What is the real life MPG for the 5.7 Rebel 4x4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Down the Tubes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
My wife traded her 2016 2500 diesel 4x4 long bed in on a 2022 Rebel 4x4 with the 3.0L Ecodiesel engine a few days ago.
She forgot her wallet at the dealer so we had to go back yesterday. They are about 100 miles away from us.
On the way back, doing 65-70 on two lane highways in the sleet, she got 30.5 MPG!

While we were at the dealer's, I test drove a 2022 Rebel with the 5.7L gas engine.
I really like my wife's Ecodiesel, but would probably miss the immediacy of a gas engine.

What are you guys getting MPG wise with the 5.7L?
When I test drove it on the freeway, I was only getting an average of 10.5, but I was trying to see what it would do performance wise and not paying attention to mileage.

I have a 2018 Power Wagon that is my daily driver right now.
I'm thinking about making that our camping/overland vehicle and getting something more fuel efficient for a daily driver.

The other thing that I liked about the 5.7 over the 3.0 is that the towing capacity is a bit higher.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
On mine, 2021, Rebel, it says around 17-18.
I drive 'fast' , mostly on highway and off-road.
I don't do much city driving. Depends on your location, how you drive, how much city/highway/off-road
and other factors.

I don't pay too much attention to it. Never expected to get good results for V8 and how I drive.
My car, I can put $50 and drive back and forth to work for week, still have gas on weekend.
My truck, it cost $100 , every 2 1/2 days, driving back and forth to work. On the weekend, I'm adding extra $50-$60 to off-road it.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Depends on your location, how you drive, how much city/highway/off-road
and other factors.
^^^ this
your not going to get near the fuel economy of the EcoDiesel, especially not while towing. What you loose out on is the "Fun Pedal" of the Hemi

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On mine, 2021, Rebel, it says around 17-18.
I drive 'fast' , mostly on highway and off-road.
I don't do much city driving. Depends on your location, how you drive, how much city/highway/off-road
and other factors.

I don't pay too much attention to it. Never expected to get good results for V8 and how I drive.
My car, I can put $50 and drive back and forth to work for week, still have gas on weekend.
My truck, it cost $100 , every 2 1/2 days, driving back and forth to work. On the weekend, I'm adding extra $50-$60 to off-road it.
Since you are from Canada, is this mpg?

OP
OP
D

Down the Tubes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
So.....I liked my wife's Rebel so much that I traded our old Nissan Armada for one yesterday.....
She got the Eco-Diesel and gets around 30 MPG on the highway.

They didn't have anymore Eco-Diesels. I wanted the "Fun Pedal," anyway!
I got the 5.7 without E-Tourque. No stopping and starting at every stop sign........

Last night, on the drive home from Dave Smith Dodge, top speed was 60 for a few minutes.
We had to drive back in 4 High in a snow storm over some mountain passes.
Bumper to bumper traffic in the city for about 35 minutes.
I still got 17.9 MPG.
I would have gotten 10 MPG in my Power Wagon.

RB43TD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just got my 2022 Rebel 5.7 Hemi last Saturday and it has about 250 miles on it now so it's definitely not broken in yet. But here are my results from a little drive I did on lunch. I drove about 20 miles roundtrip. Same route there as coming back and about 2/3 was highway and 1/3 city with stop lights. On the highway I set the cruise at 65. On the first 10 miles I averaged 13.4 mpg overall. The drive back was 16.5 overall. Normal driving conditions (not windy/wet) and the temp was about 43 degrees and I just drove normal (not slow, not giving it a lot of gas). Basically an overall average of about 15. Not real great. Hoping it improves some after the break in period.

I should say though that I knew going in it wasn't going to be great MPG so definitely not complaining. Just sharing my observation. I love my Rebel. :)

vermonster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have about 1300 miles, 60% highway at 75 mph and balance in town and up to the mountain. Lots of elevations changes, current average is 16.9mpg since new.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have about 1300 miles, 60% highway at 75 mph and balance in town and up to the mountain. Lots of elevations changes, current average is 16.9mpg since new.
From the lie-o-meter, or hand calculated?

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
My wife traded her 2016 2500 diesel 4x4 long bed in on a 2022 Rebel 4x4 with the 3.0L Ecodiesel engine a few days ago.
She forgot her wallet at the dealer so we had to go back yesterday. They are about 100 miles away from us.
On the way back, doing 65-70 on two lane highways in the sleet, she got 30.5 MPG!

While we were at the dealer's, I test drove a 2022 Rebel with the 5.7L gas engine.
I really like my wife's Ecodiesel, but would probably miss the immediacy of a gas engine.

What are you guys getting MPG wise with the 5.7L?
When I test drove it on the freeway, I was only getting an average of 10.5, but I was trying to see what it would do performance wise and not paying attention to mileage.

I have a 2018 Power Wagon that is my daily driver right now.
I'm thinking about making that our camping/overland vehicle and getting something more fuel efficient for a daily driver.

The other thing that I liked about the 5.7 over the 3.0 is that the towing capacity is a bit higher.

If you have to ask; you can not afford it.

Duffman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2021 5.7/no eTorque averaged 17.9 on nearly 3000 trip from MI to FL via MS. Averaged 75ish most of the time, with strong winds for half the trip.

I can get it up into the mod 18 mpg zoner when running 55-60 ish. Overall average is again 17.9ish. Worse than my 2017 Bighorn 5.7 which average 18.5ish, but it's (a) less aerodynamic and (b) has 3.91 rear end.

gt8684

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2022 Rebel 4x4 with etorque lie-o-meter says 17avg. real is 16.4avg I've noticed its always .6 difference. I just crossed the 7k miles range, I generally do 70mph, but I have noticed that even if I do 60 it says the same mpg. but did I mention, its fun, and sounds great, way way better than a twin turbo pos.

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What’s the 4x2 vs 4x4 rebel MPG difference with the 5.7?

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
I traded a 15 Eco-diesel for a 19 with the 5.7.
My Eco-diesel averaged 24 mpg in the summer and 22 mpg in the winter,
the best I ever saw a tank that averaged 29. Trips I seemed to average around 26 mpg,
I only run 5 over the limit on divided highways and around the limit on other highways
and very little city driving.
My 5.7 this winter was averaging 12-15 mpg , last summer it was 14-15 mpg.
I did did a two hour each way trip, over half was interstate at 70 mph the other half was mostly
rural highway and we ran 55-58 mph with maybe 15 miles of town driving each way.
My average for the trip was 15.5 mpg. Those numbers are from the truck when I have calculated it out
it is within 1/2 to 3/4 mpg in agreement, the Eco-diesel was just about spot on.

The 5.7 is faster and does have a nice exhaust tone to it when under load,
but I do miss the Eco-diesel. I just liked the way that motor pulled and drove.

Wanted33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Just another data point. 1245 Miles yesterday. 89 octane fuel, Aero mode, 19.5 mpg. Missouri to Arizona.

Now, that's what I expect from mine when it gets built. It's a bit difficult to get real world numbers, because everyone has different driving habits. For example my '20 Ford Ranger with the 2.3L turbo was getting chitty mpgs in town, but then I found it was all my fault. I was putting my foot in the turbo on every start from a stop. I learned, and it now does from 19-21 around town. As I've gotten more mature (re: old), I've found I'm not in a hurry to get anywhere, so I expect the 5.7L (after a little break-in) to do close enough to the posted mpgs I'll be quite happy.

Now, I'm sure the underlying question you have in the back of your mind is "why am I getting rid of the Ranger". Well I will say the little truck has been fine (but it rides like a two horse wagon around town). I also have a '19 Jeep Wrangler, and the wife's drives an '18 Mustang GT. We found ourselves wanting something that was more comfortable, has more room, and drives better. After a test drive in a Ram 1500 Laramie we were sold. So with todays used car market I'm selling the Ranger to Carvana for several thousand more than I bought it for, and I'll trade the Jeep for the Ram. As an added plus there will be less upkeep, insurance, and taxes to be paid. :)

Last edited: