What Octane do you run in the 5.7L Hemi eTorque?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kevin Kidder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just a general question for all of you:

The manual recommends running 89 Octane in the 5.7L Hemi. Does anyone run anything else? Do you notice a difference in either the performance of the truck and/or gas mileage?

Thanks.

Kevin

slim chance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 eTorque
on page 551, my manual says
"5.7L Engine
Do not use E-85 flex fuel or ethanol blends greater than 15% in this engine.
This engine is designed to meet all emissions
regulations and provide satisfactory fuel economy and performance when using high-quality unleaded gasoline having an octane range of 87 to 89 as specified by the (R+M)/2 method."

SO, i use 87 or 88 (15% blend) in our truck and avg. 18.5 around town and 20 hiway ..this is PA so we have lots of rolling hills and i do NOT have any engine rattles

logboom

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Etorque
Just purchased my 23 RAM LARAMIE with the 5.7 Etourque.
I've only burned a tank and a half of gas which I purchase at my local Safeway without paying enough attention to the ethanol % etc.
Salesman told me to " just use regular " gas.
Guess I'll be shopping for better gasoline.

woojyee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
We don't have 89 in my area so I have used 87 (10% ethanol) and 91. I don't notice a difference in MPG nor does it knock when using 87. Sometimes, I'll fill up at a 1/2 tank with 91 to get me to 89. I think the best thing is to use a top tier fuel.

yrraljguthrie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
etorque5.7
Vehicles don't knock anymore. The computer can tell when it has to change the timing. There is some difference in mileage but not a lot. When the computer senses the 87 octane (by when it detonates) it changes the timing and so the engine doesn't operate at max output.

IGotABigHorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi ETorque
I only run 93 in my vehicles and motorcycles. Been doing this for 30 plus years and never had an issue. I am not easy on my stuff but strictly maintain everything.