What motor oil and oil filter do you use and why?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

big daddys house

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All right ladies and gentlemen, as some of you may know, (if you follow my YouTube channel) I had the dreadful hemi tick about 3 months ago. Since I had 103,000 mi on the engine, I decided to replace it with a Jasper rebuilt engine. So far so good. It's been a good decision for me.
I want zero issues with this engine and a good start would be putting the right oil and filter on it.
I have done some research on this and I'm leaning towards Redline full synthetic and a WIX filter.
So now that it's time for my first oil change, I'm asking you guys what you're running in your HEMI and why it's the best choice for you.
I appreciate any and all feedback I get.
Thank you
Adam
2014 5.7 HEMI (Jasper)

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Switched to royal purple 5w30 and wix filter last change. Reason because finally ran out of the dealer freebies and I wanted it to **** lol the tapping was annoying and it worked.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk all grammar errors brought you by fat fingers and auto correct.

Last edited:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I use Redline 5w30 and a Wix XP filter. Wix XP/Royal Purple/Mopar SRT/Fram Ultra/Amsoil EA are all great choices for filters.

If you have a warranty on your Jasper engine you may want to look at what that states for oil viscosity. Most likely it's the factory recommended 5w20. Any of the quality synthetics that contain a decent amount of moly will be good for your new Hemi[emoji106]

texan279

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
QSUD 5W-20 and Purolator filter. I tried several other combos including Valvoline, Royal Purple, Pennzoil. I've stuck with this combo because it keeps my engine the quietest and I felt somewhat of a lag with a couple of the other oils.

OP
OP
big daddys house

big daddys house

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use Redline 5w30 and a Wix XP filter. Wix XP/Royal Purple/Mopar SRT/Fram Ultra/Amsoil EA are all great choices for filters.

If you have a warranty on your Jasper engine you may want to look at what that states for oil viscosity. Most likely it's the factory recommended 5w20. Any of the quality synthetics that contain a decent amount of moly will be good for your new Hemi[emoji106]
Yeah my instructions state use of 5W-20.
However it doesn't say anything about full synthetic or blend but I'm going to go full synthetic for sure. now I did turn off MDS you think I could go with something little heavier, because I turned it off?

OP
OP
big daddys house

big daddys house

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What does Jasper recommend ?

I use pup 5-20 and a fram ultra filter. Engine runs smooth and quite. I also do 6 month or 6000 miles oci .
Jasper recommends 5W-20 but doesn't really give any other recommendations.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Turns out, heavier oil does not affect the MDS system. Many are happy with 5-30 red line that will often quite a .noisey hemi. I have the lifetime warranty, if I didnt have this, I would use the redline.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
However it doesn't say anything about full synthetic or blend but I'm going to go full synthetic for sure. now I did turn off MDS you think I could go with something little heavier, because I turned it off?

That's a whole can of worms lol. You can run a 5w30 with MDS on with no problems, many people on here have ran it with 0 issues. FCA recommends 5w20 for CAFE and fuel economy under the guise of "it's for MDS". The 6.4 Hemi in the HD trucks has the exact same MDS system with the exact same part numbers and FCA recommends 0w40.

But it really comes down to your warranty. You don't want to take a chance on voiding it by using a 5w30 vs 5w20. Once it's up tho, I would definitely move to a 5w30.

Whatever you end up choosing, I would pick a full synthetic. Pennzoil Ultra, Mobil 1, Quaker State Ultimate Durability are all great choices that are easily found. Blends are a gamble as to how much is actually a synthetic. Dino oil should be changed every 3-5k max and the only one I would go with in a Hemi is Pennzoil.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hay Adam I've been following your build, I'm using Redline 5w30 full sync with Lube Gard Bio tech 15oz bottle and a SRT filter, I'm hoping to avoid the dreaded Hemi Tick, I run with MDS off at all times, I'm going to use a Wix XP next.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m under warranty for as long as I own my Ram so 5w-20 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and a Wix XP filter’s what I’ve been using although I am still kinda somewhat thinking about switching to that Amsoil Signature Series or something else. The PUP’s been good I guess but yesterday after washing my pickup, I went to move it out of the way right quick so that the girlfriend could put her car in the garage and upon starting it, I definitely heard a pronounced tick but it went away seconds after starting it up. I’ve only heard this tick one other time and it was last summer sometime. Should I consider switching oils?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

south7west

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 LoneStar
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m under warranty for as long as I own my Ram so 5w-20 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and a Wix XP filter’s what I’ve been using although I am still kinda somewhat thinking about switching to that Amsoil Signature Series or something else. The PUP’s been good I guess but yesterday after washing my pickup, I went to move my out of the way right quick so that the girlfriend could put her car in the garage and upon starting it, I definitely heard a pronounced tick but it went away seconds after starting it up. I’ve only heard this tick one other time and it was last summer sometime. Should I consider switching oils?

Ive got the same issue, and I already had my mannifold bolts checked out. Took the headers off, checked the gasket and all the bolts and it was fine. First I used Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5w-20 with a RYP filter, after 5k miles I swapped to Royal Purple 5w-20 with a RYP filter, and still have the tick. Next oil change I am going to go with RedLine 5w-20 or 5w-30 (still not decided) and RYP filter. We will see if that fixes my issue lol

dexter

Banned
Reaction score

It should say that the oil should meet a mopar ms #

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ive got the same issue, and I already had my mannifold bolts checked out. Took the headers off, checked the gasket and all the bolts and it was fine. First I used Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5w-20 with a RYP filter, after 5k miles I swapped to Royal Purple 5w-20 with a RYP filter, and still have the tick. Next oil change I am going to go with RedLine 5w-20 or 5w-30 (still not decided) and RYP filter. We will see if that fixes my issue lol

I don’t know if you’re still under warranty or not but since you mentioned 5w-20 instead of the 5w-30 people talk about when they generally talk about Redline oil, i got curious but it looks like Redline has a Chrysler MS6395-friendly oil in 5w-20.

What say you oil experts on that?

south7west

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 LoneStar
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don’t know if you’re still under warranty or not but since you mentioned 5w-20 instead of the 5w-30 people talk about when they generally talk about Redline oil, i got curious but it looks like Redline has a Chrysler MS6395-friendly oil in 5w-20.

What say you oil experts on that?

I bought my truck with no warranty. @Burla has recommended RedLine 5w-30 in too many threads to count lol, so I would say that's the oil that has the most hemi tick fixes. He did a poll a while back on what killed the tick the most, and switching to RedLine had over 100 confirmed fixes. That poll did not differentiate between using 5w-20 vs 5w-30 so that part is up to you. Personally, I think I'll just go with the OEM recommended viscosity and see how that holds up. If it works, great, if not, I'll be bouncing to 5w-30.

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2011 with 138***miles on her. Running Redline 5w30 summer/5W20 winter, a 15oz bottle of LG Biotech, and the 20-820 RP filter. It’s been gold since switching as I too have been reading @Burla post on this setup for tucking hemis! Truck has been getting quieter and quieter as each start up goes on.

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2014 exfleet truck with 119K and a ton of idle hours, ticks like mad (but also have broken manifold bolts) so switched to 7.5 qts of 5W30 Redline with RP 20-820 filter as per suggestions on this forum.
Sounds worse now but I know that can happen, only about 400 miles since the switch so fingers crossed. Truck runs great, just noisy.