What motor oil and oil filter do you use and why?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
How did I miss another oil thread ?

I've used a PUP blend for quite a while ; 4x 5w20 and 3x 0w40 SRT, however my local Napa quit handling the SRT so I'm switching to Amsoil Signature Series 5w20 for this winter. Not sure what weight I'll use in the Spring, I might mix a few quarts of their 5w30 SS, I need to look at the Moly levels in both. I'll very likely get their filter as well, I've been using the Fram Ultra.

This virus and other recent events have made me even more patriotic than ever and Shell is not an American company.

AE5548

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Redline 5w20 with Royal Purple 20-820. Previously Mobil 1 5w20 with Mobil 1 filter. Immediately after switching to Redline my startups now have zero lifter noise.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wanted to get some ideas, I've had Redline 5w30 in my truck since new, now in the great north the temps been down in the low 30's and then down to -20, I'm getting some good old piston slap at cold start up, I couldn't believe what I was hearing, recommendations here the general consensus is Redline 0w20 and I'm putting a Wix XP oil filter on it, should take care of that problem, thoughts, ideas Thanks All

Dieselhorses

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 cid
Yes I'm resurrecting yet ANOTHER thread! Never before have I been so "consciences" or "paranoid" about what brand or type oil to use in my HEMI! I have read countless articles, threads in this forum and many others including "Bob Is the Oil Guy, Dave's Oil Change, Mopar, ATVA Online, etc.." I currently use the recommended PUP 5W20 along with Liqui-Moly. Between the SRT (MO-041) and the oil it's 57.00. 2 jugs of Redline (8 quarts) and filter is twice that. I know this ideology is getting a little too over rated but I'm sure there's a few of you that would like to see your 30-60k+ investment live to see a few hundred thousand miles! OMG I've came across "Schaeffer, Redline, Motul, Liqui-Moly 2259, Royal Purple" and the list goes on!

I have been using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W20 and I just did my 4th oil change. I use Liqui-Moly the last 2 times and this is third time. Before I actually added it this time, I cranked engine to see what it would sound like and as expected, a few seconds of "ticking" before leveling out. I added the LM, cranked again and NO ticking whatsoever. Now I've also read where lots of you are using PUP 5W30 with no adverse results to MDS (which sucks!). Since I live in Louisiana and temp's barely go below 30 (we get like one week of winter here), would there be any long term negative effects using the 5W30? 0W30? My old Dodge I traded in I always just used 10W-30 in the 5.2 Magnum (you know the engine that didn't have plastic intake, valve covers, radiator etc.)

I guess I just need to hear from someone who has been using a recipe for 100k miles or more in their 2010 or newer 5.7. Thanks !

Best Oil For 5.7 Hemi Engine - 6 Top Hemi Motor Oils in 2021 (atvaonline.com)

Top 7 Best Oil For 5.7 Hemi - DAVES OIL CHANGE

HEMI Start-Up Tick | Page 4 | Bob Is The Oil Guy

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes I'm resurrecting yet ANOTHER thread! Never before have I been so "consciences" or "paranoid" about what brand or type oil to use in my HEMI! I have read countless articles, threads in this forum and many others including "Bob Is the Oil Guy, Dave's Oil Change, Mopar, ATVA Online, etc.." I currently use the recommended PUP 5W20 along with Liqui-Moly. Between the SRT (MO-041) and the oil it's 57.00. 2 jugs of Redline (8 quarts) and filter is twice that. I know this ideology is getting a little too over rated but I'm sure there's a few of you that would like to see your 30-60k+ investment live to see a few hundred thousand miles! OMG I've came across "Schaeffer, Redline, Motul, Liqui-Moly 2259, Royal Purple" and the list goes on!

I have been using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W20 and I just did my 4th oil change. I use Liqui-Moly the last 2 times and this is third time. Before I actually added it this time, I cranked engine to see what it would sound like and as expected, a few seconds of "ticking" before leveling out. I added the LM, cranked again and NO ticking whatsoever. Now I've also read where lots of you are using PUP 5W30 with no adverse results to MDS (which sucks!). Since I live in Louisiana and temp's barely go below 30 (we get like one week of winter here), would there be any long term negative effects using the 5W30? 0W30? My old Dodge I traded in I always just used 10W-30 in the 5.2 Magnum (you know the engine that didn't have plastic intake, valve covers, radiator etc.)

I guess I just need to hear from someone who has been using a recipe for 100k miles or more in their 2010 or newer 5.7. Thanks !

Best Oil For 5.7 Hemi Engine - 6 Top Hemi Motor Oils in 2021 (atvaonline.com)

Top 7 Best Oil For 5.7 Hemi - DAVES OIL CHANGE

HEMI Start-Up Tick | Page 4 | Bob Is The Oil Guy
No problems using 5W30 at all especially in a warmer climate. No issues with MDS whatsoever. Lubegard Biotech is the preferred Moly additive around here if you don’t wish to go with Redline. Personally I’ll never put anything less than 5W30 in a Hemi ever again. Do you happen to know how much Moly Liqui-Moly has in it?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The reason we prefer lubegard is the success rate on the forum plus the fact mos2 gels in the sump. There used to be a sister video to this but was taken down, it shows how the product does or doesn't settle out, lubegard is oil soluble moly so it doesn't settle out. I'm not saying I would never use mos2, but it would be my last choice to kill tick, something I might consider if redline or lubegard failed to get the tick.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Read these and see the polls, you cant see poll results on the phone, if so use a computer or alike. We had been addressing this for like 5 years before these threads, so we have loose numbers on success rates that are similar now dating back a decade. The success rate is so high, it is probably as high as a cam/lifter swap, as many people who do this end up with the tick back. These threads have been a godesnd for those who have found them. Just one option on dealing with this, but for a lot of us the best option. I have been tick free now a decade thanks to redline 5w30 and rp filter.

oil filter thread

redline hemi tick thread

biotech hemi tick thread

Dieselhorses

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 cid
No problems using 5W30 at all especially in a warmer climate. No issues with MDS whatsoever. Lubegard Biotech is the preferred Moly additive around here if you don’t wish to go with Redline. Personally I’ll never put anything less than 5W30 in a Hemi ever again. Do you happen to know how much Moly Liqui-Moly has in it?

Haven't found the exact content yet but a few facts about it can be found here>>> https://liquimolymalaysia.my/blogs/news/4-facts-you-probably-dont-know-about-liqui-moly-mos2

Looking into the Lubegard which makes sense about the "sludge" formed from LM.

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Signature series. But I’ve read so much positive feedback about that Lubeguard product, I want to do whatever I can to keep the valvetrain quiet and smooth. It’s such an expensive oil change anyway, but, I do it myself, and it’s only twice a year. Figure it can’t hurt, only help.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963