What is this and why is it leaking oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shawn Burns

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For some of us, doing it ourselves is just not a practical option. The picture says it all keeping in mind that I don't have a heated place to work and the temperature yesterday morning was -4F. My strategy is to find a shop I trust and stick with them. Even for those of you with the skills and the time to fix things yourself, sooner or later you will need a pro at a shop. If you can't trust said shopwith an oil change, how can you trust them with anything else? My theory is I'll try them out with small stuff that I can check myself after to get an indication of how trustworthy they are. Finally, the only screwed up oil change i ever had was the first one I did myself and that was 43 years ago. Cran,Ed the filter down too tight causing it to leak.View attachment 514780
Our situations are different. I can see why you need to trust a shop. The photo is beautiful, BTW.

Bandit517

That Trials Guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep it was a loose filter. There was an obvious drip coming off the bottom of the filter and I was able to get about 1/3 of a turn with my hand.

I’m not mad at my shop, it has been 9 months since the oil was changed. I’m sure it just slightly vibrated a little loose over time.

I’m thankful for forums like this and the knowledgeable people on here. Thanks for all the help!
People make mistakes. Oily hands won't have the same grip as clean hands. I wouldn't slightly believe it vibrated loose. But I also wouldn't condemn someone for making a mistake.

On another note, to save from oil running all over the steering rack I (among other members) put an oil filter relocation kit on my truck which moves the filter to the frame rail. No leaks, easier to access, can visually see any leaking from the engine bay with the hood open.

20230108_104228.jpg

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
People make mistakes. Oily hands won't have the same grip as clean hands. I wouldn't slightly believe it vibrated loose. But I also wouldn't condemn someone for making a mistake.

On another note, to save from oil running all over the steering rack I (among other members) put an oil filter relocation kit on my truck which moves the filter to the frame rail. No leaks, easier to access, can visually see any leaking from the engine bay with the hood open.

View attachment 514854
I think you can switch out the nipple on your kit,to the older 3/4-16 nipple,and that opens up more options for bigger filters like the Royal Purple 30-8A style filters.

Attachments

• DSCN4954.JPG
    DSCN4954.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 8

Bandit517

That Trials Guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think you can switch out the nipple on your kit,to the older 3/4-16 nipple,and that opens up more options for bigger filters like the Royal Purple 30-8A style filters.
Yea it's possible. I haven't worried about doing it yet since I run the 899 Mopar filters which are larger than the 339 our trucks call for.