What kind of shop for custom wiring?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

helmdog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I want to add some custom wiring to my new Ram 5500. What type of shop would be the best use, e.g., Audio shop, dealer, repair shop, upfitter, etc?

For reference, here's what I'm looking to do:
* Add 400w inverter - I already have the inverter. I want it to turn on/off with one of the upfitter switches.
* Add an aux battery on bed (flatbed) to power winch and other bed accessories. While the battery will be isolated the truck must charge it, like house batteries in an RV.
* Winch will be setup with receiver hitch so it can go on front or rear hitch, so I wan't quick disconnects to the aux battery at both locations.
* Camera connection for camera on trailer that connects to the digital rear view mirror.

Also, if anyone has a recommended shop in the northeastern MD or central FL regions, I'm open to suggestions.
Thanks,
Joe

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Sounds like a job for an upfitter to me.

-K

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
You should go to an AUDIO Alarm & Stereo shop
Find a place that the guys with Hot Rods & Party Boats go to

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree with kad, find a an upfitter. I would stay away from alarm or audio shops. If you can find someone in your area that changes out emergency vehicle equipment would be another option. Whatever route you go, I would ask to look at some of their work prior to committing. I have seen way too many "hack" jobs from some places.. Good luck.

Phillyrube

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I want to add some custom wiring to my new Ram 5500. What type of shop would be the best use, e.g., Audio shop, dealer, repair shop, upfitter, etc?

For reference, here's what I'm looking to do:
* Add 400w inverter - I already have the inverter. I want it to turn on/off with one of the upfitter switches.
* Add an aux battery on bed (flatbed) to power winch and other bed accessories. While the battery will be isolated the truck must charge it, like house batteries in an RV.
* Winch will be setup with receiver hitch so it can go on front or rear hitch, so I wan't quick disconnects to the aux battery at both locations.
* Camera connection for camera on trailer that connects to the digital rear view mirror.

Also, if anyone has a recommended shop in the northeastern MD or central FL regions, I'm open to suggestions.
Thanks,
Joe

Phillyrube

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For central Florida try Audio Excellance in Oveido, Fl. They do police car upfitting. Also, REV Emergency Vehicles is near Winter Park, FL. They build srveral brands of ambulances and that sounds right up their alley.

OP
OP
H

helmdog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Thanks everyone.

Just for FYI, I reached out to a custom audio shop in northern DE. Without seeing the truck and job, they ball parked it with this:
"Our hourly wage is $105/hour and just firing a number out there this could take between 10-14 hours".

That tends to lean for me to do it myself, which I'm capable of, I'm just short on time these days.

Though I do imagine it could be cheaper when I'm down in FL.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963