoboldTaco

KoboldTaco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
My Son has a 2015 Ram and I liked how it rode, sound, looked. So we bought a 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn 4x4 Crew Cab V6. I also liked that the 2019 had a Flat floor with the Crew Cab giving our large Doberman lots of room to himself with the seats up. It was the only truck that had a flat floor, at least that we found. We checked all the trucks at a car show and nothing had the flat floor but Ram. So with the wife and I in front our Buddy has all the comforts of home. I bought it used in 2020 with only 11,000 miles and at a good price. $5,000 less than anything else available. It has so many comforts, drives so nice, sits up above traffic for a nice safe drive, the wife loves all the extras. FYI, notice the 25 lb. magnet gun holder I recently installed. So convenient for handy access. Just in case...
Well thought out for personal protection! I like it when people think about what they want to do, plant it, then execute. It can qualify as stock IMHO.

OP
OP
KoboldTaco

KoboldTaco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
We had a similar situation as the author. In 2014, 500 miles from home in a 2006 1500, we were headed to Michigan and Canada for vacation. Rained hard that morning when we left the hotel, didn't realize the ramp was covered in grey mud from the day before when vegetation was moved across the ramp.
We're from NC, have red mud here. Got on the ramp, on the interstate, fish-tailed, (truck never did that before) spun around backwards. Was hit head-on by a tractor trailer. Our truck saved our lives. Yes, it was torn up, both of us with multiple injuries, but we survived. Rescue was there quickly, thank God for Bowling Green, Ohio fire & rescue.
My husband was pinned in, had to cut him out. I got out, walked to the ambulance not realizing how bad my injuries were. Spent a week in a trauma hospital. Surgeries (both), 40 days for him in a rehab center, then months of physical therapy (both). We are alive, the trooper told me in the hospital we both should have died!
My husband, still using a walker, insisted we get another Ram 1500, and we did, a 2014. Neither one of us could get in it, the dealer delivered it to our house.
We are doing well, all things considered. We thank Ilderton Dodge in High Point, for their help through this. They are still our "go to"dealer.
Wow - I am glad you survived and it speaks to another reason I want a RAM. I do not want to be on the bottom of the accident ever again. If I had a buck for each time I heard you should be dead I think I could retire. I also survived against all odds.