What noise is this???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AlbertaRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 V8
2016 Ram 1500, Hemi 5.7 with 142k kms.

Just purchased this ‘new to me’ 2016 Ram a few weeks ago. Love the truck but this noise/knock/tick/squeak I’m hearing is driving me insane. Just had it at dealer yesterday and was told normal operation don’t worry. It’s obviously out of warranty so I’m thinking if they wanted my money why not tell something is wrong.

Stays the same at cold start to normal operation temps. It’s quieter in <P>ark but notably louder when in <D>rive with brake on and increases in repetition with increase in engine operation. Just had new oil change (Penz Platinum 5w20) a couple days ago. No CEL, no sputtering just this annoying knock/clanging/squeaky sound.

Goes into a reputable local shop on Wednesday (March 29th) for in-depth diagnostic to find root cause. Any insight before it goes in? I’ve heard anything from bad Flexplate to Torque Converter to Rods/Bearings… or is this simply what a Hemi 5.7 sounds like? I have no idea.

Have a listen..

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
2016 Ram 1500, Hemi 5.7 with 142k kms.

Just purchased this ‘new to me’ 2016 Ram a few weeks ago. Love the truck but this noise/knock/tick/squeak I’m hearing is driving me insane. Just had it at dealer yesterday and was told normal operation don’t worry. It’s obviously out of warranty so I’m thinking if they wanted my money why not tell something is wrong.

Stays the same at cold start to normal operation temps. It’s quieter in <P>ark but notably louder when in <D>rive with brake on and increases in repetition with increase in engine operation. Just had new oil change (Penz Platinum 5w20) a couple days ago. No CEL, no sputtering just this annoying knock/clanging/squeaky sound.

Goes into a reputable local shop on Wednesday (March 29th) for in-depth diagnostic to find root cause. Any insight before it goes in? I’ve heard anything from bad Flexplate to Torque Converter to Rods/Bearings… or is this simply what a Hemi 5.7 sounds like? I have no idea.

Have a listen..

Pick up a mechanics stethascope at Princess Auto if you don't have one,then run it over the oilpan and valve covers , it should help you isolate the noise

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A stethoscope is a great thing to have in your toolbox. You will find endless uses for one wherever bearings exist or devices with internal moving parts.

If you've forgotten it at home or loaned it to a buddy, find a big screwdriver and a big plastic jug or pop bottle with the opening close in size to the screwdriver handle.

Cut the base off the jug and tape the screwdriver just inside the opening. It's a slight bit bulky but quite reactive to internal noises and vibrations, etc.

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know it is concerning but it will likely be impossible to diagnose without engine tear down or an actual failure. It's pretty much speculation.

If it makes you feel any better mine sounds very similiar, 20k miles later no difference. If you do manage to stumble across the cause I'd love to know for myself though.

I can probably rule out transmission as the cause because I had mine rebuilt and it still makes that loping knocking sound. I say its gotta be in the engine.

I will say a fresh healthy hemi does not make that sound though.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Doesn't sound hard enough like a rod knock. Doesn't sound like an Exh manifold leak. But keep investigating just in case.

Mine sounds just like that, and has for years :D. I've toyed with putting in a new set of lifters one of these days.

Nicholas Cove

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would say it's an internal issue in the engine. Putting it in drive increases thrust pressures on bearings hence quiet in park but noisy in drive. Could be a bad rod bearing or even a noisy piston/wrist pin.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
FWIW mines been making that noise for years...

Ive always assumed its just piston slap but if you find out otherwise please let us know. I brought mine to my mechanic and he didn't hear anything serious with a stethoscope.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Grab a long 3/8 or 1/2 extensnon, place one end on block, one end against your head, right in front of your ear, just like induction, bluetooth hands free, headset.

Move end againsst the engien, aroudn, until you fidn the area where it is comeing from.
MHO?
Back pressure is causing something to work harder, causing the ticking. could be rod,a s mentioned, but I am goign with lifters. Might want to check amount of exhaust back pressure or clogged catylatic convertor. to much, makes it all work too hard, causeing engine ot bear down.

as stated, this kind of stuff can go trouble for eyars, until it gets so bnad that just stops.

had a cat do that to me on a Buick that got dorve ever week or three, for 10 miles or less. finally, thing would not hit 20mph.