What is this whole Gen" thing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I think the Stellantis group decided to drop the word Dodge so the people who always wanted a Dodge but didn't because they were worried what their friends would think of them so they changed it to Ram only and make them think they was buying a different brand, seems to have worked!

Dodge was dropped prior to Stellantis and RAM became it's own brand so dealers could have a truck to sell with a franchise without having to carry Dodge cars. Lesser, but also important, was the issue of marketing and narrative building. Jeep has it's own narrative and history to build on, but the others needed to be manufactured or refreshed pretty badly.

On the dealership front, many Chrysler dealers wanted a truck to sell but didn't want to carry an extra line of sedans. Not every dealer is a CDJR franchise, especially smaller lots without the physical space. Existing Dodge dealerships were also often close enough to Chrysler dealerships that contractual issues prevented the Chrysler dealership from buying a Dodge franchise. Nothing prohibited either from buying a RAM franchise, though, since RAM didn't exist when the minimum distance contracts were written (when you buy a franchise, you get a guarantee there won't be another granted within so many miles of yours).

RAM and Jeep are much more profitable lines, especially pre-Dodge muscle car revival. Chrysler is an albatross, and one that got heavier as the minivan died. Once it was sacrificed to the SUV/crossover gods, Chrysler's franchise holders were not nearly as profitable as their corporate buddies with Dodge and Jeep franchises.

On the marketing front, it allowed more focused branding. Dodge was/is marketed as the performance brand, Chrysler the luxury oriented brand, etc.

Wulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A picture is worth a thousand words!

You forgot the picture for the 4.5 gens, but since they look exactly like the 4th gens, it is OK. ;p

For those of you confused by this, 4.5 = 1500 Classic. Or more exactly, 2019+ 4th Gens.

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yup, as I recall in '09, they split the truck division off as Ram but all the trucks through 12 still had the Dodge label on them. For the 13 refresh they stated putting Ram on everything.

If you hate the color of the interior, I painted mine to more match the truck. The silver kinda sucked.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Yep, my '12 has Dodge on it, my window sticker, my build sheet and on the dash. It will always be Dodge to me I don't care if they drop the name off of it. Guess I'll just stick with '12s and down if it's going to be an issue. I'll be through with the newer ones once they drop the Hemi anyway.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You forgot the picture for the 4.5 gens, but since they look exactly like the 4th gens, it is OK. ;p

For those of you confused by this, 4.5 = 1500 Classic. Or more exactly, 2019+ 4th Gens.

There is no 4.5 gen 1500. The 1500 "classic" still being sold new is a 4th gen.

The 4.5 gen refers to the 2500 which saw many updates (interior, exterior) but still uses the same cab, frame etc.

Biker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel
My 2012 says Dodge. I say "thank you Dodge" every time I unlock the door and the alarm sounds. Neighbors laugh at me when I say it.

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will say that I don't like the huge R A M on the tailgate. If I had a later model, that would have to come off.

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That looks good. It's on the side of mine too:

ram.jpg

What I don't care for:

ram tailgate.jpg

Just my opinion.