What Octane Is Everyone Running

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jhg57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
89 octane

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For those that care. Shell V-Power 91 octane here in Canada does not contain ethanol. Their mid grade 89 octane only has up to 5% ethanol. Their regular 87 octane has up to 10% ethanol. This is as posted on their pumps. I think mileage goes up without the ethanol, but there is a (average) 30 cent premium per litre ( no pun intended) to go 91. That said, I’m still running the factory recommended 89.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
On my Victory Magnum which was said to required mid or premium, it was cheaper for me to buy a bottle of Star Tron by far and throw it in every tank to negate the issues with ethanol on components and to condition fuel between rides as well. Another option was to buy a good octane booster (i have a bottle of Lucas in the garage) in case I ran into crappy gas or elevation where octane boost would be beneficial. Again, the math made it far cheaper than purchasing premium fuel.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In my old Ram, 89 was all I ever ran in it because the manual said that was recommended over the 87 for max performance and mileage up until I retuned with a Diablo Sport tuner, then I’d run 91, with the exception of 93 when I could find it but, in my new truck, I have been running 89 but recently I switched to non-ethanol 87 just to try it out. So far I really can’t even tell a difference. Maybe it’s because of my Pedal Commander but it seems the same. As far as whether or not my fuel mileage has been lowered since the switch, this is only my second tank’s worth so, I don’t know yet. I’m gonna take it on a long trip this weekend so hopefully I’ll be able to tell if the higher octane is worth the extra cost or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

doubleM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
87 or 91 are our only two choices at 95% of the stations in Nebraska. Usually alternate to blend.