What is the correct weight oil???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just bought a 2019 Ram classics with the 5.7 Hemi. This is the nicest truck I’ve ever owned with all the bells and whistles, rides beautiful and has good power. I’ve been reading all the threads on oil viscosity selection and I’m leaning toward full synthetic 5w30 (Royal Purple). My truck didn’t come with an owners manual so I went online. The 2021 owners manual make absolutely no reference to a specific viscosity. In fact, I guess I can use 10w30 as long as it meets MS 6395 specs.

My son lost his cam and lifters at 106,000 miles and always used 5w20 conventional oil.

So, I am more confused. Anyway, below it directly out of the 2021 owners manual:

“ENGINE OIL — GAS ENGINE
Engine Oil Selection — Gasoline Engine
For best performance and maximum protection under all types of operating conditions, FCA only recommends engine oils that are API Certified and meet the requirements of FCA Material Standard MS-6395.
NOTE:
Hemi engines (5.7L) at times can tick right after startup and then quiet down after approxi- mately 30 seconds. This is normal and will not harm the engine. This characteristic can be caused by short drive cycles. For example, if the vehicle is started then shut off after driving a short distance. Upon restarting, you may experi- ence a ticking sound. Other causes could be if the vehicle is unused for an extended period of time, incorrect oil, extended oil changes or extended idling. If the engine continues to tick or if the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) comes on, see the nearest authorized dealer.
American Petroleum Institute (API) Engine Oil Identification Symbol
This symbol means that the oil has been certified by the American Petroleum Institute (API). The manufacturer only recommends API Certified engine oils.
This symbol certifies 0W-20, 5W-20, 0W-30, 5W-30 and 10W-30 engine oils.”

Comments??????

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Not sure where you got the manual but I just googled it and pulled it up. Spelled out right in there.

"
Engine Oil Viscosity (SAE Grade) — 5.7L Engine
Mopar SAE 5W-20 engine oil approved to FCA Material
Standard MS-6395 such as Pennzoil, Shell Helix or equivalent
is recommended for all operating temperatures. This
engine oil improves low temperature starting and vehicle
fuel economy."

OP
OP
zogg

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess I got it from the same place that you did….googled it. I did use the manual from the 2021 Ram, thinking it would be the most current.

I did just google the 2019 manual and it says exactly what you listed.

The manual says “recommended “ but not “required”. Does that make a difference??

Obviously, with a large volume of cam and lifters failures noted in this forum, I’m trying to maintain the truck as long as possible. Hence, I’m confused!!! Ugh!!!!!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I guess I got it from the same place that you did….googled it. I did use the manual from the 2021 Ram, thinking it would be the most current.

The manual says “recommended “ but not “required”. Does that make a difference??

Obviously, with a large volume of cam and lifters failures noted in this forum, I’m trying to maintain the truck as long as possible. Hence, I’m confused!!! Ugh!!!!!
Read the note at the bottom. 5W-30 can be used in your 5.7. The later manuals removed this note supposedly because of the government nannies,as the trucks wouldn't meet their EPA claims with 5W-30.You'll also notice nowhere do they mention 5W-20 is best for engine longevity,and you can be damn sure if FCA thought 5W-20 was best for engine longevity,they'd be mentioning it.There's better oils out there for your 5.7 then Royal Purple,do a little research on here.

Attachments

• IMG_3931 (2).JPG
    IMG_3931 (2).JPG
    196.2 KB · Views: 81

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Look into filters as well, your royal purple makes the best one 20-820, is a clone with amsoil ea filters, non better out there. Look at the oil filter thread here for details.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After the heat death of the universe, when every sub-atomic particle has spread out so far that they are all 0.00000000000000001 degrees above absolute zero and beyond the causality event horizon from each other, somehow people are still gonna be arguing over what oil to use.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

The benefit of Hemi tick is that it is a warning sign, if you get it then you follow the research on the board and develop a lubrication strategy. If not, you can still get a used oil analysis and see if there is any hint if wear, and then you can then adjust how you lubricate your ram. Absent those undesirable early warning system results, just enjoy your truck most don't go down this road. It still is a good idea to run an oil with moly. Is it a brand new 19, or a used one?

Never mind Kurek, he gets depressed around the holidays, and on tuedays, and any day ending in a Y.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I recently got my 2019 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 liter Hemi. I'm going to install AMSOIL Signature Series 5W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil. I'll let you know how it goes.

Disclaimer: I'm an AMSOIL dealer.
top choice, carries hemi spec and tons of moly, add your ea filter, perfect choice for a well running hemi.

OP
OP
zogg

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Look into filters as well, your royal purple makes the best one 20-820, is a clone with amsoil ea filters, non better out there. Look at the oil filter thread here for details.
I fully intend to use a royal purple oil filter. Have some ordered.

Gerald Sheppard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just bought a 2019 Ram classics with the 5.7 Hemi. This is the nicest truck I’ve ever owned with all the bells and whistles, rides beautiful and has good power. I’ve been reading all the threads on oil viscosity selection and I’m leaning toward full synthetic 5w30 (Royal Purple). My truck didn’t come with an owners manual so I went online. The 2021 owners manual make absolutely no reference to a specific viscosity. In fact, I guess I can use 10w30 as long as it meets MS 6395 specs.

My son lost his cam and lifters at 106,000 miles and always used 5w20 conventional oil.

So, I am more confused. Anyway, below it directly out of the 2021 owners manual:

“ENGINE OIL — GAS ENGINE
Engine Oil Selection — Gasoline Engine
For best performance and maximum protection under all types of operating conditions, FCA only recommends engine oils that are API Certified and meet the requirements of FCA Material Standard MS-6395.
NOTE:
Hemi engines (5.7L) at times can tick right after startup and then quiet down after approxi- mately 30 seconds. This is normal and will not harm the engine. This characteristic can be caused by short drive cycles. For example, if the vehicle is started then shut off after driving a short distance. Upon restarting, you may experi- ence a ticking sound. Other causes could be if the vehicle is unused for an extended period of time, incorrect oil, extended oil changes or extended idling. If the engine continues to tick or if the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) comes on, see the nearest authorized dealer.
American Petroleum Institute (API) Engine Oil Identification Symbol
This symbol means that the oil has been certified by the American Petroleum Institute (API). The manufacturer only recommends API Certified engine oils.
This symbol certifies 0W-20, 5W-20, 0W-30, 5W-30 and 10W-30 engine oils.”

Comments??????

Gerald Sheppard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought an 08 Hemi Ram from Copart over 3 years ago with 89k and some cosmetic front damage. On startup, it would tick 2-3 times and then be quiet. No idea on oil type, age, etc. I changed to Amsoil 5-20 with a premium filter and the Hemi is dead quiet, never made any sort of tick. A lot of people recommend Torco and some additive, from my experience give Amsoil a try.

JOHN NIGHTINGALE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
The oil needs the best filtration. Things have changed. Look at Dieselcraft oil centrifuges they remove solids from the oil where a filter only stops the soot from circulating. Filters fill up and are purchased again and again. Centrifuges are cleanable.OC25 on Dodge.jpg

Attachments

• Copy of Fed Ex Soot HR_1.jpeg
    Copy of Fed Ex Soot HR_1.jpeg
    114.7 KB · Views: 12

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
Read the note at the bottom. 5W-30 can be used in your 5.7. The later manuals removed this note supposedly because of the government nannies,as the trucks wouldn't meet their EPA claims with 5W-30.You'll also notice nowhere do they mention 5W-20 is best for engine longevity,and you can be damn sure if FCA thought 5W-20 was best for engine longevity,they'd be mentioning it.There's better oils out there for your 5.7 then Royal Purple,do a little research on here.
any idea how long you can use your oil if not driving truck ! been sick all year well need someday day to drive all over again I m on oxygen and a walker but getting better fondly ! change dec 20 1,000 miles on it looks dark but not bad at all just warm it up once a week few minnits , help the battery .

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You can have gently used oil last for years in the sump with 1,000 miles on it. Just depends on how it retains tbn, and it is very likely the tAN levels aren't high enough to eat TBN at 1,000 miles. Low viscosity are extremely stable, so they wont be thinning or thickening, you are good. I was even on a two year interval with 5k a year and uoa's came back showing I could even for to 3 years on that. You get the covid?

OP
OP
zogg

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve been using Royal Purple for a number of years and never had any issues.

I have a large stash that I bought on sale that has both 5w20 and 5w30.

I’m leaning towards the 5w30 due to all of the horrific stories about cam and lifter failure!

Any suggestions???

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I’ve been using Royal Purple for a number of years and never had any issues.

I have a large stash that I bought on sale that has both 5w20 and 5w30.

I’m leaning towards the 5w30 due to all of the horrific stories about cam and lifter failure!

Any suggestions???

5W-30 is fine for Southern IL. That's what I run in my 6.4L Hemi north of Minneapolis St. Paul, MN. I switch to 0W-30 in winter (in a couple weeks).

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Maintenance Schedule

get your owners manual, 600 plus pages

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
changing the 2016 5.7 Tomorrow been using Royal Purple 5-20 and I’ve got to comment I only hear lifter tick when I’m half a quart low and or about three months in.
I believe it is from the MDS running higher RPM’s I only use 93 octane minimum nothing above 10% Ethanol
About every 4th gas refuel I add Royal Purple MAX Fuel Atomizer

Attachments

• B5BE450C-C2F4-4F76-B255-77341230CC26.jpeg
    B5BE450C-C2F4-4F76-B255-77341230CC26.jpeg
    192.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited: