What motor oil and oil filter do you use and why?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
BITOG = Burla is the oil guy.

Betcha don't want that title. LMAO

ha, BITOG has it's uses, getting accurate info for the hemi aint one of those uses.

Burla, does the valvoline euro spec 0w-40 contain moly? I'll do a search myself, but likely won't find the info. Does redline make a 0w-40 for the 6.4?

Thanks.

Redline makes a 0w40 for the 6.4, but I don't recommend that. To get into it, 0w40 is super class oils, and redline runs a bit thick for my taste. Super class oils = best effort of many manu's, especially PUP 0w40 by far the best PUP oil. Manu's use 40 weight to skirt API rules on additives, and they make 0w40 right on the viscosity line. If I had a 6.4, I would use 5w40, 5w30, or even 0w30 in redline high performance before I'd use 0w40 redline. Post that question in syn thread as I know a few 6.4 owners that would probably back that up. I would only use 0w30 redline in a 6.4 if I had cold piston slap.

I'm not sure about the question you asked on Valvoline euro, I would say it is in the super class oils and has great base oils, viscosity index of 180 is very impressive and that oil has every desirable spec plus fca hemi spec. I would love to see a uoa/voa of this oil. It is "probably" low saps which means low additives, but with those great base oils I wouldn't worry about that. I might run this over redline 0w40 but dump in some biotech moly. It looks like a real contender for the 6.4.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Vis @ 100°C, CSt 15.4 is redline's 0w40's operating viscosity, every super class 0w40 is between 12.5 and 13.5 Vis @ 100°C, CSt, so redline is crazy thick 2 to 3 full points higher, and we know it is not a tick killer compared to 5w40 and 5w30. From other ram owners that have reported on redline 0w40, I just don't see any use for it. This particular weight of oil has great oils by nearly every oil manufacturer, and happens to be one of redline's worst offerings.

If you are concerned about running redline's lower weight oils in a 6.4, look up hths on those oils plus whatever oil you were considering. Redline 30 weights would likely be the same or higher hths.

Example is the valvoline 0w40 we just discussed, super class oil hths 3.7, and redline 5w30 hths 3.7. At the end of an interval the 5w30 redline would most likely be thicker in every viscosity reading.

Richard Kim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
5,000 mile interval
5W30 PUP Texas summer w/ Biotech
5W20 PUP/Rotella GT winter w/ Biotech

Filters: tried Mopar, WIX XP, Bosch Filtech, Purolator BOSS, Purolator ONE. Like the BOSS the best; good oil pressure + 27 grams of dirt capacity, good for 15K miles, overbuilt can.

Bought 4 jugs of the Costco 5W30. Will try it out and report back

VelocityC6Z

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Used 0w-40 Mobil 1 because I had a lot extra from my corvette that has 750 hp and the best oil studies done... switched to redline 5w's-30 because of the forum, noticed no difference, the oil study seemed irrelevant for how long I'll own the truck for. At 200k miles either oil is negligable imo... but he only two I'll over use on any vehicle.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
ha, BITOG has it's uses, getting accurate info for the hemi aint one of those uses.

Redline makes a 0w40 for the 6.4, but I don't recommend that. To get into it, 0w40 is super class oils, and redline runs a bit thick for my taste. Super class oils = best effort of many manu's, especially PUP 0w40 by far the best PUP oil. Manu's use 40 weight to skirt API rules on additives, and they make 0w40 right on the viscosity line. If I had a 6.4, I would use 5w40, 5w30, or even 0w30 in redline high performance before I'd use 0w40 redline. Post that question in syn thread as I know a few 6.4 owners that would probably back that up. I would only use 0w30 redline in a 6.4 if I had cold piston slap.

I'm not sure about the question you asked on Valvoline euro, I would say it is in the super class oils and has great base oils, viscosity index of 180 is very impressive and that oil has every desirable spec plus fca hemi spec. I would love to see a uoa/voa of this oil. It is "probably" low saps which means low additives, but with those great base oils I wouldn't worry about that. I might run this over redline 0w40 but dump in some biotech moly. It looks like a real contender for the 6.4.

Man, thanks so much for all of that. Walmart sent me the full synthetic 0w 40 euro spec when I ordered the advanced which has the Mopar spec. It seems ok, so I guess I'll run it for now.

PUP was ok also, I just prefer valvoline oils. Thanks again for all the info, much appreciated. With your input I'm just going to run it till next year's change. Normally I only have to change annually, I don't run many miles and this coves has only lessened the mileage.

Red-R/T

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Used Mobil 1 5w 20 and the Mopar SRT Filter. The SRT Filter seemed a little larger in diameter but, fit okay.
I saw it posted on this site and had it delivered to my house free.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Fleetguard Stratopore and Valvoline Premium Blue. Recommended by Cummins.

Leonard Russo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My 2018 6.4 2500 calls for Pennzoil SRT 0W-40 and thats what I’m sticking with along with dealer oil changes since I have a 8 year /100 K mile Mopar Warranty !

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wix seems to Always be a popular oil filter.

It’s what I’ve always used with Pup but I dunno, something intrigued me about the Amsoil filter when I decided to make the change to Amsoil oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cham

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
0W40 full synthetic in summer and 0W20 in the winter. I use the mopar filter I bought a case when I picked up the truck. When they run out likely use WIX available at local parts store. So far so good but only 30K km on this '19 6.4 2500.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah my instructions state use of 5W-20.
However it doesn't say anything about full synthetic or blend but I'm going to go full synthetic for sure. now I did turn off MDS you think I could go with something little heavier, because I turned it off?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Don't go heavier. It's a piston ring tension thing! You run a risk of high oil consumption.

Bowzer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Sold off the '18...maybe another soon.
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Amazing to watch another oil thread catch fire so quick...a never ending instigator for conversation fosho!

BigDaddy, glad to hear that motor is still singing for you brother.

I use Redline 5-30 officially as of last oil change. 4500k miles later and the motor continues to get smoother and quieter now pushing past 41,500 miles on the clock.

Have always used the RP filter. Seems to work well but I sure don't like how small the dang thing is!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Amazing to watch another oil thread catch fire so quick...a never ending instigator for conversation fosho!

BigDaddy, glad to hear that motor is still singing for you brother.

I use Redline 5-30 officially as of last oil change. 4500k miles later and the motor continues to get smoother and quieter now pushing past 41,500 miles on the clock.

Have always used the RP filter. Seems to work well but I sure don't like how small the dang thing is!

You are using 10-48? 20-820 can be used as well.

JS4024

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Always used Amsoil 5-20 signature, amsoil filter. No tic on my 5.7l and it has 118k on it. Listen to the snake oil guys and you will still have a tick. (BTW using 5w-30 actually reduces the oil to the mains and takes longer to pump to the top of the motor) I know a guy who over thinks everything and he put on a pre start electric pump....