What is this called and is it safe to drive back to the dealership?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KoboldTaco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
I noticed
The same thing (ish) happened to a buddy of mine, except regarding tires, and it was on a Motorcycle!

He was at a motorcycle rally - the front tire was due (oops) as he didn't forecast the wear properly. It was changed; he took the bike, ripped up the twisty roads between here and Montana, and got home safe, thankfully.

Doing his post-ride inspection, he noticed the pinch bolts were loose, and there was no lugnut on the shaft!!!!! It had to be an angel looking out for him, as we both couldn't believe the shaft did not work itself out, especially considering the pinch bolts were never tightened after the service.

Hydrasport23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All Trusted Mechanics shops have a sign posted out in Public View

Blue Seal Program

ASE : Automotive Service Excellence

Repair Businesses

(Dealerships, Independent Repair Shops, Fleet Garages, etc.)
  • At least 75% of technicians performing diagnosis and repairs must be ASE Certified
  • Each area of service offered in the shop must be covered by at least one ASE Certified technician

Since they closed the Express Lane Service Area & moved everyone over to the Main Repair Area,
They no longer have that Blue Seal sign on the building
Is it because they repainted the building ?
OR ?
Or the techs got tired of paying for tests that didn't add a dime to their paychecks. That "blue Sign" is nothing but a statement that some of the shop's techs took tests and paid the fees for the tests. That program started decades ago by an independent company and by passing a few tests, the tech was considered "ASE" certified. Certified by a company that has little to do with the automotive industry. I was a certified master ASE tech for many years in all automotive, heavy truck and PM requirements. Then the company started adding tests to remain certified. They make money from each test. When a tech has to leave work early for several days, pay for dozens of tests out of pocket every couple of years, tests that use generic questions and answers, it begins to feel like a scam. It would seem that factory trained and factory certified techs would be more valuable to a dealership that those tested by a company that requires no brand specific qualifications. Training released by a factory is some of the best training available in the industry, but as with any trained professional, they can still make mistakes.

Jim S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
Drive that vehicle into a k rail on the highway then sue them for trying to kill you. **Just Kidding!!** Make them tow it back to shop and fix it!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
During a Oil Change at my local dealership, the Tech did not put the Engine Cover on my 2016 Ram.
Back then i did not check to see if the Oil Level was correct & there was no Damage to my vehicle before leaving the property.

I make it a point to check things now.

any way, i returned to the dealership a couple of days later, after i called them. i got it back all cleaned up.

Ramuser4ever

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Don't tow it! Make them haul it on a flatbed. Chances are they'd hook from the back as towed and that's even worse than driving it!

TC Retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ED
How the hell could they forget that, maybe the oil change kid is upgrading
I would not be surprised if they have tossed the cross member .
That was my question... You would think the Tech would have noticed that big hunk of
Steel laying around.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can see it now. The mechanic gets done with the truck and you take home. The mechanic goes back to the his toolbox and sees a large metal bar on his tool cart. "Hey what's that?. Ahh it don't need it!" Lol

TC Retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ED
I can see it now. The mechanic gets done with the truck and you take home. The mechanic goes back to the his toolbox and sees a large metal bar on his tool cart. "Hey what's that?. Ahh it don't need it!" Lol
"I can sell it for scrap. Stupid owner didn't tip me anyway..."

frankherche

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
The brass thing in your picture is a quick change valve oil drain plug. Open the valve and the oil comes out. No tools required.

Octane

Reaction score
A shop near me would tune up cars, put old sparkplugs in a bucket. When a car came in with a skip, and they didnt want a tuneup, the shop woukd replace the one or two fouled plugs with those used ones. Charge them new price for them and labor. And most of the time they were not the specified plugs either.
If they had been ase certified this would not have happened. Right? Lol

Last edited:

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Frankwhoa
Yea How about a UPDATE !

OP
OP
Frankwhoa

Frankwhoa

Reaction score
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Frankwhoa
Yea How about a UPDATE !
LOL - thanks for all the replies. Before I seen all of this, I drove the truck (slowly) back to my dealer the very next morning after a brief phone call. They reinstalled it within 5 mins. It was a short drive. All seems well now.

I understand the other concerns and you can never be too sure/safe but this truck is babied and I didn't want to wait days for them to come get it, days in the shop, etc. etc. Sometimes its best to pick your battles and yes, I've battled with these guys before on other vehicles. Besides this, they went above and beyond on this repair so I didn't want to ignore that over what was or wasn't a major issue. I see this dealership putting forth a concerted effort to improve (of whom I know the GM "well").... so the story continues, yes? LOL

Thanks again for the love and comradery.

Last edited:

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Glad to hear it worked out well. Also nice to hear that there is another dealership, that despite screwing up, it actually trying hard to get better. I am very lucky, have two very good Ram dealers close by. The Lexus dealer is absolutely excellent, decent prices, which surprises many and far and away the best dealership service standards of any make of car I have ever owned. I have dealt with 4 Lexus dealerships in 4 different cities, despite being 2 to 5 times as expensive, Mercedes and Bentley don't hold a candle to Lexus service standards.

If Lexus made a full size 2500, that is what I would be driving.

OP
OP
Frankwhoa

Frankwhoa

Reaction score
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Glad to hear it worked out well. Also nice to hear that there is another dealership, that despite screwing up, it actually trying hard to get better. I am very lucky, have two very good Ram dealers close by. The Lexus dealer is absolutely excellent, decent prices, which surprises many and far and away the best dealership service standards of any make of car I have ever owned. I have dealt with 4 Lexus dealerships in 4 different cities, despite being 2 to 5 times as expensive, Mercedes and Bentley don't hold a candle to Lexus service standards.

If Lexus made a full size 2500, that is what I would be driving.
I've heard good things about Lexus. The local BMW dealer was exceptional too. Miss that car.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks for the update
That’s a very dangerous slip up on their part
Should never left the shop

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
LOL - thanks for all the replies. Before I seen all of this, I drove the truck (slowly) back to my dealer the very next morning after a brief phone call. They reinstalled it within 5 mins. It was a short drive. All seems well now.

I understand the other concerns and you can never be too sure/safe but this truck is babied and I didn't want to wait days for them to come get it, days in the shop, etc. etc. Sometimes its best to pick your battles and yes, I've battled with these guys before on other vehicles. Besides this, they went above and beyond on this repair so I didn't want to ignore that over what was or wasn't a major issue. I see this dealership putting forth a concerted effort to improve (of whom I know the GM "well").... so the story continues, yes? LOL

Thanks again for the love and comradery.
Thanks for updating and all is well ! Glad the dealer treated you right !
So far mine has been good during warranty !
Now most of anything done Oil or what ever is a friends Local garage !
My down RAM went to dealer last week because a bunch of lights were on and in Limp mode
Tehy treated me good and IMO not overcharged on the parts! Shop rates suck lol but that is expected !

OP
OP
Frankwhoa

Frankwhoa

Reaction score
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the update
That’s a very dangerous slip up on their part
Should never left the shop
Do you really think there could be damage from it not being there? I know anything is possible but I'd like a tech or engineer to chime in

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Do you really think there could be damage from it not being there? I know anything is possible but I'd like a tech or engineer to chime in
I would keep a eye on how the truck tracks !
Does it drift one side or the other ?
Tires wearing OK or not