What is this tick?! replaced lifters and exhaust manifolds already

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

meltino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Please listen and let me know what you think it could be.
I've already replaced the lifters and exhaust manifolds.

Half of the lifters had about 1/4 inch play, so I was hoping that was the problem.
Two exhaust manifold bolts were broken, so there was definitely exhaust noise prior.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Please listen and let me know what you think it could be.
I've already replaced the lifters and exhaust manifolds.

Half of the lifters had about 1/4 inch play, so I was hoping that was the problem.
Two exhaust manifold bolts were broken, so there was definitely exhaust noise prior.

Get a mechanics stetescope and track it down.

It could be something simple like a lose heat shield.

kevkev

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
retorque your exhaust manifolds after 100 miles. Also the bolts going to your y pipe.

Octane

Reaction score
loose meaning play side-to-side on the valve tips?
Yes. Best I can hear from the video.Retorque your exhaust manifold bolts is a good idea after a few heat cycles.Was the engine warmed up in this video?

also thanks! i will retorque

Octane

Reaction score
How many miles put on engine since lifters were replaced?

OP
OP
meltino

meltino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How many miles put on engine since lifters were replaced?

0 miles, just replaced them, and it had no effect on the rattle :(

The original video i posted on this thread was recorded after a few minutes of warming up with the new lifters installed.

Here is a video I recorded a few days ago before replacing the lifters (a few minutes after a cold start):

Notice the tick starts about 16 seconds into the video.
And keep in mind, this video was recorded before I replaced the lifters.
The original video i posted on this thread was recorded after I replaced the lifters.

The sound hasn't changed.

Any other experiences with lateral play on rockers causing this? There was definitely lateral play on the valve tip end of the rockers, I noticed while installing lifters. I can't find any info online confirming this as a culprit for tick though. I'll get a stethoscope soon.

Last edited:

Octane

Reaction score
0 miles, just replaced them, and it had no effect on the rattle :(

The original video i posted on this thread was recorded after a few minutes of warming up with the new lifters installed.

Here is a video I recorded a few days ago before replacing the lifters (a few minutes after a cold start):

Notice the tick starts about 16 seconds into the video.
And keep in mind, this video was recorded before I replaced the lifters.
The original video i posted on this thread was recorded after I replaced the lifters.

The sound hasn't changed.

Any other experiences with lateral play on rockers causing this? There was definitely lateral play on the valve tip end of the rockers, I noticed while installing lifters. I can't find any info online confirming this as a culprit for tick though. I'll get a stethoscope soon.
I asked because you need to put some miles on it to break in the lifters,they will be noisy till they are run some and they should quiet down.And if its simply a manifold leak it should seal up when the engine warms up. New lifters have to be ran to get pumped up with oil and get quietened down is all.

Last edited:

Mntgoat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I experienced this 6 years ago.
First time.. A defective PCV. swapped it out it was fine.

Second: drivers side exhaust manifold bolt broke off. Soaked them all with wd40 for a day. Replaced the broken one (closest to the firewall) and torques the rest. Retorque all. As required